~Cheaper Ways of Cruising~

What are some of the ways you have found to cruise cheaper?

Have you thought of getting in on a group cruise?

Cruise Critic has several great group cruises going at all diffrent times of the year! Some Adults Only some for Scuba some for Familys, Valentines Day, Halloween, etc.. Lots of these cruises have cheaper rates than the lines! Ours for instance has inside cabins for $715pp (including port fees and taxes & $100 cabin credit) where as Carnival is advertising it for $799pp without port fees and taxes! With the cabin credit we offer that is a BIG savings!!!

So think about Group cruises when tring to go a bit cheaper!:)

What ways have you found?

O.K., I'll go for it. :)

1.DH and I spend a lot of time searching for cruises we would like to take and then check those cruises periodically online. We have been lucky to book a few cruises that were offered at special senior or residency rates for a 72-hour period only, saving several hundred dollars on each cruise.

2. When flying home from a cruise, if a flight is full and an airline asks for ``volunteers'' to give up their seats for a later flight - we're first in line to take the bump and the flight voucher offered for our ``good Samaritan'' act. We have received vouchers for free future flights as well as several vouchers of $200 off future flights by doing this. Living in Ohio, any savings we can gain on air makes our next cruise that much cheaper.

3.For us the cruise experience is meeting new people and seeing new places. Therefore we book inside cabins. We're out on deck or about on the ship or ports so much during a cruise that a balcony or oceanview cabin isn't worth the extra expense.

Those are three ways that come to mind quickly.

Who's next with ideas?

Dianne

O.K., I'll go for it..also..LOL

1. Group Cruises are the only way my 2 DD's and I could afford to cruise...Being a single dad any savings I can get is BIG!

2. Each port the cruise is headed to I check into the internet and see what is avab. to see and get the best prices for excursions (Never has been a Carnival excursion....LOL) Like $20 in Jaimaica at Sunset Beach Resort, Paradise Beach in Coz, Soto's Cruises $30 in Grand Cayman for Stingray City Trip....etc.

3. Taxi’s: Remember that taxis are not metered on most islands so be sure to ask how much the fare will be to your destination before you enter the cab. The proper credentials for a licensed taxi driver will be prominently displayed for all to see. DON’T hire an unlicensed taxi driver. Most taxi drivers are a delight to talk with, their insights on the island your visiting can be fascinating, they know the good places to see, good places to eat, gamble, and of course where the finest beach's are located. They are also competitive with each other and try to keep their prices low, if their service was helpful and pleasant please remember to tip them a dollar or two.

4. Haggling prices learn to bargain. In the US we see the price tag and pay the price. Not so in the Islands. Ask the price; offer something lower, the merchant will counter with another offer. This process, its business, will not offend them and how they do things. You'll both come to something that is reasonable for both of you and all will be well. This goes on in the straw markets all the way up to the fine jewelry stores, a person who is not shy and bargains well can save lots of money

We booked a last-minute cruise last year for Christmas and New Year's. If you're not particular about ship and itinerary, there are some bargains out there. For instance, Celebrity has some Bermuda cruises for $400 pp in the next few weeks. I just wish we could take advantage of the deals.

Another thing we've done is fly back a day after our cruise. Frequently we save more than enough on airfare to pay for the hotel and meals, plus we get an extra day of vacation and don't have to fight the crowds at the airport.

Not being drinkers, we save a bundle right up front from what we observed on our first cruise a couple of weeks ago.

We didn't book any expensive excursions - we shopped, and even waited until at the pier to seek out the best deals.

Doing this though, we were very cautious about timing - don't want to miss

the ship.

We booked inside cabins - didn't stay in them any longer than it took to get a good nights sleep, get up and shower and get out on deck.

Perhaps if we did the Panama Canal, a balcony would be a must.

Otherwise, inside works just fine.

Don't drink the specialty water in your cabin - you will be charged for it. Buy your own and bring it on board, or just drink the ship water, it is fine.

Stay away from the shops on board - way over priced.

We shopped thoroughly for the best price; on line, through the cruise line, and several TAs. The best deal was found on line, and it worked out beautifully.

Buy the insurance - it could be invaluable, or as usual with any insurance, it may not. But, Why take that chance? A friend of ours had to be airlifted off of his cruise after having a heart attact. Fortunately, he had insurance.

Don't buy every picture even if they are cute. Be selective.

Try to eat most meals in the non-specialty restaurants - no cover charge.

Stick to your budget and have a wonderful time without breaking the bank.

Cruising is probably the last good deal out there for vacations when you take all of land based vacation costs into consideration. Especially with the cost of fuel right now. Hopefully, that will change.

