Falmouth - mobility issues

When we landed in Falmouth a few years ago, we were surprised at how far we had to walk to taxis. My husband can't walk far. Does RCCL now have any means for assisting passengers through the long series of shops to the taxi/bus area? Thank you.

When we landed in Falmouth a few years ago, we were surprised at how far we had to walk to taxis. My husband can't walk far. Does RCCL now have any means for assisting passengers through the long series of shops to the taxi/bus area? Thank you.

Not sure about Falmouth but at Labadee a couple of years ago a crewmember was waiting at the ship and the end of the pier with a wheel chair transporting passengers.

Edited by aftop
mispelled word

RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation and disembarkation days. RCCL does not loan wheelchairs one on board. Therefore if your husband requires wheelchair assistance than you either have to rent one from of RCCL's pre-approved vendors wheelchair or bring your own.

Just getting from the ships gangway to the customs building is long walk than it's even further to the taxi area so OP really needs to bring their own or rent a wheelchair prior to the cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Not sure about Falmouth but at Labadee a couple of years ago a crewmember was waiting at the ship and the end of the pier with a wheel chair transporting passengers.

RCCL will provide wheelchair assistance at Labadee because the wheelchair pusher does not have to go through customs since it's RCCL's private and a customs check is not required. The issue with Falmouth is that in order to get to the taxi area the RCCL wheelchair pusher has to go out of the direct secured dock and actually enter Falmouth which RCCL's does not allow it's staff to do unless it's a scheduled time off for that staffer person.

Labadee is RCIs private beach and they do provide LIMITED WCs to access the beach where again there are LIMITED beach WC available

but for general walking around even on Labadee, you will need to provide your own. and you can only rent from like 2 companies with contracts/agreements with the cruise lines and port authorities

It really is a very long walk to get to the taxi/bus pick up for the tours in Falmouth. I did not see any kind of jitney service. We could have used something since I have chronic sciatica and by the time I got to the bus I was in severe pain and my foot drop kicked in.

They should probably offer those bicycle carts like they use in Cozumel.

If he has that much of a mobility issue I would arrange for a wheel chair from Special Needs at sea or Care Vacations or plan not to get off in Falmouth.

We could have used something since I have chronic sciatica and by the time I got to the bus I was in severe pain and my foot drop kicked in...

I "Awww..." 'ed when I read this. So sorry you were in pain, Deb. It must have made for a less than wonderful rest of the day. :(

Nope, RCL doesn't provide any help in Falmouth and it is a very long walk to exit the ship and get through the shopping area. However, there isn't much to see in Falmouth and many consider it a wasted stop in an RCL manufactured port. It's a long ride to get anywhere. After several poor experiences in Falmouth, I just stay on the ship.

Perhaps you should consider booking a tour through the ship to avoid the long walks to taxis or private tours.

LuLu

does no good. the tour drop off area is the same for ship tours and any privately booked ones.. waaaaaay the heck out past the gate/vendor area.

No. You will have to bring your own WC or other device. The WC on board are not for use off the ship

Incorrect...I have used an RCCL rental wheelchair for my last 2 cruises......the crew helped pull the wheelchair down from the gankplank to the port. I also got assistance at muster drill and all ports that I wanted to see. I chose not to tender in!

Perhaps you should consider booking a tour through the ship to avoid the long walks to taxis or private tours.

LuLu

Have you ever been to Falmouth? Have you ever taken a tour there? The meeting point requires a walk nearly to the exit of the port area.

I "Awww..." 'ed when I read this. So sorry you were in pain, Deb. It must have made for a less than wonderful rest of the day. :(

Actually, it made for a less than wonderful rest of the cruise!

Thank you for the kind words.

Have you ever been to Falmouth? Have you ever taken a tour there? The meeting point requires a walk nearly to the exit of the port area.

Yes, we've been to Falmouth on an Oasis port stop but didn't take a tour because we've been to Jamaica lots of times over the years. We just hung out in the port area which was actually rather nice. :)

Did see folks in wheelchairs following their excursion# for ship's tours. Don't know how far they had to go but they were assisted.

LuLu

Yes, we've been to Falmouth on an Oasis port stop but didn't take a tour because we've been to Jamaica lots of times over the years. We just hung out in the port area which was actually rather nice. :)

Did see folks in wheelchairs following their excursion# for ship's tours. Don't know how far they had to go but they were assisted.

LuLu

I'm not sure what you mean by "following their excursion#". We were on the second stop Oasis made in Falmouth and several times since then and tours have always met far from the ship. Perhaps you were thinking about another port.

I'm not sure what you mean by "following their excursion#"...

Ship's tours meet inside the ship or on the pier at a designated spot, then follow the staff member/guide/leader who usually holds up a placard with a number on it and those in that group follow him/her to the bus.

Contact Special Needs At Sea. http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

You can rent a wheel chair or a scooter from them for the cruise. It will be waiting for you in your cabin when you board and you leave it in your cabin when you leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

These are good people and you can rent just about any medical device from them for a cruise.

Ship's tours meet inside the ship or on the pier at a designated spot, then follow the staff member/guide/leader who usually holds up a placard with a number on it and those in that group follow him/her to the bus.

You are correct, but that doesn't help the OP. Have you ever taken a tour in Falmouth? In Falmouth that "designated spot" has always been near the exit from the port, a long walk from the ship. No one has ever helped passengers get to that designated spot.

Edited by Big Beer Gut

It really is a very long walk to get to the taxi/bus pick up for the tours in Falmouth. I did not see any kind of jitney service. We could have used something since I have chronic sciatica and by the time I got to the bus I was in severe pain and my foot drop kicked in.

They should probably offer those bicycle carts like they use in Cozumel.

If he has that much of a mobility issue I would arrange for a wheel chair from Special Needs at sea or Care Vacations or plan not to get off in Falmouth.

About 500 yards I would estimate, all paved.

You are correct, but that doesn't help the OP. Have you ever taken a tour in Falmouth? In Falmouth that "designated spot" has always been near the exit from the port, a long walk from the ship. No one has ever helped passengers get to that designated spot.

I agree. We took a tour in Falmouth in April. We do not have mobility issues. So it was not a problem. But, our tour ticket told us to meet at the tour tent in the port and find our tour number. It would be a long walk for some--and it was very crowded under the tent [trying to find the correct tour #].

It will take some planning to make this port work for the OP.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Understood, but I was more so explaining to you what you didn't seem to understand about a precious poster's comment.

Understood, but I was more so explaining to you what you didn't seem to understand about a precious poster's comment.

I understand that there were never any guides that assembled the tour groups by the ship in Falmouth and there never any guides with "lollipops" leading passengers through the port. At best it was from a covered meeting area near the pier exit to a nearby bus. It's mis-leading to suggest anything else.

I understand that there were never any guides that assembled the tour groups by the ship in Falmouth and there never any guides with "lollipops" leading passengers through the port. At best it was from a covered meeting area near the pier exit to a nearby bus. It's mis-leading to suggest anything else.

Hey Gut, Welcome to CC. You are correct, I think some of the others have either never been to Falmouth or are remembering the old days where the RCL staff leads you of the ship carrying a lollipop. I've only sailed on the Oasis or Allure the last few years, but there are too many passengers on Oasis/Allure to use the follow the lollipop of th e ship approach. I'm not sure what RCL does on the other ships, perhaps the follow the lolliopop has also been eliminated on those ships as well. Peraps RCL staff cuts also has an effect.