I promise - this is my very last tipping question...

Imalismom

So, DH was going through all my envelopes I have made with cash in each one for each thing I know I need money for (yes, we could put it all on a charge card and just paid it when we get home, but for me, this makes me "feel" like the vacation is all paid for now).

He was okay with each one EXCEPT one - the tip for the cab driver. You know - the one that takes you from the airport to the hotel, the hotel to the ship and the ship to the airport. I have an envelope for the tips for each one of those. We are using the same guy and also using him for a tour before the cruise. We have paid upfront for three of the trips already (airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport).

So, my DH tells me that in all his 66 years of life he has NEVER tipped a cab driver... WHAT?!?!?!??! We have a daughter who just graduated from college, and I am just now finding this out???

I tell him I always tip my cab driver... Plus I tell him I think he is the only person on this earth that does not... he tells me I am probably the only person on earth that does....

He asked me why I tip, I told him because I was taught that you tip the cab driver. He then tells me I was taught wrong.

So, not that I am ever going to show this to post to my DH - but please - tell me - do you or do you not tip your cab driver and if you do, how much? I usually tip $5 to $10 each time.

Edited by Imalismom

So, DH was going through all my envelopes I have made with cash in each one for each thing I know I need money for (yes, we could put it all on a charge card and just paid it when we get home, but for me, this makes me "feel" like the vacation is all paid for now).

He was okay with each one EXCEPT one - the tip for the cab driver. You know - the one that takes you from the airport to the hotel, the hotel to the ship and the ship to the airport. I have an envelope for the tips for each one of those. We are using the same guy and also using him for a tour before the cruise. We have paid upfront for three of the trips already (airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport).

So, my DH tells me that in all his 66 years of life he has NEVER tipped a cab driver... WHAT?!?!?!??! We have a daughter who just graduated form college, and I am just now finding this out???

I tell him I always tip my cab driver... Plus I tell him I think he is the only person on this earth that does not... he tells me I am probably the only person on earth that does....

He asked me why I tip, I told him because I was taught that you tip the cab driver. He then tells me I was taught wrong.

So, not that I am ever going to show this to post to my DH - but please - tell me - do you or do you not tip your cab driver and if you do, how much? I usually tip $5 to $10 each time.

In the U.S. Yes.

Just pax $5

Each suitcase $1 :)

Uber, however... grats included in price. :)

Absolutely.

Also tip maid in hotel room.

Just tipped last weekend $1 to the lady servicing the complimentary full breakfast in the hotel. My attorney brother was surprised I did that. But he followed my lead.

Like I posted elsewhere, much prefer tipping for good service than not tipping for poor service!

Cab driver gets me from point A to point b in one piece he gets a tip.

Taxi's are the one thing that I always tip, wherever I am in the world.

Here in Europe, tips aren't expected for many things, but it just doesn't feel right getting out of a taxi without leaving a tip.

I had always assumed that not tipping a cabbie in the US could result in some fairly unpleasant scenes.

We are using the same guy and also using him for a tour before the cruise. We have paid upfront for three of the trips already (airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport).

Wait ! What is this ?? You all ready paid for 3 ride's .

I have never paid Upfront for a cab ride !!:confused:

This don't sound right at all .:eek:

I tip the cab driver 15% of the fare. If there are a number of you, with lots of luggage, I would make it 20% of the fare.

In some cities and foreign countries help with luggage is added to the official fare.

Still, I tip taxi drivers, unless I perceive that he took us on the long route to jack up the fare (this definitely happened to us in Venice).

I try to research tipping policies in advance and in some countries no tip is expected, or just leaving the small coins is ok. In the USA 10-15% is normal.

. . .

We are using the same guy and also using him for a tour before the cruise. We have paid upfront for three of the trips already (airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport).

. . .

So what you are telling us is that you are not using a cab but instead have arranged a driver. Tipping a driver is a different proposition than tipping a cab driver. You will get an entirely different type of service and will be paying a lot more.

With a driver you should tip a minimum of $20 for each of the three trips and probably more for the initial airport pickup because you will likely be greeted as you leave the secure area and will be assisted with your luggage.

So what you are telling us is that you are not using a cab but instead have arranged a driver. Tipping a driver is a different proposition than tipping a cab driver. You will get an entirely different type of service and will be paying a lot more.

With a driver you should tip a minimum of $20 for each of the three trips and probably more for the initial airport pickup because you will likely be greeted as you leave the secure area and will be assisted with your luggage.

Thanks - he is actually a cab service - he is just expanding into tours also. He will not be at the luggage at all - we have to go find him where the cabs are at once we have our luggage.

Edited by Imalismom

Wait ! What is this ?? You all ready paid for 3 ride's .

I have never paid Upfront for a cab ride !!:confused:

This don't sound right at all .:eek:

He just wanted a deposit I guess since we were using him so much - I just sent him the full amount (instead of the small deposit he asked for). It was one less thing I had to worry about paying for while in Hawaii.

Always tip a cab driver. Don't know how you missed that after 18-20 years of marriage............ Did he grow up in the country?

No, he is a city guy... We rarely use a cab but we have a couple of times - I just really don't know how I missed it - I guess I just always assumed he was giving the person a tip when he gave them whatever money he gave them.

I can actually say that this is really the very first real vacation we have ever taken together - usually I just tag along when he is on a business trip using miles to fly - so the only cost we really have is my food costs, which may be another reason why I missed this important conversation.

We "are" going to tip, he is not happy about it, but at least for this one point, he is letting me lead the way.

My thanks to everyone for confirming I am NOT crazy!....

No, he is a city guy... We rarely use a cab but we have a couple of times - I just really don't know how I missed it - I guess I just always assumed he was giving the person a tip when he gave them whatever money he gave them.

I can actually say that this is really the very first real vacation we have ever taken together - usually I just tag along when he is on a business trip using miles to fly - so the only cost we really have is my food costs, which may be another reason why I missed this important conversation.

That's almost even stranger to me because every place that I've worked reimbursed for the taxi tips as well as for the fare.

So, my DH tells me that in all his 66 years of life he has NEVER tipped a cab driver... WHAT?!?!?!??! We have a daughter who just graduated from college, and I am just now finding this out???

We always tip at least 10% of the fare, but never less than $2 on short trips, and often $5 depending on driver. We tip extra for help with luggage. My husband is 84 from rural area and when in a city using a taxi has always tipped in US. We round up to next Euro in Europe.

Edited by NMLady

We always tip - 15 to 20 percent of the fare for a cab, the same or more for a personal driver (limo, shuttle, etc). I also tip tour guides, maids, restaraunt servers, etc. It's the way I was raised, and I am raising my sons to do the same. :)

The first time I took a cab I did not tip the driver. That was 50 years ago when I was a kid and did not know I was supposed to give a tip. I still feel guilty about it. ALWAYS tip the taxi driver (at least in the U.S.). It is part of their salary.