AMTRAK discount

While it's nice they are giving you 20% off the regular adult fare, they also have a "SAVER" fare available (if you book early... these fares do vanish closer to date of travel) which is a MUCH better deal. For 2 people a one way "SAVER" fare from Hartford, CT to NYC on 8/29/15 is $64, but the regular adult fare would be $166, so even with 20% off, it is no deal. Saver fare is MUCH MUCH better, but you do need to buy them early.

Edited by vince_g

AMTRAK=expensive and almost always late.

I suppose if you live in the NE it may work, but I have never had a good experience on Amtrak. Every time, train was over an hour late. Train could have been cleaner.

While it's nice they are giving you 20% off the regular adult fare, they also have a "SAVER" fare available (if you book early... these fares do vanish closer to date of travel) which is a MUCH better deal. For 2 people a one way "SAVER" fare from Hartford, CT to NYC on 8/29/15 is $64, but the regular adult fare would be $166, so even with 20% off, it is no deal. Saver fare is MUCH MUCH better, but you do need to buy them early.

We plan on taking the train from upstate NY to Penn Station in February, but no fares ever show up in the Saver category when I try to price them. Any idea why? Is it only certain routes, days, etc?

We plan on taking the train from upstate NY to Penn Station in February, but no fares ever show up in the Saver category when I try to price them. Any idea why? Is it only certain routes, days, etc?

We actually are taking the train on 8/29 from Hartford, CT to NYC for a long weekend, and taking Peter Pan back (the Vermonter is the train we'd have to take back at 11:30 and it's so much more than the regular Northeast regional. Also we find taking the train back stressful due to the crowds rushing the gate at Penn, and because the trains originate in Washington, it can be tough finding 2 seats together by the time they reach NYC).

In any event, the "VALUE" fare is still less than the full fare discounted by 20%

Here is some information I found on Amtrak's website, and it does address your question.

Saver Fares

Non-refundable

eVoucher available: Full value, no fees.

Saver Fares are the lowest available fares and include deeply discounted offers (14-day advance purchase, flash fares, web only). Saver Fares are non-refundable but can be canceled with the ticket value stored as credit in an eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.

The Saver Fare is not available on all trains and buses. The number of seats available on each train at the Saver Fare is limited.

Value Fares

Refundable: Full refund if canceled 24 hours or more before departure. 10% fee charged if less than 24 hours. Unreserved tickets incur 10% fee at all times.

Value Fares offer several refund options. Value Fare tickets are fully refundable if canceled more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure from the origin but will incur a 10% refund fee if canceled less than 24 hours prior to scheduled departure. Value Fare tickets can be canceled with the ticket value stored as a credit in an eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.

The Value Fare is available on all trains and buses. The number of seats available on each train at the Value Fare is limited.

Flexible Fares

Refundable: Full value, no fees.

Flexible Fares are 100% refundable without any refund fee. Flexible Fare tickets can be canceled for a full refund of the ticket value or with the ticket value stored as a credit in an eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel.

The Flexible Fare is available on most trains and buses. The number of seats available on each train at the Flexible Fare is limited.

Premium Service

Premium Service includes all upgraded services such as Acela Express First class, non-Acela Express Business class and all sleeping accommodations (rooms). Refund rules for Premium Service are based on the service.

Premium Service varies by train. The number of Premium seats and rooms available on each train is limited.

Edited by vince_g
typo

We took it from jacksonville FL to Miami last Thanksgiving for $118 for the 4 of us. I just did not want to have to drive down because we always end up hitting traffic going down and the train option is cheaper than renting a one way car. It was interesting, this was our first time on the train for a long distance. i have taken Greyhound solo before many times, and the train was nicer but the people were really interesting. There was a near fight between an elderly couple and a younger lady who had several kids, the older people were complaining loudly that the kids from jersey were disrupting his sleep and were noisy the night before. Yes the train was late but I found out we could have caught the earlier train if we had wanted. Most of the people cleared out in Orlando so we had a nicer ride from Orlando to Miami. Then as we were coming into Ft Lauderdale something broke and we coasted into Miami. i would use them again. My husband thought it was too long preferred being in our own car. The kids liked the ride but not the people coming and going.

icon1.gif

For anyone traveling by train(or thinking of it) before April 25 of next year,

I found this discount on line.

I just purchased 2 round trip tickets for less than $200

http://amtrak.com/train-days

Thank you.

I tried to book it and did a mock booking but I didn't get a reduced rate.

I am trying to book for September 9 in a roomette but it gives me the

price without the discount. Do I need to do something or add something?

Thank you.

I guess our route isn't available as a 'saver' fare.

My husband is looking forward to doing the train rather than driving into the city. He travels all over the state for work and is over driving anywhere. LOL. We will go in the day before and go back after debarking. Being Feb., the weather will most likely be awful somewhere along the way, so not having to worry about it and driving in it will be nice. We will have our 2 boys (3 and 11) with us too and I know the 3 year old will prefer the freedom and space on a train versus being cooped up in a carseat--not to mention the coolness of it being on a train. We talked about a bus, but we'd have to drive a 2-3 hours to catch the nearest shuttle to the pier whereas we can catch the train 15-20 minutes from home. The regular fare is $186 each way for the 4 of us and the OP link did knock it down to $161.20, so thank you OP. I saved the link to use to buy the tickets when we get a little bit closer to needing them.

I have taken the Coast Starlight with a bedroom many times and have found out that they could give me a20 discount on the fare but nothing on the Bedroom which is the expensive part. I love the ride and meeting people! I will be taking it again from LA to Seattle! Looking forward to the Coast Starlight as much as the Jewel!