Better internet on Carnival's ships--The wave of the future?

shrimp56

Actually the internet on the Westerdam was just fine. The unlimited package we had (equivalent to what is in the report) was less than $16 per day.

I was very surprised how well it worked with many having unlimited. :)

I'd love to see it available throughout the fleet and definitely stay on the Westerdam :)

There was a cruise over Christmas that had a very well priced unlimited Internet plan that from CC member reports said it worked incredibly well.

I expect Koningsdam to have it, and Eurodam/NA to have it sooner rather than later.

On Volendam last week to Alaska, there were only the usual packages, e.g., 100 minutes, etc., until the end, and then this appeared:

P1010625_zpsty6pszxu.jpg

PS I meant to say that the librarian on Volendam said the Westerdam is the only ship with the full cruise unlimited internet package. I had an idea that it was being tried out on other ships, too.

Edited by Vict0riann

It's a smart business move that all the cruise lines should and most likely will adopt. Particularly making it inexpensive and reliable. What better way to promote their ships with instant tweets, facebook posts, instagram pix etc. It's a marketing team, advertising dream.

It's a smart business move that all the cruise lines should and most likely will adopt. Particularly making it inexpensive and reliable. What better way to promote their ships with instant tweets, facebook posts, instagram pix etc. It's a marketing team, advertising dream.

Sure is :)

Does the Westerdam always have unlimited internet packages? We're sailing her to Alaska and I'd love to have some kind of deal. On our past two cruises, I had to work and spend $500 on internet!

Does the Westerdam always have unlimited internet packages? We're sailing her to Alaska and I'd love to have some kind of deal. On our past two cruises, I had to work and spend $500 on internet!

I don't think so. I believe this was a kind of trial, and a very successful one from our viewpoint.;) I think it went back to the usual packages when the Alaska season began.

The company that's installing the new hardware is scheduled to do all the HAL ships in the next few years.

You know... I'm not 100% convinced of the wisdom of having everyone on a ship walking around, looking at their screens. I can see a lot more tripping and falling in the future. (Of course, we'll be able to upload the hilarious texting & falling video to YouTube right away. You can go viral and get Norovirus - all in one trip!)

Be safe. Do not walk and text. That's what barstools are for.

Edited by POA1

I don't think so. I believe this was a kind of trial, and a very successful one from our viewpoint.;) I think it went back to the usual packages when the Alaska season began.

We had the new internet set-up on our Westerdam Alaska cruise May 2-9. It was fantastic! Sure hope they continue the program. My sister was easily able to keep in touch for work, and post daily to her cruise blog.

On Volendam last week to Alaska, there were only the usual packages, e.g., 100 minutes, etc., until the end, and then this appeared:

P1010625_zpsty6pszxu.jpg

That's a standard offer that's been appearing for years.