BOGO'S Back

They can't fix the easiest web site glitches but they can sure program price increases at the stroke of midnight on "Sale" day. :rolleyes:

yup... we were waiting for the bogoho promo to book our cruise.. wham!!.. price is higher than if we booked regular rate without the half off second person...even ta says to wait till promo is over.. reg. rate is less..do they not realize some of us follow the rates.... I guess they feel enough do not and the advertising of bogoho will pulll you in..

If RCI continues to have these 'sales', I may have to quit cruising and find alternative types of vacations in my retirement. Cruise I was following was $2400 yesterday, and today it is $ 2571.

Craig

The two cruises I had my eye on both went up as well. What a joke.:rolleyes:

Brilliance Nov 19, 2016:

pre-bogo: $1619 total

post-bogo: $2005 total

Glad now I booked at the $1,619 Fare.

Edited by The Grumpus

So the moral is?... Don't worry about "sales". Today, by far and away hands down any sale does not mean a thing.

Like John&Lala recently posted (I think) regarding his recent Freedom cruise, there were only 40 people at the M&M on the entire ship of 3600 with an overwhelming percentage of new(er) cruisers. New(er) cruisers are buying into the "sales". Our entire culture is based on "sales", discounting and bargains... not base prices. Almost everything we all buy is "on sale", we never pay full price for anything.

I feel that these sales are working, else RCL would not promote them. There'd be a different "sale" if the current BOGO's, drink packages etc weren't working for RCL.

As I'm typing this on my brand new 128gb iPad Air 2, which Sam's Club had on sale for $75 off their already discounted price (prompting me to finally click the buy button), I have to agree. :D

And for everyone who loves sales, today's BOGO sale ends August 16th and we can all wait with baited breath to see what new sale Royal offers starting August 17th! So exciting! ;):D

~ Judy

Ditto here on price hikes! I checked on the price yesterday vs today's "sale" and it went up $200. I think eventually even newbies will catch on , especially if they work with an honest travel agent!

Ditto here on price hikes! I checked on the price yesterday vs today's "sale" and it went up $200. I think eventually even newbies will catch on , especially if they work with an honest travel agent!

What exactly are they going to catch on to :what:

Book now and watch price go up.

If it comes down, ask for reduction.

That's what an honest TA should tell them

A $200 increase is just a switch from the 30% sale to the BOGOHO sale with an unchanged base price of $2000 per pax for 1 and 2 in a balcony or higher cabin. To keep the price the same with the change in sales, the base price would have to drop to $1866 per pax for 1 and 2.

Since only balcony and above got the 30%, if you aren't stating your cabin category, you're not providing enough information. Every cruise I've spot checked on price history, the price on balcony and above has gone up 5% of base price since yesterday and OV and Interior has gone down in price. I've looked at lots of ships and lots of dates.

Again, going from a 30% off sale to a 25% off sale (which is what the BOGOHO is), I'm surprised at all the complaints about price increases. The math says that prices would increase.

A $200 increase is just a switch from the 30% sale to the BOGOHO sale with an unchanged base price of $2000 per pax for 1 and 2 in a balcony or higher cabin. To keep the price the same with the change in sales, the base price would have to drop to $1866 per pax for 1 and 2.

Since only balcony and above got the 30%, if you aren't stating your cabin category, you're not providing enough information. Every cruise I've spot checked on price history, the price on balcony and above has gone up 5% of base price since yesterday and OV and Interior has gone down in price. I've looked at lots of ships and lots of dates.

Again, going from a 30% off sale to a 25% off sale (which is what the BOGOHO is), I'm surprised at all the complaints about price increases. The math says that prices would increase.

I think what is happening is that prices have gone up over the past month and then as you said they went up again yesterday by the 5%. People haven't checked the prices in a while and are just checking now due to the new sale and are attributing the entire price increase to the new BOGO sale. Checking on certain websites that show dates of price increases/decreases will show this.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Wow! We book family cabins so I can't check prices easily on the website. Booked our 2016 cruise in April during some kind of promo because I have $100 OBC from RCCL. $5,845 for our family of 5 for one of the new family panoramic oceanviews on Freedom. I called today and the other one is still available - for $7,377.

