Must try foods at non specialty restaurants.

cruiseelady

Ditto on the Indian food in the buffet.

DH and I love Indian food. Sadly, we've found the Indian food on NCL not always up to par. On our last cruise it was extremely salty every time, like they'd put in 3 times as much salt as necessary. :(

I LOVE the muesli (cold, oatmeal cereal that has fruit in it) with nuts and brown sugar on it. Served on breakfast buffet. If you like cheese, they have an awesome cheese spread at lunch/ dinner on buffet, pretzel bread, crepes.

I also like the cold soups and soufflés at desert. They also had this yummy chocolate mousse that is served in a chocolate shel.

Yes, I LOVE the muesli!! Love it so much I try to recreate it at home, but without too much success.

Also love the cold soups and the chocolate mousse!

Our favorite dessert was some kind of chocolate/Nutella mousse. I don't remember the exact name, but it was served during chocolate night and it was awesome.

My favorite thing in the buffet is the pasta bar where you choose your mix-ins and sauce.

Edited by brookie848

They had pasta and clams one night in the MDR and it was delicious, if small. I would have liked more than 4 clams.

If you see an entree you'd like listed under Chef's Specials, order it. It will not be on the menu the following night.

Our favorite dessert was some kind of chocolate/Nutella mousse. I don't remember the exact name, but it was served during chocolate night and it was awesome.

I believe it is called Nutella pot de creme.

Anyone ever been on Carnival? Is the warm chocolate volcano similar to Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake? I had that every night on the Carnival Splendor two years ago, and would get the chocolate volcano every night on the Breakaway next month if it is as good!

One hint for the buffet ... if you don't see what you want in the first section, try walking further down to where the foods start duplicating. There are often some variations there. For example, if you don't want sausage links, the other end might have patties. There might be pancakes on one side and french toast on the other. Hash browns on one side and latke-type potatos on the other.

So it's worth checking out the whole thing, especially if you aren't as happy with your options as you had hoped to be -- the thing you want may still be down the line!

As I recall, the crepes are usually at the very end of the second grouping of offerings. (or at the very beginning, I suppose, if you enter from the other side!)

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

Anyone ever been on Carnival? Is the warm chocolate volcano similar to Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake? I had that every night on the Carnival Splendor two years ago, and would get the chocolate volcano every night on the Breakaway next month if it is as good!

My son preferred Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake. He ate NCL's volcano every night though so it couldn't have been too bad. The only thing he didn't like is NCL puts a strawberry sauce with theirs so after the first night he ordered it without and he was good.

I'm curious to hear what anyone else thought of the hash browns. I didn't recognize them and thought they were some form of little pancake. I also found the corned beef hash unrecognizable. Good, though.

My son preferred Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake. He ate NCL's volcano every night though so it couldn't have been too bad. The only thing he didn't like is NCL puts a strawberry sauce with theirs so after the first night he ordered it without and he was good.

Is the strawberry sauce on top of the chocolate volcano or is it on the side? I think I'd like to see if they'll give it to me on the side first to see if I like them together.

Is the strawberry sauce on top of the chocolate volcano or is it on the side? I think I'd like to see if they'll give it to me on the side first to see if I like them together.

ImageUploadedByForums1435093529.306131.jpg.e948bfa586cf8d8cce674257e670c7e4.jpg

I hope this picture uploaded properly. This is how they served it on the Gem last summer. It was great! The cake is good, but not the best ever, but the combination with the strawberries and straciatella ice cream is awesome! [emoji1]

[ATTACH]353372[/ATTACH]

I hope this picture uploaded properly. This is how they served it on the Gem last summer. It was great! The cake is good, but not the best ever, but the combination with the strawberries and straciatella ice cream is awesome! [emoji1]

That looks awesome! I'll ask for the strawberries on the side the first night and see how I like the combination. I love stracciatella gelato, one of my favorite flavors! :)

Buffet at lunch: the special salads just as you walk in (before you turn the corner to the salad bar). Different every day and with original touches even for the classic salads. I discovered how good these were on the Pearl--I can't remember whether they were this good on my earlier cruises.

Since there are a lot of posts concerning the buffet on this thread, I'm going to ask.

What is the world is a washy, washy girl?

An employee who stands at the entrance and sprays your hands with something anti-bacterial.

I love the sweet fried Plantains at the Flamingo Grill on the Getaway. Wish they would add them to the other ships. Going on our 3rd Getaway cruise in August....and yes, the Flamingo Grill is part of that decision :o

Yes..Those plantains had me going back to the Flamingo several times. Yum

Two Words: Pretzel Rolls.

They are addictive and fabulous. I eat them every day at the buffet during lunch. Don't miss out! Someone already mentioned the lamb in the MDH, and I will second that. Tender and delicious. The DH and I do a couple paid restaurants each cruise, but honestly we find that the MDR is great for dinners and the buffet is fine for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes if it's crazy during the day though, we'll opt for lunch in the MDR, and it's always been pleasant. It just takes a little longer. Have an amazing cruise, and remember that food is incredible subjective. These threads have turned nasty lately, but I will tell you that I have only had one bad meal in three cruises, and the waitress went back and fixed it. You're going to love it.

Edited by AKR2011