NCL Dawn Tip - Pack a large coffee mug

Just got back from a cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn (6/26 to 7/3).

My normal morning routine is to drink a large Dunkin Donuts coffee which is about 20 ounces.

On the Dawn we ate breakfast in the buffet on most days. One small source of aggravation was that the buffet has very small coffee cups.

So I would get a plate of food and a cup of coffee and then find that the coffee cup was empty in a about 3 sips. I'm not sure of the size of their coffee cups but if I was to guess I would say that they hold 6 ounces.

Its very inconvenient to head back to the coffee machine 3 or 4 times for coffee and it is also a little tricky walking with coffee back to your table while the ship is moving (without spilling the coffee).

Lastly it would have been nice to have a mug to be able to take my coffee to go (either back to my room or wherever I was off to next). The little cups they provide don't hold very much coffee and are easy to spill if they are filled almost to the top.

So if you like to drink a lot of coffee in the morning and you want to be able to take it around with you, pack a good sized coffee mug to bring with you.

NOTE 1 - On one day in the buffet, a crew member was rolling a coffee cart around the buffet refilling coffee cups for people but this was very rare (I only saw it one day) and couldn't be counted on for keeping your coffee full.

Note 2 - I went down to the java bar one day to see if I could get a 20 ounce coffee to walk around with but from what I could see their menu only listed pay for coffees like espresso and cappuccino. There was a line so I never asked the staff if they had regular (free) coffee there.

My normal morning routine is to drink a large Dunkin Donuts coffee which is about 20 ounces.

On the Dawn we ate breakfast in the buffet on most days. One small source of aggravation was that the buffet has very small coffee cups.

So I would get a plate of food and a cup of coffee and then find that the coffee cup was empty in a about 3 sips. I'm not sure of the size of their coffee cups but if I was to guess I would say that they hold 6 ounces.

Its very inconvenient to head back to the coffee machine 3 or 4 times for coffee and it is also a little tricky walking with coffee back to your table while the ship is moving (without spilling the coffee).

Lastly it would have been nice to have a mug to be able to take my coffee to go (either back to my room or wherever I was off to next). The little cups they provide don't hold very much coffee and are easy to spill if they are filled almost to the top.

So if you like to drink a lot of coffee in the morning and you want to be able to take it around with you, pack a good sized coffee mug to bring with you.

NOTE 1 - On one day in the buffet, a crew member was rolling a coffee cart around the buffet refilling coffee cups for people but this was very rare (I only saw it one day) and couldn't be counted on for keeping your coffee full.

Note 2 - I went down to the java bar one day to see if I could get a 20 ounce coffee to walk around with but from what I could see their menu only listed pay for coffees like espresso and cappuccino. There was a line so I never asked the staff if they had regular (free) coffee there.

Thanks for the tip! I hope you had a wonderful cruise :).

We learned years (& several cruises) ago to pack travel mugs with us. We are both coffee fanatics and need a lot more in the AM than a "tiny" cupful.

Thanks for pointing out this tip for other cruisers. :)

Hopefully, you enjoyed your cruise and the beautiful island of Bermuda.;)

Edited by CRUZIN'NANA

Last cruise I forgot my coffee travel mug which I use for my morning coffee. So the Java cafe gave me a couple of their coffee containers/cups with insulated sleeves and lids. They worked pretty good as a substitute.

You could have bought a souvenir large mug in the onboard shops.

On glacier day, I splurged and bought the $6 cocoa out on the deck. Very unlike me, but it came in a 16-oz. souvenir plastic insulated mug with a screw-on lid which was handy for the rest of the cruise. It's one of those with a rolled-up paper picture inside the clear plastic, so don't know how long it will last, but it's a cool souvenir for now. Hot cocoa NEVER tasted as good as it did out on the deck that day! Plus it really did stay hot for quite a while.

Janice

Thanks for the tip...my wife thanks you more, she is the coffee drinker in the family and it sounds like you two drink the same amount of coffee!

I am pretty sure they had a travel mug available in the ship store (excellent souvenir for java addict). If that did not suffice, then the next alternative is getting 2 cups at a time. #firstworldproblems #freecoffee

also, I am pretty sure they have fresh brewed coffee at the cafe, you just need patience to wait and ask. :D

Edited by lnuzzo

They do have brewed coffee at the Java Cafe, but it is not free. All drinks there are extra. The coffee cost me $2 and change in May.

You could have bought a souvenir large mug in the onboard shops.

Its just cheaper to bring your own. :) The souvenirs insulated mugs onboard are 16oz for like $24.99 while Bed Bath & Beyond's 16-24oz for $10. (Winded up buying one from that store with a handle - the NCL's ones don't have that.:()

I always bring a coffee mug from the dollar store. So if I loose it, no big deal.

I also bring a large plastic glass with top and straw for water/ice tea/juice from buffet (also from dollar store). The cold drink glasses at the buffet are small too. This way I can take it anywhere on the boat too.

I would definitely recommend the cheap grocery store/dollar store type mugs. They're bulking and take up a lot of space in your luggage in case you need to leave them behind. Or, if you're like me and accidentally leave behind a Tervis and and a Yeti mug on the ship - you're only out a few dollars!

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking for an insulated tumbler (30oz) take a look at Yeti. I bought one about 3 months ago and love it. It will keep ice for 2 days.........and it doesn't sweat

Now......if NCL would only install places to fill your water bottle or large mug (like Planet Fitness does hint hint) that would be great

Edited by Laszlo

Its just cheaper to bring your own. :) The souvenirs insulated mugs onboard are 16oz for like $24.99 while Bed Bath & Beyond's 16-24oz for $10. (Winded up buying one from that store with a handle - the NCL's ones don't have that.:()

The one I bought was $12.95 and has a handle. From gift shop.

You could have gone up the steps from the Java Café to the Blue Lagoon. They have a self-service coffee station in there, very much like the buffet. You can also grab a croissant or a Danish to go.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite drink in the evening is a Hot Chocolate. The cups in the buffet are small enough that one sachet of Hot Chocolate does two cups. Must find a bigger cup to take with me!! Will pack it with socks/underwear (clean of course) for the pre & post cruise travel.

Mike