5-Hour Layover in Paris - go to Eiffel Tower

beachgal

We have a 5-hour layover in Paris and want to get over to Eiffel Tower to get photo. What are the logistics for this? We're flying from Istanbul, so I assume we have to pick up our luggage at baggage claim and drop back off for Paris to US flight. We may have a smaller bag that we don't need to carry around - are there lockers? Is it easy to hop into cab and get to Eiffel Tower to take pictures & get back to airport? I know we don't really have a lot of time because we'll have to come back thru security, etc.

Any tips? I really want our photos here!! Thanks.

We have a 5-hour layover in Paris and want to get over to Eiffel Tower to get photo. What are the logistics for this? We're flying from Istanbul, so I assume we have to pick up our luggage at baggage claim and drop back off for Paris to US flight. We may have a smaller bag that we don't need to carry around - are there lockers? Is it easy to hop into cab and get to Eiffel Tower to take pictures & get back to airport? I know we don't really have a lot of time because we'll have to come back thru security, etc.

Dpends on what time you land in Paris,and IF your bags are checked through to the US from Istanbul then you may have a shot,but if not I would say no...wait for that pic and come back to Paris for a stay and get all the pics you want!! Again, it is all in the timing and possibley using the train to avoid any road traffic,and some other's may have a good suggestion for you.

In Paris right now. We landed this morning at 7:30 from Dallas. Immigration was a breeze….. took a while to get luggage ! Then our driver was waiting for us after customs so right into his car.

But it took us 1.5 hrs to get to our hotel not far from Eiffel Tower !!!!!!! :eek:

Even if your luggage is checked through to US - I would say "its not gonna happen" The traffic is horrendous.

The taxis were on strike too so train etc was a mess according to our driver…..

Well I am not sure but I think you would have to go through customs if you left the airport because Turkey is not signatory to the Schengen Agreement, so it could take you at least an hour to deplane and navigate the lines. (And you may have to do that anyway before boarding the next flight.)

The RER train and Metro would take too long. A taxi would probably be faster but expensive -- about 48-50€ and 35 to 45 minutes just one way, assuming no heavy traffic. You might want to pay the driver to wait as well to ensure a fast ride back. Not sure what one would charge to do that.

So, if you assume at least an hour in the airport, 1.5 -2 hours in travel, at least another hour for security to reboard, you might have about 1-1.5 hours to see the outside of Eiffel Tower (not go up). Possible, perhaps.

Trying to get into Paris in the morning (from about 7:30 -10) is often a traffic nightmare and getting the the Eiffel Tower is even more difficult since it lies on the opposite side of Paris (and the Seine) from CDG. And as Chloe has already said, if you are coming from Turkey you will have to clear both immigration and customs. And, if you are later taking an international flight (such as to the US) you need to be back at the airport at least 2 1/2 hours before your flight (anything less becomes a little risky) to clear security. Given the distance between CDG and the Eiffel tower we would not consider such a task. Paris is a wonderful place (DW and I have spent weeks in the city) but this is just not the way to see the place.

Hank

Just visited Paris last fall. People assume you are flying into Charles de Gaulle but I suppose it might be Orly. Charles de Gaulle is 40 minutes from the Eiffel Tower in good traffic and Orly about the same. Guessing you'll be arriving early morning, so traffic will not be good. Not at all.

To put it in perspective, you'd probably be safer if you tried going on public transport. Public transport would take around an hour and forty-five minutes each way if you head for Trocadero Metro station. Why that station? 4187662944_91851e2942.jpg

Sadly, don't expect that view. Most likely you'll find the area pictured just about covered in touts and tourists. Still an awesome view and there are a few areas to get a great picture.

I may be wrong, but I think if you are flying on one ticket, with connections, your luggage should be checked through to the final destination. You are not going through customs in Paris, but you will go through in transit immigration. This could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours in my experience. Personally, I'd never chance it, but up to you how much you want to chance. Remember to allow time for security on your return to the airport. Last flight out of Paris it took us about twenty minutes.

Edited by TravelinGert

I would also warn against this plan. We had almost 10 hours before our flight on to Rome. We DID go into town on the Express Bus, left our luggage at the Gare de Lyon train station (beautiful building in it's own right, but a total zoo).

Then we headed to the Bat-O-Bus for a quick ride around Paris on the river. Then back to the train station to retrieve our luggage. Just caught the Express Bus as it was leaving the train station. If we had missed that bus, we would have missed our flight.

We were exhausted/nervous/hungry travelers when we arrived at the gate of our onward flight to Rome. We arrived at our hotel in Rome at 10:45 pm

(no breakfast, no lunch, and no dinner) and collapsed into bed.

We had a whirlwind view of Paris, but no time to really enjoy it. I don't think you can physically do it in only 5 hours.

Basically I posed this same question a few years ago and I got the same replies that you are getting...... and sadly they are all correct. We decided against trying to leave the airport and glad of it as we never would have made it back in time. There is a lot of time spent going through checkpoints, and the airport is large (DeGaulle). We had a five hour layover as well and we didn't actually spend that much time sitting and waiting to board the next plane. To make up for this we are going to Paris next year after our cruise.