Drink Prices Factored With Gratuity

Newbury newbie

Our guidelines include this statement:

"Harassment of our members is not allowed. Cruise Critic will remove posts of this nature without notice. Repeat offenders may have their posting privileges suspended, in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic."

Please keep this admonition in mind before posting any accusatory material referencing other Cruise Critic members or quoting an earlier post containing such material.

Thanks.

Edited by Host Walt

So you don't get any choice about paying the gratuity or not then? Not like the daily "recommended" gratuity that's added to your account each day, for the waiter and steward etc. This is technically discretionary and you could adjust it up or down, or even remove it completely and pay it direct.

So the bar menu on the Eclipse out of Southampton would show a bottle of Stella say as $7.08 and charged as such but with the Eclipse sailing the Caribbean the same bottle of Stella would appear as $6 but you would get billed and see $7.08 on your account?

:confused::confused::confused:

In this example would they really show $7.08 for a Stella in the drink menu? Would they not round the price up or down to a whole number? If so does tip vary by drink?

In this example would they really show $7.08 for a Stella in the drink menu? Would they not round the price up or down to a whole number? If so does tip vary by drink?

I think some are making this too complicated, it is not. Simple example, first year if you bought a drink for $5 you were charged $5.75 which included 75 cents for the tip which at the time was 15%. The next year you were still charged the $5.75 but that was the cost of the drink, no tip assessed. I'm sure they made some rounding when they went to 18%. As I said, it was simple.

Yes it does. just as the cost varies from drink to drink.

Hence a $5.90 drink is $5.00 x 18% =.90 grat

The $7.08 drink is $6.00 x 18% = $1.08 grat

The $14.16 martini is $12.00 x 18% = $2.16 grat

Which means that a good bar tender of server that rings in 15-20-even 30 drinks per hour is making way more than any business could afford to pay anyone. Well, unless your a lawyer!

This is why we will see the same server carrying a tray of Bloddy Marys first thing in the morning, then the drink of the day by the pool, and working the isles of the show lounge at night. 150-200 or more swipes a day!:eek: Simple math. It is no wonder they can take a 3 month vacation every year.

Edited by wallie5446

Yes it does. just as the cost varies from drink to drink.

Hence a $5.90 drink is $5.00 x 18% =.90 grat

The $7.08 drink is $6.00 x 18% = $1.08 grat

The $14.16 martini is $12.00 x 18% = $2.16 grat

Which means that a good bar tender of server that rings in 15-20-even 30 drinks per hour is making way more than any business could afford to pay anyone. Well, unless your a lawyer!

This is why we will see the same server carrying a tray of Bloddy Marys first thing in the morning, then the drink of the day by the pool, and working the isles of the show lounge at night. 150-200 or more swipes a day!:eek: Simple math. It is no wonder they can take a 3 month vacation every year.

I get the idea but cannot see celebrity printing a bar menu with a drink priced at $14.16. Would they not price at $14 so the $12 drink becomes $2 more. In years of cruising I have never seen a drink priced with odd cents at the end.

Edited by marcussainter

I'm not so sure that the server gets all the 18%. In some fashion it is allocated to include the assistants and others? It would be interesting to know the methodology, but I don't think we will ever know the exact formula.

I'm not so sure that the server gets all the 18%. In some fashion it is allocated to include the assistants and others? It would be interesting to know the methodology, but I don't think we will ever know the exact formula.

They are all pooled.....

Another guideline pertaining to discussing removed posts:

"It is fine if you disagree with any of our decisions or actions, but the correct way to share your grievance is to directly contact us at community@cruisecritic.com. Please do not challenge, defy, debate or ignore the directive in any of the public forums."

I get the idea but cannot see celebrity printing a bar menu with a drink priced at $14.16. Would they not price at $14 so the $12 drink becomes $2 more. In years of cruising I have never seen a drink priced with odd cents at the end.

We have never cruised outside the Caribbean, so the grat has always been added and not included on all of our sailings.

Anyone sailed the Med lately and care to share how the pricing was shown?

I wonder how that affects the "classic" drinks package which for example limits wines to those $9 a glass and under. If the price is higher because of included gratuity, wouldn't that be a problem to have a formerly $8.00 glass become $9.44 on the menu?

If anybody knows I'd appreciate hearing!

Yes, that's quite right.

Prices where tips are included are at some round number, just as the regular price is.

That said, I'd expect the actual drink cost is the underlying amount being modified, rather than the tip. i.e. the drink becomes $5.93 in that scenario with the tip remaining at 18%, so rounds to $7.

Of course, in other situations the drink cost may wind up being a few cents dearer, so it all works out in the end, just as they round the base cost normally.

I wonder how that affects the "classic" drinks package which for example limits wines to those $9 a glass and under. If the price is higher because of included gratuity, wouldn't that be a problem to have a formerly $8.00 glass become $9.44 on the menu?

If anybody knows I'd appreciate hearing!

Drink package inclusions are similarly increased in dollar value to have the same coverage. There's no difference from a usage/benefit perspective.

If a drink is in the classic package due to it's price being under the limit, than it will remain so i.e. $8 wine without gratuity that was included in the package now becomes the $9.44 drinks with gratuity still included in the package due to the package having a $9.44 (with gratuity) limit.

If a drink is in the classic package due to it's price being under the limit, than it will remain so i.e. $8 wine without gratuity that was included in the package now becomes the $9.44 drinks with gratuity still included in the package due to the package having a $9.44 (with gratuity) limit.

Except neither is the case, as they round prices rather than making drinks 9.44, and similarly the package limit is rounded to cover the amount, rather than being the exact amount.

Drink package inclusions are similarly increased in dollar value to have the same coverage. There's no difference from a usage/benefit perspective.

Thanks so much for clarifying.

Except neither is the case, as they round prices rather than making drinks 9.44, and similarly the package limit is rounded to cover the amount, rather than being the exact amount.

Perhaps my wording did not clarify it but my point was that the drink package price is raised to still cover the same level but no includes the gratuity built in. (i.e. the drink that was included before is still included).:D