How has Celebrity changed since 2012?

GroomsportGirl

I've switched to Regent for the same reason.

I've by an large switched to Seabourn for that reason too ( higher prices for suites ). With alcohol and gratuities the price is similar unless you book a Tuesday special .

The Celebrity menus haven't changed much since 2012 and the prices are much higher.

That pretty much sums it up.

There is Luminae , the new Suite only restaurant. That's the biggest change that I can think of.

I think the biggest change I've seen is that passengers don't dress like they use to. It is much more casual, even on formal nights then it was when I first started cruising with Celebrity. Formal nights now, at least on the cruises I've been on, are more maxi dresses, everyday dresses and very few real formal attire. A few tuxes on men, mostly suits or even just slacks and shirt, with no tie or jacket.

There have been lots of changes - some good and some not so good. We only travel in CS and above suites so my experience may be different that others. While one can complain look at how society has changed and airline travel.

Here are a couple observations I have made

1. Pillow Chocolates originally were a beautiful Cova to on my November cruise last year they had chocolate covered oreo cookies.

2. The full bowl of fruit in suites was replaced with a tray with 3 pieces of fruit.

3. The Water pitchers have disappeared from suites unless specifically asked for.

4. Luminae has been added.

5. Michael's Club has been changed to an all suites escape. Love it.

6. Bar staff has been cut back and seems short staffed very often.

7. Show are the same meaning very little reason for us to go back and experience.

8. Cost of specialty restraint has dramatically increased.

9. Staff seem to be dropping the over use of "Excellent"

10. Tipping envelopes have disappeared as well as the need to bring large sums of cash for tipping.

11. Formality of dress has dropped significantly.

Just some of my thoughts

I suppose it's like watching children grow, if you're with them regularly you don't see the differences but see them once in 3 year you will see how much they have grown. We take 3 or 4 celebrity cruises a year so the changes have been subtle for us.

They took michaels away for the suites but we never used it anyway

They added luminae for suites, which we thought was excellent

We've found the drinks prices have gone up but so have the drinks in bars at home

The pillow chocolate disappeared and then came back as a cheaper version

The photos now have facial recognition but their service hasn't changed

There's more watch shops

I don't think we got a drinks package in 2012 so our onboard bills are now lower

We've found their excursion prices are getting much more expensive

We still find them excellent

Thanks....good point! I will post what we observe after the cruise.

What about the entertainment - any notable changes? I read from quite a few posts that activity staff have been reduced. I remember on a sea days turning up to some quizzes and there only being a few others....they didn't seem very popular! What about the shows and lounge acts?

Live music at the pool has been replaced by a DJ.

Sin City Comedy Show has disappeared.

Pillow chocolates are not as tasty.

But the price of Royal Caribbean stock has risen from $25 in 2012 to $80 now!

Yeah to rccl shares, we've had a better increase with these than any bank account could have returned in interest. However that U.S. Also a change from 2012. We always got shareholder obc but since 2012 every cruise has had some perk at booking making not combinable

Unless, of course, they packed up their luggage, left it out to be picked up, & then realized they had no clothes other than what they were wearing, it happens. :)

I have heard of this happening, but I thought you put your luggage out on the last night and formal nights are not on the last night of the cruise. So not a good excuse for formal night shorts!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks....good point! I will post what we observe after the cruise.

What about the entertainment - any notable changes? I read from quite a few posts that activity staff have been reduced. I remember on a sea days turning up to some quizzes and there only being a few others....they didn't seem very popular! What about the shows and lounge acts?

Interesting discussion going on here.

Aside from the truth that is posted in many of the other replies to the thread, one thing that struck me was the dramatic reduction of foods offered on the televised room service menu. All of the things that I had enjoyed or found special on my previous cruise in 2012 are now gone and have not been replaced. :(

Other than that and definitely noticing that the number of activities staff had been decreased, I didn't really notice any major changes that stood out in my mind. I had a great time, just like I did in 2012... Just spent a little bit more time bringing my own food back to the room when I wanted a snack!

I not fed that too about room service.

In fact I asked for a tomato sandwich.. I received two pats of butter, two slice of bread and a plate of sliced tomato. DIY indeed..

Positive change...Canyon Ranch Spa.,much better than Steiner overall, for awhile they had nice bath products and soft plush towels in AQ class staterooms..they seem to be gone????

Negative.....loud DJs with drum, permeating atrium and outdoor pool area etc, less live music...not the best anyhow. No authentic island bands..in Carib...maybe you get a steel drum player

loud games & activities at outdoor pool, loud canned music at pool, certain eating areas and bars...

too much emphasis on drinks packages and drinking & hard sells to upgrade

fewer free events

loss if Michaels club for Cap Club

too many not wanting to dress up for anything

less feeling of Modern Luxury....