Southampton Hotels

smj777

We have just booked our first P&O cruise from Southampton for 14 days and we want to travel down and stay over the night before embarkation.

There seem to be lots of hotels near the port that offer overnight stay, B&B, 15 nights parking and can arrange transfers to the ship. Can readers recommend which ones are the best/ most reliable.

The Mercure Dolphin Hotel is very popular and they do a Cruise package that includes parking. http://www.dolphin-southampton.com/stay_and_cruise.html

We opt to stay at the Premier Inn at West Quay most often and book valet parking at the terminal with CPS as we find this the most convenient thing, especially on returning when all you want to do is pack the car and get on the road!

Either option would be good depending on what you are looking for and budget.

Have a great Cruise!

Eddie

Edited by supered

Mercure Dolphin was certainly the cheapest option when I booked it. Hotel is fine, centrally located, 5 mins taxi to the ship ( booked as part of the package) which also worked very well on return journey. Car does not leave hotel car park ( unlike some which are taken off site)

Am booked In there again in 4 weeks time.

Just one tip - ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel as it does front a main road.

The Holiday in is OK too but we found it noisy and basic. The Mercure is in an old building and quaint!

If you want to consider say a hotel like Premier Inn that dont provide parking during your cruise consider parking your car with Parking4cruises they do virtually the same as CPS but are a lot cheaper and give excellent service.

There have been lots of posts re this question. Put it in the search and see what comes up.

For us there is only one place - the Holiday Inn. Have done the Dolphin and though the restaurant was very good the rest was rubbish (at best).

The HI isn't mega posh but the views, parking, location and service make up for it

Just our opinion

Another vote for the Holiday Inn. As previously said, it is not posh but it is in a great location, is always very clean, has very friendly, helpful staff and the buffet breakfast is nice with the hot items normally cooked in small batches ensuring freshness. And if you wake early you can watch your ship come in if at the front of the Hotel!

Recently had a stay at The Mercure Dolphin. It was one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. Our room was dusty and the bathroom smelt like really bad drains, the radiator and kettle did not work and worst of all was the appalling loud music and noise from the seedy lap dancing club directly opposite the hotel.

We never slept a wink all night....despite the ear plugs the hotel kindly provided in the room. Apparently the rooms at the front have "noise challenges"......never was British understatement so obvious! :rolleyes:

Actually P&O have offered to refund our money for the night's stay. I believe they have had quite a few complaints about The Mercure Dolphin.

By contrast, The Holiday Inn and The Premier Inn are basic but clean and you get a peaceful nights sleep.

I liked the Holiday Inn but find it to be so expensive for one night. This year we have stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn, West Quay Travelodge and we are in the Mercure in August all at a fraction of the cost of the Holiday Inn., in fact the cost of these three hotels together were still cheaper than the HI.:eek:

I liked the Holiday Inn but find it to be so expensive for one night. This year we have stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn, West Quay Travelodge and we are in the Mercure in August all at a fraction of the cost of the Holiday Inn., in fact the cost of these three hotels together were still cheaper than the HI.:eek:

As I mentioned before....if you stay at the Mercure ask for a room, in advance, at the back . Ours was fine. Specifically tell them that you do not want a room overlooking the main road and you should be fine.

LottieA why would P&o offer to refund hotel bill, did you book through them?

We are booked in there Saturday and I'm beginning to worry. Have phoned hotel and asked for rooms at the back. Usually stay at Novotel but when we stayed there in April and tried to book for June they wanted nearly double the amount for same rooms. Thank goodness it's only for the one night

LottieA why would P&o offer to refund hotel bill, did you book through them?

We are booked in there Saturday and I'm beginning to worry. Have phoned hotel and asked for rooms at the back. Usually stay at Novotel but when we stayed there in April and tried to book for June they wanted nearly double the amount for same rooms. Thank goodness it's only for the one night

It really isn't necessarily bad! I know some people have had problems with noise from the place across the road at the front of the hotel. We were offered a room there in May and refused it and were given a room at the back. It wasn't a huge room but it was clean and quiet. You need to bear in mind that it is a hotel in a very old building - it is not a modern travel lodge. If I were staying there for several nights I would be maybe a bit more fussy but for one night, and 15 nights parking the price was very good and I had no complaints. And the food was excellent, both evening meal and breakfast. But you are also within walking distance of plenty of other places to eat if you prefer.

As I mentioned before....if you stay at the Mercure ask for a room, in advance, at the back . Ours was fine. Specifically tell them that you do not want a room overlooking the main road and you should be fine.[/QUO

I have stayed at the Mercure before and the only problem we had was the room was very hot. This hotel is not my first choice but a very good deal with its parking. So for one night and the price I booked again.