1-My favorite souvenier-magnets-cheap, don't take up a lot of room and easy to pack and remember. Hubby doesn't care how many I buy per trip, because they are never more than $3.00 each. Did 2 weeks at Disney in fla, spent $26.00 on magnets, now have memories of everything we did that trip. Did Disney cruise last year, got magnets from stingray city, tulum, castaway cay, the ship & lost:confused: the one from Key West so must buy another this cruise in 2 weeks.

2-If you scrapbook-save all the promotional Jazz they send you-Disney keeps sending me stuff & I save it all for my scrapbooking...

3-Want an xmas ornament from your trip? Buy a Keychain-they are usually cheaper and function the same way as an ornament-you don't even need an ornament hanger!

3-Bring film, even 2x as much as you think you will need, especially if you cruise in the fall-you can use the extra at Xmas, better to have it & not pay cruise ship prices!

4-Totally agree with the inside cabin(unless you are claustrophobic), but may change my mind after this cruise. Had a balcony last cruise, went on it on embarkation day, key west morning, and each of the 2 days at sea, for about 15min...big whoop. Hope inside cabin on Carnival is good enough this trip.

5-If you don't care where you are on ship-book inside guarantee, sometimes they upgrade you for free, sometimes you get just what you paid for, but its cheaper than booking inside on the base floor, by about $20-50pp, so you might as well save that $ for (magnets?) other things.

6-If you like to shop & don't want to do anything special, don't book excursions in Key West, Grand Cayman or Cozumel...you can shop in all 3 without an excursion & use the $$ you saved to shop!

Hope these suggestions help others!

I have found out that the last full day on every cruise I have been on the shops put all their stuff on sale. I wait till the last day unless there are very few in stock and none in the back.

ALso sometimes the liquor on the ship is cheaper then the Islands. First thing we do is make a pricelist of what we want and what the ship has in stcok--if the Islands are cheaper then we buy in port or vise-vers

Bring your own water in your suitcase--also same with beer, liquor or wine so you bar bill is cheap or zero.

Always carry either creditcards. debitcards, travelcheques(small).

Some Islands don't like big bills cash or travels cheques.

Keep track year around on prices of cruises - sometimes I have found a great deal but it only lasts about a week or even a few days till the sell out.

Use a cruise credit card for points - the NCL is right now the best deal out there. Make sure you can book with anyone and use the oints - Seamiles makes you book with Juniper Bank that has higher prices than the internet so you dont' save.

Get onboard credit for stock holder

Try to use Entertainment book coupon - try and try and try... LOL

Past Passenger deals where they upgrade you to best available. "Carnival"

Coupons in Crown and Anchor Magazine for ROyal Caribbean.

Combine coupons and deals as much as possible.

I always buy lowest outside guarantee - don't particularly like inside but if more than $100 per person more will book inside. If booking far out will book inside if best price and then if price goes down and they do not want to give you the money you can ask to be upgraded to outside.

:) Debbie

While I don't save on the cabins (I prefer Penthouse or mini-suites) I don't spend money on board. We don't buy the drinks, we don't shop in their stores, we didn't even take an excursion on the last cruise (9/25/05 Star Pacfic Coastal).

I try to book my own flights and buy my own insurance. I also make sure my NCL credit card is as close to zero as possible, so that the gratuity and anything I do buy on board doesn't break me. Many times I plunk some extra $$$ into my credit card just to cover odds and ends.

I used my NCL credit card points to pay $1000 of my $1330 cruise fare. I booked a 12-day cruise on the Jewel (Istanbul to Barcelona) and used my NCL card to pay the deposit. I'll now begin to use my NCL card for everything (gas, groceries, shopping) so that I can earn points to apply toward the price of the cruise. The NCL card with points is a GREAT way to save money!

While I don't save on the cabins (I prefer Penthouse or mini-suites) I don't spend money on board. We don't buy the drinks, we don't shop in their stores, we didn't even take an excursion on the last cruise (9/25/05 Star Pacfic Coastal).

I try to book my own flights and buy my own insurance. I also make sure my NCL credit card is as close to zero as possible, so that the gratuity and anything I do buy on board doesn't break me. Many times I plunk some extra $$$ into my credit card just to cover odds and ends.

I used my NCL credit card points to pay $1000 of my $1330 cruise fare. I booked a 12-day cruise on the Jewel (Istanbul to Barcelona) and used my NCL card to pay the deposit. I'll now begin to use my NCL card for everything (gas, groceries, shopping) so that I can earn points to apply toward the price of the cruise. The NCL card with points is a GREAT way to save money!

Where do you get your insurance?

I just checked Carnival's Prices there on the move!

Carnival Cat. 8A = $1049....................Our cat.8A is $965 + port fees and Taxes Included!

Carnival cat. 6A = $899.......................Our cat. 6A is $839 + Port Fees and Taxes Included!

Carnival Cat. 4A is $799.......................Our Cat. 4A is $715 + Port fees and TaxesIncluded !

We also give you a $100 Cabin Credit Carnival does not.. So Come book with us and have a great Vacation!!!

