shipboard attire

MrsMoose2001

I hope this helps some who are worrying about what to wear on upcoming cruises, it's from a personal observation from my recent cruise.

In no way am I judging the price of an outfit or which store it came from, as I think you can be nicely dressed from all price ranges and stores.

I was on Radisson which is considered a high end ship. There was no formal all country club casual

What I saw as the real run of the specturm. Again not price, here, but I saw, everything go at dinner with the exception of jeans. Jeans and shorts were not permitted at dinner in the restaurants nor were sneakers.

I saw everything from a cadigan sweater and blouse and knit pants, to a business pantsuit, long skirts, short skirts, denim skirs, capris, sandles, thongs, evning bags, day bags, large bags, denim long skirts, denim blazers, denim shirt with white t-shirt underneath and pants. Plaid bluse and denim dirndl skirt with a "sneaker style shoe".

the only reason I noticed all of this was so I could report back here. Otherwise I really didn't care what anyone else had on.

What I saw was a lot of jewelry, seems like the bling bling was important to a lot, but fashion, it really was all over the place.

I asked the hubby afterwards, did you think the people on the cruise were "well dressed" his answer was, they were dressed appropriately, but I would not say "well dressed". If I had to make a judgement, that's what I would say as well.

Everyone followed the rules, no jeans and sneakers for dinner. After that, it was a free for all with 700 people. The people on the captain's table the night I was invited to sit on that table was, casual, skirt and blouse for one lady (daytime plain blouse and skirt), another wore a tunic style blouse neither dressy or casual and plain black pants. I wore probably the "dressiest thing" which was a cashmere twinset trimmed with crystals that people wear with jeans or dressy and black pants (not evening pants, just nice black pants that you would wear to an office style). This was for the captain's table.

So I would say don't worry, if you conform to the rules and you feel dressed and comfotable and are happy with the way you look, you will be fine (at least for the cruise I was on). You have to use good judgement, and think about your comfort level, if you like getting all decked out, go for it, if you are happy in nice dressy capris, go for it, if it's allowed on the ship's rules, I think you will see everything and be fine, but again, that was on my cruise and is only my opinion.

What I also found was that people said, no one dresses on the last night, on my cruise, it went both ways, some were dressed and some weren't, same as any other night.

Healthy happy safe travels to all

Thanks for the post, MrsMoose, it may help some first-timers. On our first cruise, I was a bit shocked to see that people weren't dressed up as much as I thought they would be. Even after 7 cruises, I'm still a bit surprised at how casual people are during the day. When I read here about people going out to buy whole new wardrobes (unless they have a huge change in weight) I want to tell them to stop! Save your money for a nice excursion instead!

Don't ever buy "cruise clothes", rather, if you want something new, make sure it is something you would wear at home, even if you have to wait for next summer to wear it again.

Happy KS, that's exactly my thoughts after this cruise, I was very surprised.

As to the question was it fantastic, all depends on how you look at it,

service was impecable, cleanliness and sanitary conditions, perfect, room was nice, large, full size bathroom, walk in closet, enough drawers, mini suite style I guess, balcony (all rooms on the Mariner) have a balcony that is a good size.

As for the food, it was fine, but I've had just as good and better on land. Then again, I never expected all that much from the food. It was well presented, and there was a lot of choice. At lunch a buffet, and I hate buffets as I think the main dining room was going to be to long, at dinner, at the cordon blue restaurant, hubby said he liked my lamb chops better and he is french and I'm not a great cook by any means. I didn't eat a lot so I can't say everything was great.

I think food is hard to judge as everyone has their own tastes. The salt roll was excellent. The most I can say was the food was fine, but can't compare to any other cruise, and I didn't go for the food, I went for Alaska.

I personally liked my "off ship" meals better but that's me. I can't eat to much rich food so it's a personal taste issue.

Didn't do much shipboard stuff, I find the spa overpriced but nice and the massage/facial was good, manicure I've had much better, and hairdresser, well I didn't care for her but that was for personal reasons.

Didn't go to any shows except last night Krew Kapers which was very good and some pre-dinner music with cocktails which was fine, and the caviar was a great thing for me as I love the stuff and they sold it at bargain prices.

I booked 99% of my shore excursions independently so can't say how they were. The staff, was fantastic, could not have asked for better service, and they do a good job on the laundry too!

HOpe you get to go sometime soon!

Hi, Thanks for the response. I read your other posts, sounds okay, but not necessarily worth the extra $$. I am like you as far as despising buffets, and food is not the main focus, but I do love that room service breakfast. Mainly cruises are a romantic time with my husband. He loves them, and loves that my complete attention is on him and our time together. We are coming up on our fist one in two years so I am getting really excited. The people on Radisson sounded rude, you always meet some of those on a cruise, but the chair and stair incident you talked about were nasty. I am really hoping for nice tablemates, we have had mainly lovely people, one group of two couples we almost booked with the following year. That was on Celebrity. However, one time, we had this very grouchy older couple from a Florida retirement community at our table and ALL they ever did was complain and be negative. It was a table for 8: one pair sweet honeymooners (Poor kids!), another nice couple that never came back the entire week, and the crabby people who eventually switched to early seating about midway through. We always get at least a balcony, usually a suite, so we have always found the accomodations and storage more than adequate. It sounds like there are many nice cruises to Bermuda from you area. Bermuda is so nice, you maybe should give cruising a try again sometime. Nancy

..snip..I asked the hubby afterwards, did you think the people on the cruise were "well dressed" his answer was, they were dressed appropriately, but I would not say "well dressed". If I had to make a judgement, that's what I would say as well. ..snip

Disappointing to hear that "dressed appropriately" does not equal "well dressed". Guess I'll cross Radisson off my "possibles" list.

