Controlling Kids' Spending Aboard?

Bob, with the posts above about the arcade being EXEMPT - if I set it up that my kids do not have charging privileges at all - can they still go incur charges at the arcade?

According to Ken's info, it looks like they can still charge in the Arcade, no matter how you set up their account.

Children's cards are not automatically connected to the parent's cards unless you set it up that way. You can put cash on children's cards, but you also need to tell Guest Services what the limits are because they may let the cards charge more than the cash balance unless you tell them otherwise.

Thanks. Just seems wrong that Royal would take this approach. To me "no charging privileges" means no charging privileges.

I trust my kids and know they would never try to buy anything. They are too young now but I don't see this being a problem in the future either. I'm more concerned about them losing a card.

If I were a parent of a child that could not be trusted, I would set it up as a cash account so there are clear limits on the card.

I'm sailing X next - curious to see how they handle this.

According to Ken's info, it looks like they can still charge in the Arcade, no matter how you set up their account.

We had our GS set up with no charging privileges, and he still racked up $50 in the Arcade on the first evening on FOS. Just put his card in the machine and loaded it without thinking. Since we are C&A members, he had an arcade credit preloaded on his card (I think it was $20 or $25) which he had to activate at the machine in the entrance to the arcade. Once that was gone he just re-inserted his card in the same machine and reloaded it. Long talk on day 2, and set a reasonable limit for the arcade. After that he rarely went there other than when the teen group had its free sessions. He was too busy surfing, ice skating, and playing pick up basketball all week.

Edited by orville99

Thanks. Just seems wrong that Royal would take this approach. To me "no charging privileges" means no charging privileges.....

I agree, but I suspect this is one of those problems that Royal is not in a hurry to fix.

I agree, but I suspect this is one of those problems that Royal is not in a hurry to fix.

It was explained to me that it was a technical issue with the machine that loads the money onto the Seapass card. It does not recognize that charging privates have been denied. I would agree that Royal is not in a hurry to spend money taking away something that is making them extra money.

It was explained to me that it was a technical issue with the machine that loads the money onto the Seapass card. It does not recognize that charging privates have been denied. I would agree that Royal is not in a hurry to spend money taking away something that is making them extra money.

I agree. Can you imagine how fast they would fix their "technical issue" if it stopped charging to the SeaPass cards at all?

A simple 10-cent solution would be to have a separate arcade card that could only be loaded with cash. Parents would either have to go to GS to get the cards, or get the cards when they signed their kids into the clubs on the first day. No card/no cash - no play. ;)

How do you control the spending at home?

School the kids

Lol, really? I don't give my kids their own visa card with no preset spending limit while at home...do you?

I wonder if there are a few of us who can maybe not remember what is was like when we were teens. Temptation is a powerful thing when you're at that age, so it is a valid concern for many. My daughter for example is very trustworthy with money...normally. Put a claw machine in front of her and all bets are off. My 12 yo son can be trusted normally, too. But again, they've never had this kind of an opportunity for this much restraint in the past.

Where do we go to place spending limits on their cards, anyway?

Lol, really? I don't give my kids their own visa card with no preset spending limit while at home...do you?

I wonder if there are a few of us who can maybe not remember what is was like when we were teens. Temptation is a powerful thing when you're at that age, so it is a valid concern for many. My daughter for example is very trustworthy with money...normally. Put a claw machine in front of her and all bets are off. My 12 yo son can be trusted normally, too. But again, they've never had this kind of an opportunity for this much restraint in the past.

Where do we go to place spending limits on their cards, anyway?

Actually my 13 YO does have a Visa card in her name (a user on our card) for use in an emergency. She does know what an emergency is.

You would go to guest services to put a cap on their spending.

Thanks for this update. I agree with Bob, that this is not something they want to fix.

I wonder what happens if someone tries to dispute the charge? I'm not sure it would get me anywhere, but I'd be willing to argue it out with them.

I wonder how it works for people who put cash on their cards. Will the arcade sill load up the card if there is no cash to cover the charge?

note to self: keep kids out of the arcade.

lol at the PP and the claw machine!

Thanks for this update. I agree with Bob, that this is not something they want to fix.

I wonder what happens if someone tries to dispute the charge? I'm not sure it would get me anywhere, but I'd be willing to argue it out with them.

I wonder how it works for people who put cash on their cards. Will the arcade sill load up the card if there is no cash to cover the charge?

note to self: keep kids out of the arcade.

lol at the PP and the claw machine!

I do remember about someone trying to dispute....it didn't go well. Cash accounts let you charge up to $500 before requiring a payment.

A simple 10-cent solution would be to have a separate arcade card that could only be loaded with cash. Parents would either have to go to GS to get the cards, or get the cards when they signed their kids into the clubs on the first day. No card/no cash - no play. ;)

Simple....Royal...there's two words that don't normally go together.

I have heard some horror stories about rather large expenses charged by kids on cruises. We have been lucky. We just tell our kids that they can charge one smoothie per day and $10 in the arcade per day. Beyond that, they have to come and ask permission. Have never had an issue with them charging beyond what I have allowed and we have never discussed what happens if they do go over the allowed amount as that is not an option. We have an understanding with our kids, which we remind them of constantly. We will keep providing nice vacations, clothes... as long as they follow our rules and act respectfully. When they no longer want to follow those rules, life will change dramatically for them. We have been very lucky with our kids. Establish expectations and I think most kids will try hard to live up to them. Good luck.

This is exactly what we have done with our children, even when they were younger. We never had a problem.