I am doing my first group cruise next week. I have already made wonderful friends with my fellow cruisers. I am so excited about this and I can already suggest it to others. You don't have to make buddies, you can cruise all alone but if you want to make new friends this is a super suggestion!

We like a balcony so I watch the rates and when I find one that is decent, I book it. We used Carnival's Military discount this time and got another $400.00 off the cabin.

We have a vacation account at our bank and each pay day a certain amount goes in that account. Then depending on that amount we plan a budget for the cruise.

I posted this ealier on the Carnival Forum but it may be of interest to others because the points are good toward discounts on other cruise lines. It's a rewards program that is set up by TXU here in Texas and it's free.

Here's a link to the TXU website:

http://www.txu.com/Cultures/en-US/En...gy+Rewards.htm

Is there an easy way to check prices on cruises? I cruised w/ Princess last time and really enjoyed it. I would like to stay with them, but they don't show prices on their website. Should I just keep calling my TA and getting prices?

Is there an easy way to check prices on cruises? I cruised w/ Princess last time and really enjoyed it. I would like to stay with them, but they don't show prices on their website. Should I just keep calling my TA and getting prices?

I get my online quotes at 2 different places...you can search by 'cheaper travel' +cruise or 'best price'+cruise. Of course, the standard online agencies have prices too... but, I think they are higher. MO, anyway.

Ok here is proof on how to save by booking with groups right here on CC!

Carnival's Prices vs. Ours!

Carnival's Prices have gone up again!!!

Interior is now $829pp + Taxes and port Fees!:eek:

Ocean View is now $929pp + Taxes and Port Fees!:eek:

Balcony is Starting at $1129 + Taxes and Port Fees!:eek:

Our Prices are way beating this but I would get it now before Carnival takes our cabins that we have reserved then your out of luck! Carnival will at some point pull our Cabins that we have not booked! Jump Now!!!

These our, our Prices!!!

Priceing:

Inside (Cat 4A): $ 715 pp

Oceanview (Cat 6A): $ 839 pp

Balcony (Cat 8A): $ 965 pp

Mini-Suite (Cat 11): $ 1449 pp

Penthouse Suite (Cat 12): $ 1969 pp

Rates are based on double occupancy and include port charges and gov’t fees.

Single (Cat 1A): $ 1009 pp

3rd and 4th rates are subject to change….currently they are as follows:

Inside (Cat 4A): $ 585 pp

Oceanview (Cat 6A): $ 609 pp

Balconies and Suites (Cat 8A, 11 and 12): $ 635 pp

Amenities:

$ 100 p/cabin on-board credit

Cruise Critic Lanyards (1 per person)

Cruise Critic Magnets (1 per stateroom)

15% discount on all other Cruise Critic merchandise

$ 250 pp deposit for all cabin assignments including single, triple, quads or suites.

To book this cruise contact Kevin at Crucon.com at 1-800-493-6609

Here is a message from Kevin!

Dear Chuck,

Any one can book within this group for as long as there is space available within the group to sell. Any one who books from here on out is required to pay the full $ 250 pp deposit.

Thanks,

Kevin

CruCon Cruise Outlet

800-493-6609

• 1 month later...
Any opinions on whether it's cheaper to book with a TA vs. the cruise line vs. other options? And what are the other options? Went with a TA this time (and last time), but always looking for a cheaper way to do it, particularly for RCCL or Disney cruise lines... TIA

Typicaly the best prices can be found online. And usually a good TA can match any resonable rate. So find the best price online, bring it to your TA and see what they can do. Also in some cases I have noticed bigger TA's can sometimes get better deals (at least that was my impression). I think the biggest TA is AAA.

The next thing to remember is that the final price is not the final price. Meaning that the prices can fluctuate, even and especialy after your final payment is due. Keep checking online, when you see a price drop inform your TA (online TA's are traditionaly not very helpfull and can leave you with no recourse). Some TA's (like mine) will work very diligently to get you the refund (as was the case with my current cruise where she got me a refund for a price drop) so evaluate your TA ahead of time by asking them "If the price drops after the final payment will you call the cruise line and fight for a fare adjustment". In my experience the good ones will.

Book off season online book early and check out airfare to go along with cruise...Here ya go, 7 days cruise inside cabin with airfare from 800 miles away $1,419.00 including taxes and port fees plus $140 tips and $100 onboard credit for two...total cost $1,559.00 with $100 onboard credit for the upcharge restaurants/drinks etc....

Scuba in Coz is $60 vs 149 onboard...Scuba in Belize is $85 vs 149 on board ship, Scuba in GC is $55 vs 149 on board....NEGOTIATE everything.pretend its a game////

For those who asak....ok We are going in January, NOT MANY KIDS!!! they will be in school!!!but its better in the Caribe in January than anywhere in the USA!!!

Archived