Boarding Time in San Pedro

beachfanatic

A few months ago we were driving to San Pedro from San Diego for a short getaway cruise, and we got trapped on the freeway due to a chemical spill which closed all but one lane! We had to creep along for almost 3 hours before we passed the blockage...

We walked (ran) up to the terminal at 3:30 - there were still a couple of men taking luggage, and there was one check in window still open; most of the other check-in staff were leaving as we were entering! But no one said a word about us being late, so it must not be an uncommon occurrence... We were never so happy to get on a ship!

Last month when we did a similar cruise we left SD earlier than usual and were among the first to board. :o) We took advantage of the extra time to walk over to the USS Iowa and take their tour. It was a much more relaxing way to start a vacation!

Good luck and have fun!

A few months ago we were driving to San Pedro from San Diego for a short getaway cruise, and we got trapped on the freeway due to a chemical spill which closed all but one lane! We had to creep along for almost 3 hours before we passed the blockage...

We walked (ran) up to the terminal at 3:30 - there were still a couple of men taking luggage, and there was one check in window still open; most of the other check-in staff were leaving as we were entering! But no one said a word about us being late, so it must not be an uncommon occurrence... We were never so happy to get on a ship!

Last month when we did a similar cruise we left SD earlier than usual and were among the first to board. :o) We took advantage of the extra time to walk over to the USS Iowa and take their tour. It was a much more relaxing way to start a vacation!

Good luck and have fun!

I'm really surprised that they allowed you to board the ship when you arrived at 3:30... I definitely think you got very very lucky!

We're about 50 miles away from that port, and whenever we're going on a cruise from the Port of LA, we try to be on the road by 10am. Getting there by noon or earlier, means we're closer to getting on board. You can go directly to your cabin and do a little unpacking of your carry ons and then grab some lunch , go on deck and relax until it's muster drill time. One thing we intend never to do is to risk going to any port too late.

I'm really surprised that they allowed you to board the ship when you arrived at 3:30... I definitely think you got very very lucky!
I'm not. While it's definitely not recommended that you plan to arrive later than 90 minutes before sailing, I've taken quite a few BVEs and sometimes, there are quite a few people dragging their luggage aboard as I'm leaving at about 3:15pm. There've been a couple of times when the number of people arriving that late has astonished me. Other times, the terminal has been virtually empty.

Homeland Security requires the passenger manifest 90 minutes prior to departure.

From time-to-time, departure has been delayed waiting for a late flight.

Always rumored to be if a lot of princess air/sea passengers are involved.

Those people ususally scream up to the ship, and the ship leaves 10

minutes later.

I don't know how that works with the 90 minutes...

I'm not. While it's definitely not recommended that you plan to arrive later than 90 minutes before sailing, I've taken quite a few BVEs and sometimes, there are quite a few people dragging their luggage aboard as I'm leaving at about 3:15pm. There've been a couple of times when the number of people arriving that late has astonished me. Other times, the terminal has been virtually empty.

I'm not surprised, either. I have read that other ports are very strict about late boarders, but LA seems to have a more relaxed approach. We have sailed many times from San Pedro and on the weekend cruises in particular we always see people boarding after muster drill, which is generally 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.

The requirement is that one be checked in 90 minutes prior to departure. If one has checked in online two days before and arrives 60 minute prior, is that sufficient? Not something that I'm willing to be the guinea pig on, lol.

Edited by critterchick

Homeland Security requires the passenger manifest 90 minutes prior to departure.

If you completed the Personalizer, then you will be on the manifest even if you have not checked in at the pier yet.

And it is not 90 minutes, it is 60 minutes prior to departure for the manifest to go to Homeland Security..

If you completed the Personalizer, then you will be on the manifest even if you have not checked in at the pier yet.

And it is not 90 minutes, it is 60 minutes prior to departure for the manifest to go to Homeland Security..

CBP already has the manifest.

On our last cruise from San Pedro, our car broke down in Valencia (about 1pm)and we had to get it towed back home where we picked up the other car and drove to the port. We were in constant contact with Princess (the in-route number) and we made it to the port about 3:45. They were breaking it all down, but we checked in and boarded with no problems. Luckily, the ship didn't sail until after 5pm.

If you fly in the day of embarkation, make sure your flight arrives no later than 10:30 a.m.

We have our flights booked through Princess eZair and they have us arriving at LAX at 11:25:eek:

Although 10:30 would be nice as we would be able to have lunch in the main dining room, I don't think it's necessary we arrive at 10:30, at least Princess doesn't think so:confused:

We have our flights booked through Princess eZair and they have us arriving at LAX at 11:25:eek:

Although 10:30 would be nice as we would be able to have lunch in the main dining room, I don't think it's necessary we arrive at 10:30, at least Princess doesn't think so:confused:

Princess' official guidelines for San Pedro are as follows:

Latest international flight arrival: 3 hours prior to the ship's departure.

Latest domestic flight arrival: 2 hours, 30 minutes prior to the ship's departure.

Princess' official guidelines for San Pedro are as follows:

Latest international flight arrival: 3 hours prior to the ship's departure.

Latest domestic flight arrival: 2 hours, 30 minutes prior to the ship's departure.

Thanks! I figured they knew what they were doing:)

My guess is that you'll be onboard at around 2pm. Edited by Pam in CA