MDR Staffing/Service

Just off Celebrity Summit, wonderful cruise but noticed the MDR seemed to be under staffed. (Yes, I politely let them know that we had an issue. It was better from that point on but felt like they were expecting too much out of staff) My DH thinks it is a corporate decision. Have corporate offices cut back dining staff in MDR on Royal ships too? I sure hope not....

Edited by BLAMBKY

I am surprised to hear about any service issues with Celebrity.

While I always leave a RCI sailing satisfied, sometimes I think due to my realistic expectations for a 'mass-market' cruise line, I am wondering how much of the changes in the industry are due to the move toward adding value for the specialty dining venues onboard.

The more an experience is enhanced by 'paying a little extra' for a specialty venue by adding value, the more passengers that will take that option.

I think RCI's new $20 extra per day dining package per passenger is a good indicator and that many more passengers will take them up on that offer in the future and staffing issues in the MDR may become less of a potential issue.

I think RCI's new $20 extra per day dining package per passenger is a good indicator and that many more passengers will take them up on that offer in the future and staffing issues in the MDR may become less of a potential issue.

Could you please expound on this 20/day dining package? I've not heard of it. Is it something new?

Just off Celebrity Summit, wonderful cruise but noticed the MDR seemed to be under staffed. (Yes, I politely let them know that we had an issue. It was better from that point on but felt like they were expecting too much out of staff) My DH thinks it is a corporate decision. Have corporate offices cut back dining staff in MDR on Royal ships too? I sure hope not....

Yes, it's had an impact on Royal as well. Less staff, which means more work for the rest of them in the MDR. They are handling more tables than before and it hurts service. If the staff is new it really shows up. More experienced staff handle it better.

Yes, it's had an impact on Royal as well. Less staff, which means more work for the rest of them in the MDR. They are handling more tables than before and it hurts service. If the staff is new it really shows up. More experienced staff handle it better.

Agreed. I remember not so many years ago, the assistant waiter and waiter would stop by throughout the meal to chat and get to know you. I couldn't even tell you what nationality our last waiter was, we saw him so little.

I have not been asked if I would like a wine or cocktail at dinner in several cruises. They just fill the water glass and when I want a glass of wine, I've had to ask the waiter, who sends somebody else over to take the order.

Well that stinks! I thought that may be the case, since they are under the same corp. umbrella. I am glad I mentioned it in the end of cruise survey. They need to know that people are noticing. Maybe I would pay the extra for a couples cruise but for now we are family of four & I do not intend to pay more for a decent dining experience, that should be included. I hope they make adjustments for the crew's sake.

It had been 3 years since our last cruise.

We noticed staff shortages in cabin attendants (our attendant told us he had 16 cabins BY HIMSELF) shortages in WJ staff, shortages in MDR staff and drink waitstaff out by the pool. They ALL have more work to do now and service is suffering because of it in our opinions. We also noted this on the survey.

I will say this though that our MDR staff was on point and very good despite all the tables they had to wait on.

Edited by ryano

Agreed. I remember not so many years ago, the assistant waiter and waiter would stop by throughout the meal to chat and get to know you. I couldn't even tell you what nationality our last waiter was, we saw him so little.

I have not been asked if I would like a wine or cocktail at dinner in several cruises. They just fill the water glass and when I want a glass of wine, I've had to ask the waiter, who sends somebody else over to take the order.

The water glasses sitting empty during a meal was mainly WHY I went to guest services. I knew they would want to know & have a chance to correct it. They did but from that point on it was easier to notice how pushed the wait staff was to getting their job done. They are given an impossible task for a service oriented (or what used to be) experience.

It had been 3 years since our last cruise.

We noticed staff shortages in cabin attendants (our attendant told us he had 16 cabins BY HIMSELF) shortages in WJ staff, shortages in MDR staff and drink waitstaff out by the pool. They ALL have more work to do now and service is suffering because of it in our opinions. We also noted this on the survey.

Oh my! I am thankful that this is one area that I was still very pleased and yes, they picked up double the tip (above & beyond prepaid) Hopefully enough people will comment & they will realize that losing business to others trying other lines will result.

The water glasses sitting empty during a meal was mainly WHY I went to guest services. I knew they would want to know & have a chance to correct it. They did but from that point on it was easier to notice how pushed the wait staff was to getting their job done. They are given an impossible task for a service oriented (or what used to be) experience.

I find this amazing. You went to guest services over empty water glasses. Yes I'm sure they would want to know.... Did you try telling the head waiter first? Just seems really ridiculously petty.

I find this amazing. You went to guest services over empty water glasses. Yes I'm sure they would want to know.... Did you try telling the head waiter first? Just seems really ridiculously petty.

Petty after two nights? [emoji15] I would have mentioned it to the head waiter but I did not see him! I am telling you the head waiter was jumping in to help serve....this I noticed later in the week! You can think petty if you want but I feel that I did it in their best interest. I was in no way ugly about it. I just wanted it fixed...quite frankly, I was thirsty! [emoji16] I told my teens to head to the buffet if they ever wanted more to eat after dinner (yes teen boys eat A LOT!) but nope, never occurred to me that I would need to go to buffet to get drinks! [emoji23] A table of four water glasses all sitting empty shows an issue.

Edited by BLAMBKY

Could you please expound on this 20/day dining package? I've not heard of it. Is it something new?

I have not experienced it myself yet, even though I have done sailings where I only dined in specialty venues.

The Ultimate Dining package has been offered on a few ships this past month and currently costs $20 per day for the entire sailing.

The Ultimate Dining Package

The package is described as, "Pay one set price and dine in any of our specialty restaurants every day of your cruise. Whatever you're craving, there's something for every palate. (Except Mystery Dinner & Chef's table).

