Next Sale - Fall Finale

InTheWASide

Not showing those already booked the reduced prices does save the myriad of phone calls from those who neglect to read (or believe) "for new reservations only".!

Before final you can get the price so this isn't relevent. The fact is, if you don't have a cruise booked with them you'll likely get a better price. There is nothing on the special pricing to say it's for new booking only so why even bring it up?It's pretty hard to put a positive spin on that, but Thx for trying.

Edited by cruz chic

I really think it has to do with having a cruise booked.

The cruise was a nice getaway from what has become a very stressful year for multiple reasons. It's too bad we didn't meet, at least that we know of.

We got HAL email both when we had a cruise booked and when we didn't. It could be that they have different rules for Canadian customers. (Not saying that they do. I'm just trouble shooting.)

Based on prior knowledge (and totally not because I'm a creepy stalker guy) I know that you have more than one email address. Use your second one - not the one attached to your Mariner account - to sign up for email. Don't fill in any of the optional fields if possible. You don't want to have your second address removed during de-duping.

You might wind up with duplicate mail messages, and you'll just have to delete them. When you do get messages, make sure you view the images. (View images is probably a setting in your mail program.) Finally, click on links in the messages occasionally. It shows the monitoring program that you care. There's some other stuff you can do, but it starts to get a little technical.

It is really difficult to understand the reasoning that takes place on several issues in that building on West Elliott Avenue in Seattle. Much of it seems very illogical to me.

Simply put, HAL's IT / PR department is laughably bad.

Even with the switch to Princess' IT/booking system they still lag behind as one of the most inept of any travel company not named United Airlines.

The reason you may not receive emails, Mariner Magazine, etc is that you have directed them not to send. If you have an on line account, "My Account" under preferences, there is a spot that you click yes or no to receive mail, emails and phone calls.

No .... That is not the case for me. I have it checked to send me e-mails but none have found my box in a very long time. :(

Before final you can get the price so this isn't relevent. The fact is, if you don't have a cruise booked with them you'll likely get a better price. There is nothing on the special pricing to say it's for new booking only so why even bring it up?It's pretty hard to put a positive spin on that, but Thx for trying.

This also is not the case for me. I have no HAL cruises currently booked. I have been getting snail mail but no e-mails.

My sister and I use the same email address since she doesn't have one. I get different emails addressed to her than I do for me. I've always found that interesting. She's never sailed HAL and I've noticed she gets more "specials" than I do. I tend to get emails in my name for last minute deals out of Seattle because I live close.

call the mariner society...i found after I completed a cruise, i was taken off the list for emails/mailings...happened a few times - there was probably a glitch in the system at one time.

Carol

The Mariner Society had trouble crediting many on our roll call with the right information so maybe they "lost" my email.

Since I am booked for another cruise, that could be it as well.

I am going to take POA1's advice and sign up for emails on my alternate e-mail address and see what happens.

We got HAL email both when we had a cruise booked and when we didn't. It could be that they have different rules for Canadian customers. (Not saying that they do. I'm just trouble shooting.)

Based on prior knowledge (and totally not because I'm a creepy stalker guy) I know that you have more than one email address. Use your second one - not the one attached to your Mariner account - to sign up for email. Don't fill in any of the optional fields if possible. You don't want to have your second address removed during de-duping.

You might wind up with duplicate mail messages, and you'll just have to delete them. When you do get messages, make sure you view the images. (View images is probably a setting in your mail program.) Finally, click on links in the messages occasionally. It shows the monitoring program that you care. There's some other stuff you can do, but it starts to get a little technical.

Yes, you've mentioned this before. I did that and nothing. You possibly get more due to your location. As the other poster mentioned, you get cut off once you have a cruise booked or shortly after. Maybe they have a subset of rules for others. There are many posters that never see special pricing that have cruises booked constantly.

Edited by cruz chic

No .... That is not the case for me. I have it checked to send me e-mails but none have found my box in a very long time. :(

This also is not the case for me. I have no HAL cruises currently booked. I have been getting snail mail but no e-mails.

I get no snail mail or emails. Do you have a fcd? That coukd play into it.

The Mariner Society had trouble crediting many on our roll call with the right information so maybe they "lost" my email.

Since I am booked for another cruise, that could be it as well.

I am going to take POA1's advice and sign up for emails on my alternate e-mail address and see what happens.

Let us know if that works. It did nothing for me and I did it a year ago.

