P &O vs Carnival

I'm looking to book a cruise for my birthday next year and p and o have a great sale on St the moment. .. ocean view for the price of interior and a few other bonuses. I've only cruised carnival before. Is p and o similar standard and feel? Do they have a kids pool? And an adults deck and gym? The website says full refund if you cancel more than 181 days before cruising. Is it straightforward to get a refund if we change our minds?

I'm looking to book a cruise for my birthday next year and p and o have a great sale on St the moment. .. ocean view for the price of interior and a few other bonuses. I've only cruised carnival before. Is p and o similar standard and feel? Do they have a kids pool? And an adults deck and gym? The website says full refund if you cancel more than 181 days before cruising. Is it straightforward to get a refund if we change our minds?

If you cancel before the 181 days it is quite easy to get the refund. I had a Carnival cruise booked for November 2016, however now that Royal Caribbean have released their 2016 cruises and we're much better value, I booked Royal and cancelled my Carnival cruise and was refunded the deposit without hassle.

To compare P&O and Carnival it really depends on what ships you're looking at, who you're traveling with, and what you like to experience in a cruise.

I have cruised on Carnival Spirit and really enjoyed the ship and cruise. However with regards to Carnival Legend, feedback from other TA's I work with and other clients and also cruisers on these forums point to Carnival legend being quite an older ship decor wise, a bit of a Las Vegas hotel crazy theming, less entertainment and activities on board this ship and food not being that great.

With P&O again it depends on the ship - Aria and Eden are the most modern looking ones however the ships are much smaller so you will need to check the deck plan and see if you're happy with the facilities. The best of the P&O ships tend to be Dawn and Jewel sister ships. P&O currently is in the middle of a whole rebranding to steer away from that schoolies crowd they have seemed to start attracting. If you're thinking of traveling on P&O after the rebranding I think you'd be really impressed.

Thanks Luckie. The ship is the Pacific Jewel sailing in May 2016. Is that after the rebranding. We sailed on the Legend last time and really loved it. The decor didn't bother us and we found that onboard activities really fun.

We are a family with kids aged 12-5 years. The things we liked were the MDR, gym, adults area, waterslides, kids club and comedy shows (esp the fact the kids could come to the early shows with us). Not interested in nightlife or gambling.

I guess I'm concerned that P & O don't have the waterslides and water park and their outdoor options seem to be all things you need to pay for. Also wondering whether having the tips not inclusive effects the service. I'd rather just have inclusive tips and know the staff are being paid a decent(ish) wage. Also concerned about sailing from White Bay. Do all P&O ships sail from there? We are 15 minutes door to door on the train from CQ so that was a big advantage for us on Carnival.

On the other hand, the deal is really too good to be true...will be <$100 per night with ocean view with onboard credit, soft drinks and half price deposit. Usually I'm pretty open with dates/itineraries but I really want to be somewhere nice for my 40th so feeling the pressure to make the right choice this time.

Thanks Luckie. The ship is the Pacific Jewel sailing in May 2016. Is that after the rebranding. We sailed on the Legend last time and really loved it. The decor didn't bother us and we found that onboard activities really fun.

The Pacific Jewel has just been in to dry dock, so it now has all the new features like The Pantry :)

We went on the Carnival Legend and we did NOT enjoy it.

I guess I'm concerned that P & O don't have the waterslides and water park and their outdoor options seem to be all things you need to pay for.

You dont need waterslides and a water park to have fun ;), there is plenty in the kids club to keep the week ones happy.

Also wondering whether having the tips not inclusive effects the service. I'd rather just have inclusive tips and know the staff are being paid a decent(ish) wage.

The tips are included in your cruise faire :), but if a staff member gives you great service, then you are welcome to tip extra.

Also concerned about sailing from White Bay. Do all P&O ships sail from there?

Yes, all P&O and most Princess ships do sail from White Bay.

(BUT once it a while (Like today) when there is two ships in some times P&O are at OPT, so like today the Pacific Pearl is at OPT and the Sun Princess is at White Bay.