Petty after two nights? [emoji15] I would have mentioned it to the head waiter but I did not see him! I am telling you the head waiter was jumping in to help serve....this I noticed later in the week! You can think petty if you want but I feel that I did it in their best interest. I was in no way ugly about it. I just wanted it fixed...quite frankly, I was thirsty! [emoji16] I told my teens to head to the buffet if they ever wanted more to eat after dinner (yes teen boys eat A LOT!) but nope, never occurred to me that I would need to go to buffet to get drinks! [emoji23] A table of four water glasses all sitting empty shows an issue.

Then 3/4 of all the restaurants I have been to have problems. Water glasses are not the number one thing in a restaurant. Food out appropriately hot/cold in a timely manner is. You also could have asked anyone that passed you for water and for them to leave the pitcher.... And, yes I know boys, I have 4 between 33 and 23.

There is no need for you to explain yourself. :) It doesnt matter around here what kind of problem you had on board. Someone would chime in and call it petty. As long as people continue to think like that and never say a word, service will only get worse and worse. Kudos to you for speaking up!

Petty?

My cousin worked his way through college waiting tables. He was good enough to land a position at one of the finer establishments in Austin. They were warned that any water glass that was less than half full must be promptly topped off. One person was told three times...a few nights later he was told "You cannot seem to grasp our expectations on how our customers are to be treated. Your service are no longer needed."

Our water glass at IHOP is really even close to empty. Why should I expect less from a company that touts a WOW experience?

There is no need for you to explain yourself. :) It doesnt matter around here what kind of problem you had on board. Someone would chime in and call it petty. As long as people continue to think like that and never say a word, service will only get worse and worse. Kudos to you for speaking up!

The point of pettiness is that they went to guest services to complain. There are multiple levels of supervision right there is the dining room. I'm no cheerleader for anything but common sense: that says talk to the supervisor, the assistant maitre'd or even the person that gets you your table. Not guest services, because I would bet they act like they care, but don't. Oh wait, I forgot, dissenting opinion.... I'm out.

I agree. It was normal to have time to talk with the staff and learn a bit about each other. Now, they are pleasant and try to be cordial but you can tell they are under pressure to do the minimum and move on.

Our most awesome experience was on Sovereign. My wife and I had a fabulous waiter on that cruise named Hassan. Two years later we sailed Sovereign again and was walking by an area as they were setting up for the midnight buffet. Out of the blue I hear someone calling our names. We look over and it's Hassan. After over two years and who knows how many names and faces he has seen since that first time, he remembered us as if old friends. We do not stand out and are just an average couple that's easy to forget. To this day it still blows me away.

Edited by cruisingsince94

Just to clarify...First, I had a great cruise. Second, I have been on here long enough to know that I am just a screen name on this board. Let it go, if someone says something that may think about me. Now back to the reason for the post, I just wanted to see what opinions are out there on Royal now. Our last Royal cruise was April '14 and wanted to see if this was across the corporate board kind of issue. If it was across the board, I plan to start checking into teen friendly ships (Getaway; Breakaway) on Norwegian.

Just to clarify...First, I had a great cruise. Second, I have been on here long enough to know that I am just a screen name on this board. Let it go, if someone says something that may think about me. Now back to the reason for the post, I just wanted to see what opinions are out there on Royal now. Our last Royal cruise was April '14 and wanted to see if this was across the corporate board kind of issue. If it was across the board, I plan to start checking into teen friendly ships (Getaway; Breakaway) on Norwegian.

Although service cuts has had an impact it's not to the point (in my opinion) to run to other brands. It's going on all over the industry. We are not demanding people but we do expect the basics such as water glasses being filled.

Here is a suggestion that works for us. Maybe it will for you also. The key is day one. We tell our room attendant we want ice daily. We tell our MDR waiters up front that we drink a lot of water. I usually drink a soda with dinner so I tell the bar server to have it and a glass of ice on the table. My wife likes a glass of wine certain nights so we buy a bottle the first night and they ask her up front if she wants a glass with dinner. We have been doing this on every cruise now and it has made a difference.

Was it regular seating or MTD? The reason why I ask is we were traditionalists up until our last few cruises and now we're MTD converts. The service so far has been so much better on both lines. I must add that we always asked for the same wait staff.

Edited by Big_G

Although service cuts has had an impact it's not to the point (in my opinion) to run to other brands. It's going on all over the industry. We are not demanding people but we do expect the basics such as water glasses being filled.

Here is a suggestion that works for us. Maybe it will for you also. The key is day one. We tell our room attendant we want ice daily. We tell our MDR waiters up front that we drink a lot of water. I usually drink a soda with dinner so I tell the bar server to have it and a glass of ice on the table. My wife likes a glass of wine certain nights so we buy a bottle the first night and they ask her up front if she wants a glass with dinner. We have been doing this on every cruise now and it has made a difference.

Good suggestions, I will definitely give that a try.

Was it regular seating or MTD? The reason why I ask is we were traditionalists up until our last few cruises and now we're MTD converts. The service so far has been so much better on both lines. I must add that we always asked for the same wait staff.

It was Celebrity, so it is called select instead of MTD. We used MTD on our last couple cruise and asked for the same waitstaff. This cruise after the first night, we did not ask for the same servers. Honestly, I was hoping that alone would remedy things. The way you do it (and we did on Royal) is my preference. Eat a little later/earlier than main times with same wait staff.

Edited by BLAMBKY

It was Celebrity, so it is called select instead of MTD. We used MTD on our last couple cruise and asked for the same waitstaff. This cruise after the first night, we did not ask for the same servers. Honestly, I was hoping that alone would remedy things. The way you do it (and we did on Royal) is my preference. Eat a little later/earlier than main times with same wait staff.

Sorry to hear that, we've done both Select and MTD and had better luck.