175 anniversary crossing

balf

Boarding in Liverpool was as we expected, exciting and so different, and just the thought of embarking from, as Cunard put it, the spirital home of Cunard on this anniversary made it very special.

And then to the concert in the cathedral which started with glorious music from the organ and then a cavalcade of vignettes from many speakers with Cunard connections. Captain Oprey and Captain Ian McNaught, Hugh Paton gt. gt. gt. grandson of Thomas Cunard. And dear old John (Lord) Precott who was, in another life, a steward on Cunard ships.The highlight for me being Margaret Thatchers daughter Carol followed by Simon Weston who was burned and badly disfigured in the Falklans war, followed by the Welch Guards band playing and slow marching to "I am sailing".

Then, what I didn't expect, "Rule Britannia" and "Land of Hope and Glory" along with enthusiastic waving plastic Union Jacks". Very "Last night of the Proms". We spoke later to a German couple who had boarded in Hamberg and asked if they enjoyed the concert, and they said they enjoyed the music greatly but, as Germans they thought it was very British. I think they were overwhelmed somewhat. Nationality is a peculiar thing at times - all the Americans seemed just as enthusiastic as the Brits, but it was easy enough to sympathise.

And so we settle in to the flow of a crossing, so different from any other journey. And really the ship doesn't look too bad to me, though showing some signs of wear in places. Carpets certainly need replacement in places and the trick seats in Illuminations are still to be avoided.

We have had a fine talk from Commodore Warwick, first master of this ship and the first three by Stephen Payne. And the Anniversary gift? A very lavish, quality book "The story of Cunards 175 years". A very heavy tome which could cause problems to any passengers flying home. One of our table companions who lives in Liverpool took it back home after boarding and was back on board in 90 minutes!,

David.

Sounds brilliant, sooo! wish I could have been there as I have many friends on this crossing. Thank you for updating us on the events. Enjoy the rest of the crossing you are about half way now according to the web cams. :)