Family of 4 looking to Cruise for Christmas!

cruisesendocats

Hi, Everyone!

We're a family of 4- my parents (age 84 and 67) and me and my boyfriend (25 and 27) looking to take cruise for Christmas. We're doing a "Christmas with the Kranks" thing where we take all the money we would have spent for Christmas and taking a cruise instead! My parents are regular cruisers aboard Oceania, and have also traveled on Cunard, Regent Seven Seas, and Paul Gaughin. We have all travelled on NCL (Breakaway and Epic), but hated the food and felt very "nickel and dimed" the whole time. Price-wise, my boyfriend and I can afford about $1500 each, so we are looking at week-long cruises on the cheaper side.

This has led us to Princess cruises, which none of us know much about, but are definitely interested! We are specifically looking at the 7-Day Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Regal Princess.

Knowing this background, and especially taking into account that my parents are older, albeit active, adults, do you think Princess would be a good cruise line for us?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Yes. I'm older and active as are many of my cruising friends. You can be as active or sedentary as you want. On Princess, the vibe is relaxed and laid back but there are still lots of physical activities. No flowriders, climbing walls, etc. but lots of exercise classes, dance classes, and other activities.

From the other cruises your parents have taken it seems money would not be a problem for them.

Possibly book your parents in a Full Suite so they could have the perks that go along with it. You and your BF could book an inside cabin if need be.

Princess is a very nice cruise line and which should work out well for all four of you. :)

From the other cruises your parents have taken it seems money would not be a problem for them.

Possibly book your parents in a Full Suite so they could have the perks that go along with it. You and your BF could book an inside cabin if need be.

Princess is a very nice cruise line and which should work out well for all four of you. :)

Suite is a good idea. Maybe with the extra perks, they won't feel they have downsized. Get an inside for you close to their suite. I think it sounds like all kind of fun!

Planning a cruise to celebrate Christmas with your BF and DM and DF seems good to me!

My DH and I took a preChristmas cruise two years ago on Princess to the Caribbean from Ft.Lauderdale.

I think it was on the Crown.

Anyway, the public areas were decorated very nicely for the season.

If you are interested,a young lady named Victoria who posts travel reviews under the name Little Miss Magic has taken many Christmas cruises with her family.

One of their cruises was on the Royal or Regal.

I am not certain of the particular ship.

She takes beautiful photos that are included in her reviews.

You may get some insights and good information from her reviews.

You may want to check out her reviews.

She may still be on the Princess forum.

Or ,you could Google her posting name to find the reviews.

Whatever you plan,I wish you happy holidays and happy cruising!

This may not be the answer you want, but I am trying to be as accurate as I can be. If you sail over Christmas you will pay the highest fares and will encounter a ship crowded with children. Ask your parents if they really want this experience. I know I would not and I am in their age group. Including airfare or travel from PA to Fla. I don't think you can really pull off the holiday cruise for $1,500/pp. The lowest fare + port charges + the hotel charge ($11.50pp/day) is right around $1250. That does not leave enough for travel to/from Fla plus on board expenses.

Fares in Jan. are over $200pp lower and in early Dec are about $125pp lower.

Princess provides an active cruise experience.

Our last three cruises have been holiday ones to Hawaii that included Christmas and New Years.

For us, it was great as we weren't dealing with all the crowds and ill tempers that people tend to have to deal with.

The ships are decorated, usually formal night is switched to Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and everyone seems to be in a festive mood.

Last four years we have sailed over either Christmas or New Years with our kids, now age 18 and 22. Twice on NCL, once Princess,once Celebrity. As a couple have sailed Seabourn and Silversea which are fairly high end. Of the mass market lines liked Princess the best and repeating Princess again this year. What's important is that we get to spend lots of fun and relaxing time with our children without the holiday stress and we don't mind if it is not SB or SS level. Go for it, you will be glad you spent that time together! FYI we don't like being inundated by lots of kids but always find quiet areas to enjoy.

Hi, Everyone!

We're a family of 4- my parents (age 84 and 67) and me and my boyfriend (25 and 27) looking to take cruise for Christmas. We're doing a "Christmas with the Kranks" thing where we take all the money we would have spent for Christmas and taking a cruise instead! My parents are regular cruisers aboard Oceania, and have also traveled on Cunard, Regent Seven Seas, and Paul Gaughin. We have all travelled on NCL (Breakaway and Epic), but hated the food and felt very "nickel and dimed" the whole time. Price-wise, my boyfriend and I can afford about $1500 each, so we are looking at week-long cruises on the cheaper side.

This has led us to Princess cruises, which none of us know much about, but are definitely interested! We are specifically looking at the 7-Day Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Regal Princess.

Knowing this background, and especially taking into account that my parents are older, albeit active, adults, do you think Princess would be a good cruise line for us?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

You'll be more than satisfied on the Regal, I think you found the right spot!

Hum.. by the looks of the cruises that your parents have done in the past- they tend to like the smaller, more intimate ships. I am booked on Regal to do a Transatlantic next spring (so obviously I like Princess), but I am 50 and enjoy big ships and all they offer. I love to walk and don't mind taking the stairs. An 87 year old many find Princess to be too big and require more walking and standing at the buffets etc. I don't know how the 87 year old is physically. Christmas cruises, especially a 7-night will be filled with children. This will mean it is very crowded by the pool and other areas. It will be at max. capacity. If the family is open to it- you may want to go the week after Christmas- first week of January, since you will save considerable money and have less passengers.

DH and I can really only cruise at Christmas since we both work in schools... Our only common time off is Christmas. We do NOT have kids. I'm a teacher, DH is a custodian. Yes... by December we are TIRED of children... HOWEVER... we have been on 12 cruises over Christmas/New years. Have kid bothered us? Sometimes... Princess does an excellent job of keeping kids busy AND out of our view...... for the most part. Do we see kids- yes. Some kids are great... some aren't- JUST like adults! I AM sensitive to kids... I teach high school kids..... I have a harder time with the 8-13 year olds the most... have they driven me crazy? On occasion- BUT I'll be honest- it wasn't on Princess that the kids were bad BUT Holland America- they didn't have enough for kids to do. Princess does a good job keeping kids busy.

I think Regal will have something for ALL to enjoy. I do know that flights are $$$$ over Christmas. Generally our flights cost as much as the cruise... Of course living in the Cold and in the middle of nowhere (MN) ;) we try to book early.

If mom & dad like high end- yup a suite- DH and I almost always go for an inside... got lucky with a balcony for NYE's cruise. IF they have a suite with a balcony you guys can always hang out there for quiet time.

GO!!!! Don't worry about kids. IF you can afford the cruise GO FOR IT! Being together at Christmas will be fun and NOBODY has to worry about cooking OR cleaning up the mess..... BEST way we have spent Christmas has been on cruises. Hope that helps!

Gabrielle