Hope this helps :)

We have had three trips on the Jewel which we really enjoyed whilst our only trip on the Pearl was a real misadventure. We are currently eyeing off a cruise into the islands from Melbourne in January to use up a FCD which I expect will be our last with P&O will be sticking with Princess from then on.

Sounds like a great deal you are looking at.

I guess I'm concerned that P & O don't have the waterslides and water park and their outdoor options seem to be all things you need to pay for. Also wondering whether having the tips not inclusive effects the service. I'd rather just have inclusive tips and know the staff are being paid a decent(ish) wage. Also concerned about sailing from White Bay.

P&O removed the tips at least five ago. I know that Princess removed tips on 1st May 2011 and P&O did it probably two years prior to that. We cruise a lot and haven't found the service any different on ships with tipping to those without. It is probably better without the tips. I can remember one cruise before the tips were taken off on Princess that a waiter didn't want to serve us with a softdrink that was included in the package we had bought because (he said) he "wouldn't get a tip". We were sitting in the Vista Lounge and he would have had to walk back to the bar, get the drink and return to us. We were stunned, but smiled nicely: he went and got the drink.

The stewards are paid a reasonable wage. By the standards in their countries it is a fantastic wage. You can still tip is you wish to but it is not expected.

White Bay is in a difficult location and you would need to get a taxi. Otherwise it is good. The added advantage is sailing under the Harbour Bridge.:)

I would say scrap both those ideas & go with Royal on a Voyager class ship as they have the DreamWorks experience for the kids as well as the flow rider, ice skating rink, the rock wall, video arcade, mini golf, basketball court, dedicated teen lounge & disco, plus the usual kids club stuff. :D

Plus loads of great stuff for the big kids!

Don't recall a large waterslide though.

They have had some good prices on Voyager class lately.

Avalon...I wish but unless I'm reading the website wrongly rci do not cruise or of Sydney in May next year at all. Can that be right?

Yes correct - they don't have a ship here all year as yet, most reposition to Alaska or Asia for our Winter.

I didn't realise you had a set time to travel sorry. I think their latest cruises are in March/April.

P & O is a great basic cruise line. The food is fine (nothing special), the entertainment is fair and the cabins are a decent size.

The sale certainly tipped it over for me, especially the free shore excursion.

I used the new P & O booking agent service - they have their own agents who can offer a direct service. Using this agent they got the deal for me even though the cruise I wanted wasn't in the sale. They also gave a 10 day cooling off period before I have to pay the deposit. Better than what the local TA could do for me.

End of the day the price is good and you get what you pay for. If you are happy with the deal then go for it!

Unless you are getting P&O for at least half the cost of Carnival it is absolutely not worth cruising with them, you would be very disappointed after going Carnival!

They are a bare bones cruise line that have made cuts to just about every part of their product, nickel and dime you to death for everything and offer old outdated ships with a lack of service staff. One thing I must give them credit for though, is they have an excellent lunch menu in the MDR :) About the only thing they do better/on par with other lines.

Have travelled on P&O since the "rebranding/ like no place on Earth" and they've only got worse in my opinion.

If it isn't much more in cost I would 100% without question stick with Carnival or go with Royal Caribbean, HEAPS better value for money.

Unless you are getting P&O for at least half the cost of Carnival it is absolutely not worth cruising with them, you would be very disappointed after going Carnival!

They are a bare bones cruise line that have made cuts to just about every part of their product, nickel and dime you to death for everything and offer old outdated ships with a lack of service staff. One thing I must give them credit for though, is they have an excellent lunch menu in the MDR :) About the only thing they do better/on par with other lines.

Have travelled on P&O since the "rebranding/ like no place on Earth" and they've only got worse in my opinion.

If it isn't much more in cost I would 100% without question stick with Carnival or go with Royal Caribbean, HEAPS better value for money.

That is my dilemma, the P&O price is about 70% of the price on Carnival but is also a much better itinerary for us (Vanuatu instead of Fiji...I have no interest in visiting Suva and Port D).