Hamilton or St. George

MerrylandCruiser

First time to Bermuda in September on LOS (just my wife and me). I know we won't be able to see everything in just two days, and we want it to be a leisurely trip. I'm sure it won't be our last visit. Hope to get to both St. George and Hamilton, but if we can't which should be the priority (i.e, which Ferry on Day 1 morning)? We just want to take in the beauty of the island, learn about the history and culture, a little shopping, etc. The walking tours in both St. George and Hamilton sound interesting. We also want to see Horseshoe Bay, but not for a full day (just put our toes in the water for a while). Also the Dockyard reenactment and walking tour on day 2 (Tuesday) seems interesting. Any insights will be greatly appreciated. These forums are full of great advice and information!

What dockyard re-enactment? Is there something now at the dockyard? Or are you talking about the dunking thing in St. George? (You could live the rest of your life and not be sorry you missed that.) We were fortunate docking in Hamilton, and found both it and St. George fascinating, though for different reasons. If you really want an insightful look at the island, hire one of the Blue Flag taxi drivers and have them drive you around---they're really, really good.

Edited by Langoustine

If you have to choose between St. George's and Hamilton, I recommend going to St. George's. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site...full of history. Hamilton is the modern business and government center of Bermuda and really isn't much different than small cities anywhere.

What dockyard re-enactment? Is there something now at the dockyard? Or are you talking about the dunking thing in St. George? (You could live the rest of your life and not be sorry you missed that.) We were fortunate docking in Hamilton, and found both it and St. George fascinating, though for different reasons. If you really want an insightful look at the island, hire one of the Blue Flag taxi drivers and have them drive you around---they're really, really good.

The OP isn't talking about the wench ducking in St. George's.

There's been a Dockyard walking tour and historical reenactment offered most mornings during the cruise season for the past couple of years.

If you have to choose between St. George's and Hamilton, I recommend going to St. George's. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site...full of history. Hamilton is the modern business and government center of Bermuda and really isn't much different than small cities anywhere.

Thanks! That was my thought too, as long as we can make the 9:30 am ferry to St. George's. Since LOS will be the only ship in port that day, maybe they will hold the ferry for a few minutes.

Edited by MerrylandCruiser

The OP isn't talking about the wench ducking in St. George's.

There's been a Dockyard walking tour and historical reenactment offered most mornings during the cruise season for the past couple of years.

Yes, on most days they have a Historical Reenactment at 9:30 am in The Victualling Yard, followed by a Historical Walking Tour 9:50-10:30. Here's a link to Dockyard calendar of events:

http://dockyardbermuda.com/news-events/

First time to Bermuda in September on LOS (just my wife and me). I know we won't be able to see everything in just two days, and we want it to be a leisurely trip. I'm sure it won't be our last visit. Hope to get to both St. George and Hamilton, but if we can't which should be the priority (i.e, which Ferry on Day 1 morning)? We just want to take in the beauty of the island, learn about the history and culture, a little shopping, etc. The walking tours in both St. George and Hamilton sound interesting. We also want to see Horseshoe Bay, but not for a full day (just put our toes in the water for a while). Also the Dockyard reenactment and walking tour on day 2 (Tuesday) seems interesting. Any insights will be greatly appreciated. These forums are full of great advice and information!

I love St. George's....the ferry ride over to St. George's is a beautiful ride...you get to see a lot of the island..it's a 45 minute nice ride...there are unique shops in St. George's..but more touristy shops in Hamilton...you can't go wrong no matter where you go in Bermuda...

If you can't make the eary ferry to St. George's, take the ferry to Hamilton, see the sights, and take the bus on the St. George's. When you are done there, take the ferry back to Dockyard. My last visit I decided to just 'see the island', and got on the bus at Dockyard, rode to Hamilton, stayed on (it changed numbers) and rode to St. George's. EM