$1,500 in two months, for a cruise just shy of a year away - Wow.

Here I thought it was a little pricey when I booked.

Edited by PattyW

March 2017 Oasis - D1 cabin; D+ discount. All in, the price dropped $57 from when we booked (30/30) to today, so without the D+ discount the price would have gone up by $18.

The complaints aren't necessarily just about the delta between yesterday and today, but more of a long-festering frustration over the "death by 1,000 cuts" (or is that increases) price escalation strategy that RCL implemented starting last May. The only cruise that we have booked (out of 8) that isn't priced over the moon from when we booked is this one, and that's only because we booked it last week.

Edited by orville99

March 2017 Oasis - D1 cabin; D+ discount. All in, the price dropped $57 from when we booked (30/30) to today, so without the D+ discount the price would have gone up by $18.

See, now a price going down for a balcony or higher is actually a surprise to me. :)

But that may have more to do with your D+ discount and the fact that under the 30 sale people only got 70% of the discount. I'm too lazy to look up the D+ discount and reverse-engineer the math. :D

I think what is happening is that prices have gone up over the past month and then as you said they went up again yesterday by the 5%. People haven't checked the prices in a while and are just checking now due to the new sale and are attributing the entire price increase to the new BOGO sale. Checking on certain websites that show dates of price increases/decreases will show this.

Exactly. I was looking on "certain websites".

I said before that math isn't the problem here. If the price goes up from one 'sale' to the next then its not really a sale. It's a sale in name only. That's the complaint.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I said before that math isn't the problem here. If the price goes up from one 'sale' to the next then its not really a sale. It's a sale in name only. That's the complaint.

Huh?

30% off retail vs. Buy one at retail price, get one half off... they are both sales.

A sale is relative to the base price. Not a comparison from one price that is less than retail to another price that is also less than retail.

It's a different sale. The old sale expired. Why does price always have to go down anyway. :what:

Huh?

30% off retail vs. Buy one at retail price, get one half off... they are both sales.

A sale is relative to the base price. Not a comparison from one price that is less than retail to another price that is also less than retail.

It's a different sale. The old sale expired. Why does price always have to go down anyway. :what:

My point is it's all semantics. There hasn't NOT been a sale I think since March 2014 and prices have been going up ever since. For all we know they're setting the price, calling it BOGO or 30/30 and then calculating the so called base price from there.

Edited by Big_G

Well the base rate did not go up. It didn't change. The discounting of course changed from 30% off for two people to 50% off one person, as a result, the overall rate increased $89 each.

Not really news as I projected this one.

Same here on my Harmony cruise next year. BOGO rate increase of $72 over the 30/30 sale. Glad I booked when I did. I have to include that I'm paying less for my Harmony cruise than I did on my Allure cruise in 2012, and my Independence cruise in 2010 for similar category's.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

Agreed, both of my future balcony itineraries went up in "net" price because the discount percentage on balconies has decreased. Their base prices stayed the same.

I've been watching prices for a few itineraries, including one for which I'd be willing to book an OV if only I could make the dates work with my schedule. The OV has gone down in net price, predictably, with the bump to 25% off instead of the prior 20% off.

With that said, I was curious as to whether Royal would boost the base prices in addition to changing the discount to 25% off, thereby gifting us with a double-whammy if you will. As of today, on the itineraries and cabin classes that I monitor, the base prices haven't increased.

My point is it's all semantics. There hasn't NOT been a sale I think since March 2014 and prices have been going up ever since. For all we know they're setting the price, calling it BOGO or 30/30 and then calculating the so called base price from there.

But many reported that 30/30 was a decent drop from the original release prices. I would have jumped on it but we are full for the end of 2016 and no time off in 2017 until End of March

But many reported that 30/30 was a decent drop from the original release prices. I would have jumped on it but we are full for the end of 2016 and no time off in 2017 until End of March

Sorry but I've not seen those price drops nor have I seen too many reporting those savings. Maybe I'm not pricing the right cruises or reading the right posts.