Scuba options in Cayman (georgetown)

ellis101

Hi All

Im currently working towards my BSAC ocean diver scuba certificate. 20m depth.

I want to do a dive in Grand cayman but NCL only have a 'discover scuba' excursion so i want to explore other options. i also have the potential to dive at Cozumel to see reefs etc so need some help to decide!

has anyone ever dived here and can you offer some advice or tips for a new diver? i would love to dive the Kittiwake wreck but im also concious i can do a two tank two location dive excursion in cozumel so want to max my opportunity!

thanks for your help

The Kittiwake website has a comprehensive list of dive companies that do excursions there, and you should be able to find a one-tank dive. It's a great site from the videos I've seen.

If you tell the dive company that you're a fairly new diver, they'll take good care of you. DH dives regularly in Cayman, and hasn't had a bad experience yet. (He's been diving for 30+ years, though.) Unfortunately, he usually dives out at East End or North Side, so he's not very familiar with the sites closer to the port area and West Bay, which is where you'd likely end up.

If the OP does not yet have his/her BSAC Ocean Diver certificate then the only option is a Discover Dive.

BSAC Ocean Diver is equivalent to PADI Open Water certification. Anything short of that is considered uncertified.

If the BSCA certification is completed before traveling then there are several options for a two tank dive. But many of those are geared towards a deep wall dive (30m) followed by a shallow reef dive (18m).

If the OP does not yet have his/her BSAC Ocean Diver certificate then the only option is a Discover Dive.

BSAC Ocean Diver is equivalent to PADI Open Water certification. Anything short of that is considered uncertified.

If the BSCA certification is completed before traveling then there are several options for a two tank dive. But many of those are geared towards a deep wall dive (30m) followed by a shallow reef dive (18m).

Thanks drew.

I am almost complete on the secured and theory and will start the open water dives next week so will be bsac certificated before March sail date.

you can shore dive from EDEN ROCK or SUNSET HOUSE, both a pretty near the tender landings and have been written about A BUNCH here and over in the SCUBA section . . .

max depth is 60 feet and there are no "schedules" to worry about