Seward advice, please

Djaye

We will be in Seward a few days prior to cruise next year. We chose to travel from ANC by train because our travelmates have not had the AK train experience. We have done it before, but only the portion from Fairbanks to Denali. It is my understanding ANC to Seward is the most scenic portion. We realize we are missing some sights along Seward Hwy by doing this.

That said, here is our current itinerary:

Tues - Arrive Anc - Comfort Inn by AK RR

Wed - Train to Seward, Sea Life Ctr and town that day

Thurs - Kenai Fjords 8 hr. tour (no decision on operator yet)

Fri - Exit Glacier, more time in town if needed, then board

My question is this: Would it be worth spending another day in Seward and renting a car just for a day to catch some other sights - possibly even going back up Seward Hwy to see some of the sights we missed by taking the train? That would also serve to give us a cushion day if our KF tour was cancelled on Thurs. Thoughts/advice?

Adding another day is always preferable!

But if you can't, another option to consider .... rent a car on Thursday and drive to whatever sights you wanted to see. It's a nice drive, an easy drive and going to Girdwood would be about 2 hrs each way. And don't forget you have very long days; light until 11pm. Friday can be your Kenai Cruise day prior to boarding.

Also, your Wed plan is very light. You could easily visit Exit Glacier late Wed afternoon, have dinner, then stroll along the waterfront and town.

Or if you have a rental car you can stop at Exit Glacier on your way out of town.

Edited by mapleleaves

I was afraid to take the Fjords cruise on the same day as we sail. Is that risky? I have not looked at the actual times they return.

I made Wed light because we are all going to be sleep deprived after traveling from the east coast on Tues and getting up for the early train departure Wed morning. Could rethink.

Thanks for the input!

If it's not in your comfort zone, you've answered your own question .... you need to add a day.

There are Kenai cruises synched to the train schedule and cruise ship departures since that's where the bulk of the passengers come from; trips leave after 11:30am in order to catch people arriving by train and there are trips returning at 5:30pm in order to get people to the evening train and to cruiseships leaving at 8pm.

(your ship probably offers it as an excursion)

Another option is to let your friends take the train while you drive to Seward, since you've done it already.

Maple offers an excellent idea, with splitting up. But the Anchorage/Seward RR portion IS the best of the routes.

I would instead, suggest adding a day, and spending 2 nights in Anchorage, 1 day with a rental car. Then spending time on the arm- Girdwood, Portage etc. if you had an early start, you could also include Palmer, Hatcher Pass, or a Prince William Sound boat tour. Loads more option. THEN day 3 take your train to Seward.

I do boat tours, all the time on day of cruise ship boarding. Great use of time.

Another option is to let your friends take the train while you drive to Seward, since you've done it already.

The OP has only done the train from Fairbanks to Denali. Not the ANC to Seward route.

Thanks! This has given me some excellent ideas/options. Question: If we take the KF tour day of sailing with a 5:30 return, how do we handle luggage. Do we have to go back to hotel where it is being held, or can it be left with cruiseline before we do the tour?

Thanks! This has given me some excellent ideas/options. Question: If we take the KF tour day of sailing with a 5:30 return, how do we handle luggage. Do we have to go back to hotel where it is being held, or can it be left with cruiseline before we do the tour?

You can drop it off at the ship, if you have the time, prior to a boat tour, (some do start early. Otherwise, you can store it with your Kenai Fjords vendor and take it with you to the ship, there will be a transfer available.