Getting on and off floatplane

GrammieMame

Hi all you floatplane fans. We are booked with Island Wings to do the Anan bear viewing trip. I just noticed, looking at their website, that the planes don't look so easy to get on and off. Looks like walking on the pontoon, going up a flimsy looking ladder, and then diving headfirst thru the door into the plane. I have some balance issues. I feel like I can get up that ladder, but getting into the plane looks pretty iffy. Does anyone have an experience with this? Do they have "helpers" that can assist in getting people on board?

I'm sure you would be absolutely fine but you need to call and discuss this with them directly.

Sadly, I don't have personal experience as I had similar concerns and I contacted this company and was told I had to be able to do it unaided and if I was unsure I shouldn't book. They weren't even really willing to discuss it with me and told me to look elsewhere.

I really hope you will get a better response from them and be able to take what looks like an incredible trip :)

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

Island Wings uses a de Havilland Beaver which normally is one easy step onto the pontoon and then 3 steps into the cabin...most people have no trouble with that. If that is going to be a problem for you then contact them, they may well have a ramp that you can use.

Some people do have problems with getting in/out of floatplanes, so I am not going to chime in you will be "fine", lineup. it isn't a given.

You must be able to bend and really can't expect more than a hand, which can be significant with balance issues, but it can't be severe.

I too suggest, the ability be fully disclosed when you book. There is not a lot of room in the planes, with entry being in the bent over position, and the ability to maneuver.

As putter- mentions, some vendors have ramps- BUT- they are merely planks, that avoid the ladder. They are narrow, and balance is necessary. A hand can be given. And yes, I have direct knowledge of this. :)

Be honest with limitations- and when you're there- listen and follow directions. This will help things go smoothly. :)

We went to Anan with Michelle last summer. If you decide to go, I would say it might be worth having good waterproof boots as when we landed at Anan, you sorta go one by one, each person getting out of the plane, shutting the door, then walking a few steps on the float part to step off onto the beach area. Since I am prone to tripping, I was thinking that a small mis-step would have put me in some shallow water. Also besides the float plane trip itself, the short trail can be potentially slick/uneven at spots. I did see one person in another party fall because rushing around a corner, off the narrow wooden trailway.

We just flew with Island Wings earlier this month and I agree that you should wear shoes that are not slippery when wet. Island Wings is great about letting you out of the plane and onto land to enjoy the area where you stop, but Michelle is very particular about her plane and makes you clean the bottom of your shoes off in a pan of water before stepping onto the pontoon. My husband slipped getting onto the pontoon and fell into the water getting his shoes and pants pretty wet. Michelle does assist each person, but as another said, it is just a helping hand, not a support.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I did call Island Wings and was very reassured. They said they take people with various levels of disability and assured me that there would be help if I needed it.

Wishing u a great time at Anan. It was a fantastic experience.

We went with Michelle twice. In 2007 we she took us to Traitor's Cove for bear watching and last year we went to Misty Fjords. My wife is 70 and very clumsy. Although she was nervous about it, she did fine. Her biggest concern was walking on the float itself, where Michelle could hold her hand if she needed additional support. Both trips with Michelle were amazing. Have a great time with her.

Hi:) I went with Michelle last month (I also used them back in 2009).

I am not in good shape:eek:.....Michelle was always willing to help any

of us on the tour if needed. (I did need a bit of help in one circumstance).

And I would use them again too:D....I wore "Keds" and had no problems:)

Hope you have a wonderful time:D

PS HI MIKE;)

Hi:) I went with Michelle last month (I also used them back in 2009).

I am not in good shape:eek:.....Michelle was always willing to help any

of us on the tour if needed. (I did need a bit of help in one circumstance).

And I would use them again too:D....I wore "Keds" and had no problems:)

Hope you have a wonderful time:D

PS HI MIKE;)

Hi Lois,

I hope you are doing well. Enjoy life!