What Lenses to Take Silversea Arctic

PaulMCO

We leave in 30 days for a 14 night Silversea Arctic expedition cruise starting in Longyearbyen and cruising the arctic and Greenland east coast and ending in Reykjavik.

I will be bringing 2 bodies -- a Nikon D810 and D610. Need one as a backup - as have learned from past trips the horror of a failure.

So the question is what lenses do I bring among my collection..

28-300 zoom is my all around lense and will use this around the ship plus our stays in Oslo and Reykjavik. Other lenses available to take with me are--

1) Tamron 150-600 *

2) Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 *

3) Nikkor 70-200 F2.8

4) Nikkor 50mm f.1.4

5) Nikkor 85mm F1.8

* indicates what is tentatively planned and fits in my small carry on.

Any suggestions?? Would you take the 70-200 instead of the 150-600??

If you have a wide angle prime, you might take it, Otherwise your list looks good. What are you going to do to support the long lens. Are you bringing a tripod?

DON

Of course -- one that can also be used as a monopod.

Sorry I missed this before I posted.

What one do you have, I'm looking for a new one.

I have this tripod and can be used as a monopod. Can use with size camera.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Sirui+N-1004KX+4-Section+Aluminum+Tripod&_sacat=0

Edited by c230k

Sorry I missed this before I posted.

What one do you have, I'm looking for a new one.

Benro Travel Angel I series. They recently updated their line with a series II product. Mine is A1691 new one is the A1692..

Edited by PaulMCO

We leave in 30 days for a 14 night Silversea Arctic expedition cruise starting in Longyearbyen and cruising the arctic and Greenland east coast and ending in Reykjavik.

I will be bringing 2 bodies -- a Nikon D810 and D610. Need one as a backup - as have learned from past trips the horror of a failure.

So the question is what lenses do I bring among my collection..

28-300 zoom is my all around lense and will use this around the ship plus our stays in Oslo and Reykjavik. Other lenses available to take with me are--

1) Tamron 150-600 *

2) Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 *

3) Nikkor 70-200 F2.8

4) Nikkor 50mm f.1.4

5) Nikkor 85mm F1.8

* indicates what is tentatively planned and fits in my small carry on.

Any suggestions?? Would you take the 70-200 instead of the 150-600??

I wouldn't bother with the 150-600 unless you are planning on some serious wildlife photography. You have the 150-300 covered with your 28-300. The 150-600 isn't going to have massively better image quality, and it's a big heavy lens to carry.

I absolutely would bring the 17-35, especially since it is the only wide angle lens on your list.

As to the others, depends what and how you plan to shoot. The 70-200/2.8 is obviously a very large lens. It overlaps your 28-300, but it will give you far better image quality and be much better in low light.

But which is more likely to get use? If you were shooting something at 150mm... would you rather have the convenience of your 28-300, or would you lug around the 70-200 for the better IQ?

Truthfully, I'd consider NOT bringing the 28-300 if you are willing to lug weight. If IQ is the priority, then go with the 70-200 and some other lenses, and skip the 28-300. Carry 2 camera bodies, with the 17-35 on one, and the 70-200 on the other, with your 50/1.4 in your pocket.

If you are willing to trade some image quality and low light performance for the convenience and lesser weight, then accept the 28-300 as your main lens. Have the 17-35 for ultrawide.

And maybe, as a 3rd lens, have the 50/1.4 or 85/1.8 for occasions when you want higher IQ or need low light performance. I'd bring the 85mm if you are thinking portraits... I'd bring the 50 for general low light performance.

So I'd either go with:

D610 with 28-300 + D810 with 17-35 (figuring those extra mega pixels are nice for big landscapes), plus 50/1.4 OR 85/1.4 in your pocket for specialty use.

OR

D610 with the 17-35 and D810 with 70-200/2.8 (best lens on best camera) and 50/1.4 in your pocket. (Basically giving you full coverage from 17 up to 200 except for tiny holes from 36-49 and 51-69).

The IQ of the 70-200/2.8 combination on the D810 (high lens IQ combined with 36mp) will give you so much cropping latitude, that it is almost like carrying a 300-400mm lens.

I wouldn't bother with the 150-600 unless you are planning on some serious wildlife photography. You have the 150-300 covered with your 28-300. The 150-600 isn't going to have massively better image quality, and it's a big heavy lens to carry.

The wildlife intent is for whales and Polar Bears. You have a good point about the extra mega pixels. Low light might not be an issue for the wildlife in most cases especially with 24 hours of daylight :)

Silversea - zodiacs being the main way to shore and also ice cruising - so size does matter for the excursions. On ship during scenic cruises -- no issues.

Silversea - zodiacs being the main way to shore and also ice cruising - so size does matter for the excursions. On ship during scenic cruises -- no issues.

Paul, particularly when you are on the zodiacs, and I'm sure you've thought about this -- you don't want to get caught with a lens that is not wide enough, as could happen if you just had the 70-200. I think you will find the 28-300 will give you more options in those instances, plus you may well find yourself in a wet and/or windy environment in which you won't want to be changing lenses. (I say all of this having been to Antarctica, where we were aboard zodiacs as well. I was primarily using the Nikon 18-300 on my D7000.)

Speaking of wet -- do you have a little pocket p&s waterproof camera? I found this really came in handy on the zodiacs the few times it was simply too wet to pull out the DSLR (and some occasions on shore as well), and was really glad I'd brought one along.

I hope you have an awesome trip!

The wildlife intent is for whales and Polar Bears. You have a good point about the extra mega pixels. Low light might not be an issue for the wildlife in most cases especially with 24 hours of daylight :)

Okay... I see the logic in both then. Using the 150-600 from your balcony and the 28-300 on excursions.

So if I were in your shoes, my game plan would be:

Excursions, the 28-300 on the D810 with the 17-35 in your bag/pocket. With the high megapixels, you'll be able to treat that 28-300 as a bit more.

On board the ship, the 150-600 on your balcony. The 28-300 for walking around outdoors on the ship. The 17-35 and/or 50/1.4 for indoors on the ship.

Paul, particularly when you are on the zodiacs, and I'm sure you've thought about this -- you don't want to get caught with a lens that is not wide enough, as could happen if you just had the 70-200. I think you will find the 28-300 will give you more options in those instances, plus you may well find yourself in a wet and/or windy environment in which you won't want to be changing lenses. (I say all of this having been to Antarctica, where we were aboard zodiacs as well. I was primarily using the Nikon 18-300 on my D7000.)

Speaking of wet -- do you have a little pocket p&s waterproof camera? I found this really came in handy on the zodiacs the few times it was simply too wet to pull out the DSLR (and some occasions on shore as well), and was really glad I'd brought one along.

I hope you have an awesome trip!

Thanks.

My wife carries the pocket waterproof Casio and her GoPro.

Agree I had the 70-200 with me for Antarctica and I used the 18-300 on my D7000. My 610 died in the Falklands. I was glad I had the D7000!!

I used the wide angle several times in Antarctica. So it will be in my pocket or backpack.

I still may take the 70-200 with me -- if I can convince my DW to put it into here backpack :)