My theory is that I NEVER get emails because I don't spend much on board. A few bottles of wine, a few coffees, a rare shorex, gratuities of course, but that's about it. (Not saying that applies to others.)

We get the Mariner Mag but that's a promised benefit, I think.

The reason you may not receive emails, Mariner Magazine, etc is that you have directed them not to send. If you have an on line account, "My Account" under preferences, there is a spot that you click yes or no to receive mail, emails and phone calls.

Also check your spouse's settings. I was not getting any correspondence even though I hadn't indicated "no" in my settings. It was discovered that my husband's account was set to no. That may be the default setting as I don't think that he's ever accessed his account. At any rate, once his account settings were changed we started receiving correspondence from HAL.

My sister and I use the same email address since she doesn't have one. I get different emails addressed to her than I do for me. I've always found that interesting. She's never sailed HAL and I've noticed she gets more "specials" than I do. I tend to get emails in my name for last minute deals out of Seattle because I live close.

I have a similar experience. I cruise more often than my sister so I no longer get email specials or see discount pricing online. But one late night, all dressed in black I made a sleuthy attempt use her mariner number to dummy book my upcoming cruise. Aha! My investigation turned up the fact that the VE cabin right next to mine was $200 dollars cheaper pp. I quickly tried again without a number and then again with mine, but alas no discount.

Makes perfect sense, they are a business after all.

I get no snail mail or emails. Do you have a fcd? That coukd play into it.

Yes,,,, I have four FCD's waiting to be used.

When my DH passed away, they automatically credited them to the credit card used to purchase them and my remain available to be used.

Yes,,,, I have four FCD's waiting to be used.

When my DH passed away, they automatically credited them to the credit card used to purchase them and my remain available to be used.

You might want to check your preferences as suggested above. It's odd that you'd get snail mail and not email. My preferences say both mail and email and it works when I don't have a cruise booked.

I know people want to believe that just because they get offers everyone does. It doesn't happen that way. Plenty of examples to the contrary.

I did check my preferences several times recently. I have indicated I'd like to get e-mails. :shrug: I think they are sending me a message that now I'm a widow they don't care if I do anymore bookings?

I did check my preferences several times recently. I have indicated I'd like to get e-mails. :shrug: I think they are sending me a message that now I'm a widow they don't care if I do anymore bookings?

I don't think its that or they wouldn't send you anything. I think they believe that they would rather have fresh meat. When I read someone bought a cruise for $299 and they are looking for an upsell for $50 I wish hal good luck with passangers like that. My guess is that their onboard spending will not be high. Many of us old timers still have very hefty onboard bills. It's too bad they don't appreciate that.

Edited by cruz chic

HAL was more than happy with our onboard accounts. :) We never left the ship without a bill that put a smile on HAL's face. We never lugged our own wine but enjoyed lovely wines each evening. My DH was a bit generous in what he enjoyed ordering. :) Lest you think we need Bill W meetings, I'll add we never missed the opportunity for cocktails before dinner. If we liked something in the shops, we were delighted to find something as we didn't always see anything we wanted. No stewards were unhappy at

'stingy' tips as DH was known to be generous in saying thank you. No reason to think I'm not cut from that same cloth. :) Lots of dinners in Pinnacle and Tamarind and often we entertained guests on our check. While we got a discount for the dinners, it was more wine/more cocktails. :D That's enough sharing of info but it's a small glimpse into why HAL never lost money on us. :) We most assuredly didn't have cabins for $299. :eek: Now THAT would have been terrific.

I'm actually getting more e-mails since I became a widow.

Previously, my husband got all the e-mails. I made sure my PCC and the Mariner society were informed that I was now a solo cruise and the e-mails started coming.

Try it Sails, it might work.

Elsie,

I mentioned HAL refunded the value of the FCD's we had bought in my DH's name and my PCC immediately removed his name from everything. I get snail mail from HAL and it no longer is in both names but is only my name now where the little mail we used to get from HAL was always Mr/Mrs. Our Mariners Magazine etc always came to both.

They know I'm a widow and they know I have FCD's.

I clicked on this thread thinking this sale just be great. 3 pages of posts about it, but no, it's 3 pages of posts about email preferences apparently.:rolleyes:

Does hal ever have a good sale? The best prices are close to sailing for most cruises. Generally their sale consists of some "free" perk with an inflated cost to the cruise.

Bingo! That may be why I've started receiving snail mail from HAL. It's the first time in a very long time that we don't have a cruise booked.

Are you getting e-mails, as well?