Alcoholic Beverage Questions, NCL Gem

I guess this would apply to any NCL ship but since I'm sailing with the Gem later this year, I'll see what I can find out about that ship's practices.

I occasionally drink alcoholic beverages ... a nice glass of wine (one is usually enough for me!) with a quality entrée, or a good German beer with German food, or if I am feeling adventuresome I might try a new cocktail for the experience.

I certainly do not drink enough to justify the paying the horrifying prices for the beer/wine or beer/wine/spirits packages!!! :eek:

So my questions are these:

I am supposed to receive a $50 general shipboard credit on my cruise. Can that be used to purchase beer, wine, or spirits?

Also, how many occasions are complimentary drinks offered, say a glass of wine at dinner, or a tasting, or whatever?

Edited by Presbycruiser

I guess this would apply to any NCL ship but since I'm sailing with the Gem later this year, I'll see what I can find out about that ship's practices.

I occasionally drink alcoholic beverages ... a nice glass of wine (one is usually enough for me!) with a quality entrée, or a good German beer with German food, or if I am feeling adventuresome I might try a new cocktail for the experience.

I certainly do not drink enough to justify the paying the horrifying prices for the beer/wine or beer/wine/spirits packages!!! :eek:

I am supposed to receive a $50 general shipboard credit on my cruise. Can that be used to purchase beer, wine, or spirits?

Also, how many occasions are complimentary drinks offered, say a glass of wine at dinner, or a tasting, or whatever?

Yes your OBC can be used for drinks.

Past guest party will be the only place that has complimentary drinks.

Right, there are tastings--usually rum or some type of liqueur; your Freestyle Daily will say when they are.

Edited by mizlorinj

The OBC (on board credit) will be in your account, and it will offset whatever is charged to your account, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, in your case to the tune of $50.

I've never seen complimentary wine offered at dinner. There may be some NCL sponsored gatherings for Latitudes members, things like that, where you'll get a free drink. Tastings are usually activities with a charge.

BTW, you are permitted to bring on board as many bottles of wine as you'd like, for a $15 fee per bottle.

Your OBC will be used for anything you charge on board except for the daily service charge. So if you have a drink it will go against the OBC. There are no complimentary alcoholic drinks on board unless you have some status with Latitudes and go to their party or are in a suite. Otherwise no "free" drinks.

I do appreciate the information given and really do ask that people stop fussing at me for not expressing thanks quickly enough. If I'm going to be jumped on for any little transgression I might as well sign out. I have enough stress in my own life.

Every cruise I have been on has free dry champagne at the art auction.

It's about the cheapest stuff you can get, but hey, it's free :) drink up!

You need to be drunk to buy some of that "art"!:rolleyes:

You need to be drunk to buy some of that "art"!:rolleyes:

I have never bought any of those overpriced prints and gimmicks. Would be really sad if I had, I am an art major!

And I have only went to one art auction for the free champagne, on my first cruise for the champagne.

Although, carnival has the most free alcohol out of all the cruise lines! They offer free dry brut champagne at probably 3-4 events if not more. Last carnival one I went were handing out free champagne at a night club and we're doing bogo drinks.

And on some NCL sailings they have offered specials at certain bars at cheaper rates

on royal, I haven't seen much champagne, but they sometimes will have half price drink happy hr while in port. I definitely had fun that hr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have the check out the art auctions ... as long as I don't have to buy anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

There are usually 2-3 servers with some on a tray. With so many people having the ubp, should have no trouble getting as many as you want

• 5 weeks later...
what do wine, beer & mixed drinks cost individually if you don't purchase a beverage plan? Just curious.....

Wine is anywhere between 6-10.00 a glass. Cruise ship wine is not worth it, imho. Beer is cheapest by the buckets, comes out to 4.00 or so a beer, specialty beer can be from 6-8.00 per can or bottle.

Drink of the day mixed drinks are 6-7.00 but I usually don't drink these as I find them "weak" for the price

Mixed drinks are usually 6-8.00, well drinks like rum and coke 5-6.00, Martinis and whiskey 10+

Wine is anywhere between 6-10.00 a glass. Cruise ship wine is not worth it, imho. Beer is cheapest by the buckets, comes out to 4.00 or so a beer, specialty beer can be from 6-8.00 per can or bottle.

Drink of the day mixed drinks are 6-7.00 but I usually don't drink these as I find them "weak" for the price

Mixed drinks are usually 6-8.00, well drinks like rum and coke 5-6.00, Martinis and whiskey 10+

I don't remember my martinis (hendricks) being over $10. I think they were 8-9.

Drink prices are still reasonable (for a cruise line) on NCL, so if you are like the OP or me, the beverage plans are not a good deal. I'll enjoy a drink or two, but alcohol prices in any venue are always among the highest profit items and are considered, by me at least, a total rip off.

Drink prices are still reasonable (for a cruise line) on NCL, so if you are like the OP or me, the beverage plans are not a good deal. I'll enjoy a drink or two, but alcohol prices in any venue are always among the highest profit items and are considered, by me at least, a total rip off.

I find all drink prices on ships very reasonable. They are about the same at any bar here I have been to, and some ships even have happy hour on port days :)