Cheers

MarkB

To be truthful, the daytime clothes haven't changed much since we started cruising in 1973. They were wearing shorts and casual tops then, too.

The evening dress has definitely gone to casual, however. I agree that the definition of "country club" or "smart" casual or even plain 'ole "casual" has changed significantly.

There is another poster on this board, LoisR, who is like me: we dress up a little or a lot, because it makes us feel good and we like the opportunity to do so.

I have a whole wardrobe of nice pantsuits or dressy tops, and wear them for dinner every night, regardless of the suggested dress. I prefer the way I look in pants, so other than formal night, I always wear pants. My casual attire will be very similar to my smart casual.

CDR Mark, why would you cross off Radisson because of what I wrote, it had nothing to do with the cruise line, it was an observation from my point of view.

I personally do view being dressed appropriatey different from well dressed. As an example, if the cruise line says no jeans/sneakers for dinner, country club casual, and someone is wearing an outfit from 20 years ago that is really passe, I don't care how expensive it was it may be "appropriate" as far as the rules, but that doesn't mean they are well dressed. Also depending on the outfit and the person wearing it and how it fits, looks etc.

It's a little different for a man, but for a woman it's a package thing, shoes, handbag, etc. A cocktail outfit with a large tote bag may be appropriately dressed but I would not call it well dressed or well put together.

As I said, being well dressed in my opinion also has nothing to do with the price of an outfit, or where it came from.

Wearing a denim shirt with a white plain teeshirt and khaki pants, fit within the guide lines, doesn't mean the person was "well dressed", but they were appropraitely dressed according to the "rules" as I call it, rules being what is allowed and what is not allowed.

To Pcur, absoultely I agree, I made a point of asking what country club casual meant to the cruise line. I remember reading an article in a fashion magazine that said, always ask these days what CCC means as it has different meanings to different people. Jeans being such a fashion item these days can mean to Queen Latifah, jeans and a sequined top and a pair of strappy high heals, and to a conservative place, it would be a no no, the same for smart casual it has many different meanings these days in my opinion.

I think many women here feel the same about "dressy" attire, it has many different meanings, and also depending on where you live as to what is perceived as "dressy" and CCC.

And yes, as I said, I know LoisR said she likes to dress up and I think that's great, it's up to a person's comfort level and should be taken into account when considering what to pack as long as it fits the "rules", the rest should be about what makes you happy and not what everyone else wears as it really does go all over the place from what I saw.

Hi MrsMoose:) where did you mention me?

I am very casual during the day on all my cruises. Shorts, FLIP FLOPS;)

bathing suits and coverups, walking sandals for excursions too.

Evenings I do like to dress up. The opportunity here at home to get all

dressed up is nill, zilch, zero, zip:eek:. So, for me, it feels great a couple

times per year while on a cruise:D

Hi LoisR see messages in this thread

Someone said, you like to dress up at night and I agreed that you had said that to me in another message and I thought it was great if ladies like to dress up, but that on my cruise which was CCC it was all over the place, etc etc,

I hope it came out right, I was trying to say something nice and make a point of not worrying to much of what to wear as long as it fit within the rules of the ship, because while everyone on my ship fit with the rules, not everyone was really well dressed, and that everyone should dress to what they feel they look good in and are comfortable and not worry if everyone will think it "nice" since I just came back, and it really was all over the place within the ship guidelines of CCC

Gee I hope this is coming out right :) I meant no offense to anyone, just trying to help people not worry so much about what to wear and to enjoy themselves.

Mrs Moose I am enjoying your and others posts as I recover from my surgury. Dressing well does not mean expensive clothing, in my opinion. I think you would agree that it is a long lost art. Hope I don't get flamed. Two people can wear to same outfit and the look can be totally different. Tailoring, pressing and assessories make the difference. It is hard to buy off the rack and get a perfect fit IMHP.:) I am looking forward to reviewing my fall clothes and bringing together new looking outfits. I am enjoying reading others opinions. Cheers!;)

That's exactly what I said, it's not about price, EXACTLY my opinion!

And yes, the same outfit will look different on 2 people, just because of body types let alone the pressing, and accessories, even a basic pair of pants and top can look different with heals vs flats and makeup.

I never look "dressed" as I just don't wear makeup at all, (cream yes but no makeup) so even if I'm in full blown evening attire, I look like the castle without the curtains, lol and never look "complete", because I just refuse to put on makeup.

You hit the nail on the head and I agree 100% with you.

I hope you are feeling better, I enjoy our chats.

I'm the one who mentioned you, Lois. You and I seem to be of the same mind about our evening clothes: we dress up a little, because we like to.

There was no offense meant at all, and, I'm glad to read, none taken.

Others can dress to suit themselves, but I just like the opportunity to wear some of my nicer clothes. :D

Archived