Money Beach question

MG75

We are cruising to Cozumel on the Elation. I have done lots of research on different beaches and tours. I've pretty much settled on Money Beach. I don't care about a actual beach as much as I do being able to snorkel and actually see fish from the bank. My question is would it be worth it to do the snorkel day package with money beach? It includes lunch and a English speaking guided snorkel tour. I'm leaning toward just renting snorkel equipment and go on our own. Does anyone know if they go out on a boat with the guided package?

I'd appreciate any information anyone has on this.

Thanks!!

Never heard of Money Beach - but I am interested! ;) Maybe The Money Bar? :confused:

It sort of depends upon how comfortable you are snorkeling. If you are an experienced snorkeler I would not bother with the guide; if you are a novice it might be a good deal.

I do not think they take you out on a boat - the big thing is that you can snorkel from the shore without a boat. Some of the tour snorkel boats just bring their customers to the area -- a white or brightly colored t-shirt or rash guard will help the boats to see and avoid you. :eek:

The Money Bar (don't forget the word "Bar" when getting in the taxi), is a great place. I think going "ala carte" versus packages will be cheaper. Bring your own snorkeling equipment or rent from the shop across the road (cheaper). The guides for the glass boat are very good. But you don't need to go out in a boat. Lots of fish around.

Never heard of Money Beach - but I am interested! ;) Maybe The Money Bar? :confused:

It sort of depends upon how comfortable you are snorkeling. If you are an experienced snorkeler I would not bother with the guide; if you are a novice it might be a good deal.

I do not think they take you out on a boat - the big thing is that you can snorkel from the shore without a boat. Some of the tour snorkel boats just bring their customers to the area -- a white or brightly colored t-shirt or rash guard will help the boats to see and avoid you. :eek:

Yes I meant Money Bar. Sorry about that. Thanks for the advice. Already purchased rash gaurd shirts and we are ready to go. The extent of our snorkeling experience is just in the pool. The guide might be a good idea. Thanks for your response.

• 4 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack this post, but you mentioned the glass boat guides... could you point me to more info on this? We are going on our first cruise at New Years and I'm looking for some relatively inexpensive shore days... leaning towards Money Bar but since I am too much of a chicken to snorkel thought a glass boat would be great if not too pricey. Thanks :)

Not trying to hijack this post, but you mentioned the glass boat guides... could you point me to more info on this? We are going on our first cruise at New Years and I'm looking for some relatively inexpensive shore days... leaning towards Money Bar but since I am too much of a chicken to snorkel thought a glass boat would be great if not too pricey. Thanks :)

If you google " Cozumel glass bottom boat" you will get hits for several tour operators or at least third party brokers. I think the boat takes you to the reef at The Money Ba as one of the locationsr but don't believe any actually leave from that location. Others will correct me if I am wrong!

Highly recommend Money Bar for a drink, snack and view!

Edited by c-leg5

You can rent a glass bottom kayak at the money bar. Google their website and look under beach comber. It list what they have for rent. I would think this would be a good alternative to snorkeling and cheap as well. The glass bottom kayaks are $6 a hour.

You can rent a glass bottom kayak at the money bar. Google their website and look under beach comber. It list what they have for rent. I would think this would be a good alternative to snorkeling and cheap as well. The glass bottom kayaks are $6 a hour.

Sounds like a good alternative.

I have never seen them at the Money Bar and I just had a quick look through TripAdvisor photos and don't see anyone using them.

Playa Uvas is one of the places usually recommended for glass bottom kayaks although I have heard complaints that they are so scratched you don't see much. I haven't used them so I don't know but my daughter and her husband did a snorkel and kayak package once at Playa Uvas and found the current very strong the day they were there and very tiring.

Edited by c-leg5

Sounds like a good alternative.

I have never seen them at the Money Bar and I just had a quick look through TripAdvisor photos and don't see anyone using them.

Playa Uvas is one of the places usually recommended for glass bottom kayaks although I have heard complaints that they are so scratched you don't see much. I haven't used them so I don't know but my daughter and her husband did a snorkel and kayak package once at Playa Uvas and found the current very strong the day they were there and very tiring.

I'm just going off of the money bar website. It says that they have them for rent. I'll know for sure in five weeks after we have been there!!