Virus Warning ????

Harley0711

Latebloomer

Right now iam on my ipad, no issue here yet?

On my laptop, got the LOUD warning, i shut everything down, i did not go any further or click on anything in that warning - i did not write the phone number down or i would google it. So far NO issues with my laptop. Not sue what it was

Any issues with you? How did you get to CC

I keep the sound off on my laptop so I don't know about the LOUD part, but I have gotten the warning several times over the last few days. Basically my browser refuses to take me to the CC site, and gives me a warning page. I go back, click my CC link again, and no problem- on the site. It is inconsistent, and if there were a real problem my antivirus would consistently keep me out of a site. Weird.....

I have also received this message - on CC as well as on a few other sights. Did not click on anything but shut down computer and restarted - no problems. While at work this morning, I decided to call the number to see what it was all about as I believe it is some sort of scam. When I asked the gentleman who answered the phone what was going on and he asked me what error I received - when I pressed him for more info, he hung up.

Sounds like another scam that is out there.

Especially if you're on a PC (and not on a Mac or an iDevice), my guess is that the problem is that Cruise Critic is serving an ad with an intrusive script. It would be something that an unscrupulous advertiser (i.e. "hacker") would do and just be an oversight on Cruise Critic's part.

I've had the message twice as well. Both times I shut down my computer, ran a virus scan which came up negative, and deleted all my cookies. No problems with the computer as far as I can tell. If you google the telephone number that they want you to call there are lots of messages about various scams.

I actually got a virus from one of the CC email updates that totally trashed my computer. Yes, old computer but virus scan/coverage in place. Took myself off the email updates and haven't had a problem since. Have notice that CC doesn't run well on Internet Explorer.............just my experience. But, take note on their emails...........................

Same here. On the second day my virus protection program opened and said the site had been reported as suspicious. On the first day my IE was locked and I had to close it down from Task Manager.

I am using the site from my iPhone app now which works fine. Is there some place to notify CC of the problem. I will not use it on my PC until I hear it is resolved.

Same problem for the past three days -- twice on my PC (the loud one) which I had to reboot.

Once just a few minutes ago on my laptop. This was a big red silent warning. I was able to click out of it.

Every time AFTER the problems a little green box opens at the bottom of the screen tells me my protection is enabled.

No problems elsewhere. I've been following the market and checking on various stocks on several sites and my computers are working normally.

No Clue! :confused:

LuLu

I also get the message every few times I've visited CC lately but I always bring it up via the direct "boards.cruisecritic.com" link. Since it doesn't happen every time I visit, I agree with the previous poster's theory that it's linked to a specific ad so if you don't randomly get that ad when you visit, then you won't get the message.

This is only one of the latest ways hackers try to trick you. Far as I can tell, as long as you don't call the number and/or share your personal info and use task manager to force ending of your browser, your computer should be fine. The whole point of the message is to lock up your browser in this never ending loop of error messages and fake virus warnings to make you panic and call. Once you force your way out of that loop all is fine, given that you don't get the same random ad again.

CC's Facebook page doesn't have a post on their wall option but I tagged them in my own post so hopefully they are aware and working on it.

Mine has said they blocked a malicious attack by an ad.

(three time I got this), but I did not clock on an ad. I clicked on forums.

IDK what it is, but it is annoying, because I have to log out and run Norton.

Patti

I use Norton antivirus and I have gotten messages 3 times in the past two days. Each time I had just clicked to open the CC Royal Princess Roll Call board. I don’t remember the exact message but it said that Norton had blocked an attack by …”. if this happens again I will record the message and post it here.

Edited by TwoCruisers

I also get the message every few times I've visited CC lately but I always bring it up via the direct "boards.cruisecritic.com" link. Since it doesn't happen every time I visit, I agree with the previous poster's theory that it's linked to a specific ad so if you don't randomly get that ad when you visit, then you won't get the message.

Far as I can tell, as long as you don't call the number and/or share your personal info and use task manager to force ending of your browser, your computer should be fine. The whole point of the message is to lock up your browser in this never ending loop of error messages and fake virus warnings to make you panic and call. Once you force your way out of that loop all is fine, given that you don't get the same random ad again.

Have had this same obnoxious warning pop-up (using a PC and Chrome) and agree completely with each of these assessments of what is happening. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't start clicking here, there and everywhere. Closing the browser should fix it, and even just closing that tab in the browser should be good enough.

The webmaster(s) and site admins for CruiseCritic should be EXTREMELY vigilant about these types of ads. It doesn't take much to scare away or drive away visitors, and stuff like this will do it all day long. That's lost click revenue and eyeballs-on-ads revenue.