customs post cruise - Vancouver to Phoenix to Phila

JPH814

I will be leaving a southbound cruise in Vancouver. We will be flying from Vancouver to Philadelphia with a change in Phoenix.

I am assuming we will have to clear US customs in Phoenix, correct?

I have a 55 minute connection in Phoenix - our flight is scheduled to land at 11:15 AM and the flight to Philly leaves Phoenix at 12:10PM. What are my chances we will make our flight to Philly?

We just did this after our cruise 2 weeks ago. You clear customs in Vancouver. We went Vancouver/Dallas/Austin and thought we would have to clear in Dallas but no, they have it set up in Vancouver where you go thru US Customs there.

We had a 50 minute layover in Dallas and made our flight just fine since we did US Customs in Vancouver. So my opinion is you'll be good in Phoenix.

On another note if you are looking for transfers to Vancouver Airport from the port, there were plenty of taxi's, limo's etc. People "scared" me with you have to have your transportation ahead of time etc. which turned out to be not true.

Hope I've helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.

In Phoenix 55 mins if not changing airlines should be ok...if you are changing airlines then you may be pushing the envelope a bit, I would check with your carrier. I hope that you are not going to try to make the Phoenix flight from YVR the morning you disembark because your not going to make it. However, I do agree with everyone re CBP, you will do that at YVR before your flight....at Canada Place upon disembarkation you will clear Canadian CBSA.

thank you one and all.

We decided to change to the later connecting flight in phoenix. 3 hour layover instead of 55 min. (My wife and I are both retired, so why rush!) No charge since it was a result of a schedule change earlier that made the window less than an hour.

As for transportation in Vancouver, we have that covered. We have a guide meeting us sunday morning when we get off the ship, taking all of us (9 people) on a tour of Vancouver and then dropping us at a hotel at 5 PM. We all leave on various flights Monday morning.

Edited by JPH814

We decided to change to the later connecting flight in phoenix. 3 hour layover instead of 55 min...

Sounds good, I would have done the same.

Re: the morning of your flight in Vancouver, do give yourselves some time. The airline check-in line, security lines, and the U.S. pre-clearance lines can sometimes be long. We are comfortable with a 3 hour window prior to a flight to the U.S. out of YVR but others may tell you 2 hours before is enough time. There have been times when we have had lots of time to spare, and times when we squeaked through by the skin of our teeth.

Additionally, as you may have gathered, when you pre-clear U.S. Customs and Immigration here in Vancouver your flight to Phoenix is considered "domestic". You will arrive at a domestic terminal in Phoenix and it really is wonderful.

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise. :)