Tracy Arm Fjord vs Glacier Bay

kayred

Trying to decide what cruise to take next year. I am planning to go on princess and can't decide if I want the Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord for

7 Days or the Inside Passage with Glacier Bay for 7 Days. Both stop at the same 4 locations so there is no difference there and the price is almost the same. Basically the difference is the Tracy Fjord is before the day in Juneau while the Glacier Bay is done on a sea day...Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Glacier Bay is far superior imo. We saw a great deal more there.

But do factor in the time of the year. There is never a guarantee that you'll get far into either. No can anyone predict the fog cover.

But on the days the weather gods smile, Glacier Bay is magnificent!

Thanks - We will be going the last week of June so I am hoping for a chance of good weather. I am leading towards the bay because that is all that is planned for the day. The Tracy Arm is 5am to 9am and then we are off to Juneau so I am worried that that will be a really long day. That day is also our 25th anniversary so I am not sure I want it to be such a busy day....

Yesterday I unfortunately booked the Tracy Arm cruise before I realized that both the Tracy cruise and Juneau was on the same day. (looked like two days the way it was listed) Now I am trying to decide if the Glacier Bay is worth the hassle of having to try and get our deposit transferred to the other cruise. :confused:

Edited by kayred

Glacier Bay is far superior imo. We saw a great deal more there.

But do factor in the time of the year. There is never a guarantee that you'll get far into either. No can anyone predict the fog cover.

But on the days the weather gods smile, Glacier Bay is magnificent!

I can't ever recall, an incident where cruise ships did not make the full transit of Glacier Bay. And glaciers will always (99.9%) be seen there.

Trying to decide what cruise to take next year. I am planning to go on princess and can't decide if I want the Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord for

7 Days or the Inside Passage with Glacier Bay for 7 Days. Both stop at the same 4 locations so there is no difference there and the price is almost the same. Basically the difference is the Tracy Fjord is before the day in Juneau while the Glacier Bay is done on a sea day...Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Have you done any research on these areas? Know the differences? Taken a look at photos.

I will never claim one is "better", having been to both numerous times. They are different and equally worthwhile to see. However, with Tracy Arm- I am an advocate and find it "necessary" to recommend , people take the cruise contracted add on tour. Grossly superior to the cruise ship transit.

The other issue you have now found- is your port times. Before changing anything, determine how you are going to spend your port time, and what activities/tours you are selecting. Were the other port times the same- or some differences there as well?

it isn't a simple answer, and either cruise could offer you an excellent trip. Take the time, to look at photos and read trip reports.

No question...Glacier Bay is it! I just got back yesterday from AK on Celebrity that did not go to Glacier Bay but did go to Tracy Arms, and I was very disappointed. Sailed Princess 5 years ago and experienced Glacier Bay and will never forget it! Don't understand why more cruise lines go there...

No question...Glacier Bay is it! I just got back yesterday from AK on Celebrity that did not go to Glacier Bay but did go to Tracy Arms, and I was very disappointed. Sailed Princess 5 years ago and experienced Glacier Bay and will never forget it! Don't understand why more cruise lines go there...

It's permit limits in Glacier Bay. Doesn't sound like you purchased the add on ship excursion in Tracy Arm?

If I stay with Tracy Arms I will get the excursion and that does sound like fun. I am sure we will have fun either way I just really appreciate learning the differences from you all. I do wish I hadn't already booked but because it is a year away I don't expect any problems from princess if I choose to change. I think I have changed my mind 10 times today lol :). Ahh. What a wonderful decision to have to make.

If I stay with Tracy Arms I will get the excursion and that does sound like fun. I am sure we will have fun either way I just really appreciate learning the differences from you all. I do wish I hadn't already booked but because it is a year away I don't expect any problems from princess if I choose to change. I think I have changed my mind 10 times today lol :). Ahh. What a wonderful decision to have to make.

I would change, especially for your first trip. I have tried to go to Tracy Arm 4x and missed it 4x (2x in a small boat). Glacier Bay is never missed. Save Tracy Arm for your 2nd trip as Glacier Bay is pretty much a guaranteed visit.

Thoughts...

• As a glacier seeker... my vote goes to Glacier Bay as the primary itinery choice. Tracy Arm at times feels like the inside passage with all the mountains and trees.
  • if Juneau and Tracy Arm is listed together, look at it closely. On my HAL trip.... Tracy Arm was an entrance drive-by. There was a mid-ocean excursion transfer for select cruisers signed up to go deeper into Tracy Arm to meet Sawyer. I encourage cruisers to signed up for this excursion as it can save you 2 hours in Juneau in not retracing 50 miles of water. Use the time for Mendenhall.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=TA1-665

l40k_wZzVuc OMzReVZn__M -0x8dcnk1TM

Advance to 2:28 to see how little Sawyer is compared to the rest of the 30 mile one way journey is....

[YOUTUBE]ymZXlxYdHK8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Thank you everyone for the help. We ended up changing our reservation for the crown princess and the Glacier Bay. It really came down to the times. I think we will enjoy the Glacier Bay more from 6am to 3pm then we would the Tracy Arm from 5am to 9am. Plus with the Glacier Bay cruise we also get a full day at Juneau to enjoy...Thanks again everyone, I did google both for images (thanks for that suggestion) and I am convinced we would of loved to see either one. Now how on earth am I suppose to wait a whole year before we go :)

Access to Glacier Bay is restricted to only two cruise ships per day to lessen the impact on a unique wildlife environment. Cruise lines without permit access to this area started going to Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier as an alternative itinerary; many consider these routes as "runner up" offerings to give the cruise lines something to market as far as visiting a glacier. There is only one Glacier Bay and access to this World Heritage Site and national park is something unique.

My day in GB

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]