Price increase?

I just looked at the same cruise (I went last year on Aug. 24) on Freedom of the Seas. This year same cruise costs $500 more than last year. I go alone. Is this how the prices are now? Have they increased that much since last year? I really want to get back out at sea, but is $1300+ too much for a single?

Similar to the airlines, prices go up and down all the time. One of my cruises has had price fluctuations from a low of $600 to a high of $1083 from May 2nd through July 8th.

The best time to book cruises is very early if at all possible. It tends to be the cheapest rate. If a lower rate comes along, you can switch to whatever the then special is as long as you're before your final payment date.

So what I'm hearing from CC members is that the $500 increase from last year ($850-$1350 today) for one person is correct and I should be happy with this new price? Don't know whether to book or find something else to do that is a bit cheaper - or go on a cruise when I find a better price?

So what I'm hearing from CC members is that the $500 increase from last year ($850-$1350 today) for one person is correct and I should be happy with this new price? Don't know whether to book or find something else to do that is a bit cheaper - or go on a cruise when I find a better price?

Only went up $500.00? That is quite a bargain.

As I noted earlier, prices can and do FREQUENTLY change both up and down.

If you don't mind tieing up a little cash, my suggestion would be to put a deposit down and lock in a rate. You can watch for any price drops, etc and take advantage of them. You have until about 60-75 days before your cruise (depending on the length) to cancel and get a full refund if you just don't like the price.

For the cruise I mentioned earlier, in the last 2 months there have been over 7 price changes. So you don't necessarily have to "accept" that the cruise is 500 more expensive. It could end up 300 cheaper or it could end up 2000 more expensive depending on when you actually book. Prices are based on supply and demand. If a ship is selling faster than it traditionally does, the price goes up. If it's slower than normal, the cost goes down.

Full details on cancelation can be found at:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323

Edited by RadioRob

Good luck! Also... if you can be flexible with your travel dates... look at the same ship but at different sail dates.

For example I just pulled up Freedom of the Seas and looked at it's 7 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary... the April 3, 2016 sailing starts at $689/pp but April 17th is only $534.

That's a difference of $155 for the same exact room category but on a different day. When you look at that as a single, that's $310 difference!

So be sure to look at different dates too if at all possible. :)

I think $500 is a big increase (and I would probably think that even if $500 was the increase for DH and me combined:eek:) so I do get your sticker shock with the comparison. BUT I think that $850 you paid last year is a fantastically GREAT price for a single for a 7 night cruise on Freedom! I wonder if you got a special deal last year and that's what might be making this year's price look so bad??? Or maybe there was a more favorable single supplement last year?

Nobody can really advise you as to what you should do (and if we do advise you, you should probably ignore us :p) as we don't know your whole situation or budget. I will tell you that DH and I have paid in the neighborhood of $1350 apiece for a balcony on a couple of 7 night cruises. It was worth it to us at the time for a particular ship/itinerary, our schedule was not flexible, and we had the money. We've also paid that for a junior suite, and once for a grand suite at times when we had more flexibility. (And, we've also paid less than $1350 for the TWO of us at times when we stumbled onto a deal or a sale.) Timing matters.

If you can be flexible with your timing, you might find better prices on a different date. Good luck - hope you can find a price you like and get back to sea!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

The thing about looking at other cruise lines is I'm going on my own, and I'm a Diamond Plus, which makes things easier (boarding, etc.) I've been on the Freedom about ten times, so it's a matter of comfort and feeling more at home. I've gotten to know a few of the workers on the Freedom and it's always nice to see a familiar face. I cruised the Freedom back to back in March after my best friend died - I'll have to look back and see what I paid for those weeks. It's a lot to consider. Airfares are so high that going somewhere else for a long weekend with hubby would probably cost MORE than a one week cruise on my own. We do have two trips planned already for Oct. weekends, but I'm just getting bored right now. I normally get out for a change of scenery every few months - now it's been since March, so I'm getting kinda anxious to get away again. ;)

I cruise solo frequently as well and I'd be happy if I found a cruise for $1,300 but yes that jump from $850 is a bit insane. My best solo deal was an inside cabin on the Jewel for about $900. I always book early knowing that prices will jump up. Good luck, hope it works out for you!!

Why don't you try booking further out, like way out, as in next August? Price may be a lot lower. You will still get your cruise on Freedom and in between you can try out another line that has a better price and see how you like it. If you really like it you will know you now have other options, if you don't then you will just need to start booking much further in advance. At least RCCL has full refunds if you cancel before final payment, so if you have the spare money up front you can reserve a few and then cancel later if you want.

Last month we booked a cruise for the 4 of us. If I was to book the same cruise today it is nearly $4000 more :eek: I can't believe how prices can change so much for a cruise that doesn't leave until September 2016! Needless to say I am very happy with the price we are paying. :D

All pricing is driven by Supply vs. Demand.

When booking as Solo, I set an overall budget that's in my comfort zone as well as being flexible with cruise dates and itineraries. I try to search daily and when a cruise fits with my parameters I book it and continue to watch pricing in the event any of any pricing reductions. Also often book a year plus in advance.

I feel your pain on the pricing. I am from Canada and I get the joy of paying another 26% on top of that. We went with NCL for our Feb cruise as they are only charging 10% exchange on the dollar. With the dollar exchange rate we have to look for the best bargain for us. I do like Royal but I like my money more.

We have cruised Freedom for the same week for the last few years. Two years ago, I vowed that I was waiting until after final payment, as the prices dropped a lot.

Last year, I booked after final (two connecting balconies). Price was good, I thought. Then, 3 weeks later, they dropped like a stone. My cabins were now going for $250/pp less. I ended up paying $100 more /pp and getting connecting JS cabins. I felt that the price for that cabin was very good.

This year, I decided that we were going to wait even longer. Had air booked for months, knew we'd get on the ship. Well, older son invites his GF and 2 other best friends to come with us. Have to book a triple and 2 doubles so that the kids are with/next to me. So I book in March. Prices higher than I want, but we caught a drop and with my diamond discount and mom's d+, the price for the doubles is around $785/pp before tax.

Now I'm watching the cabins and prices and frankly, there are very few balconies available, and there is no way I'd have gotten the configuration I need, let alone connecting balconies. And the price is way higher than we paid last year, even higher than the pricing before final payment.

Turns out that this situation actually benefitted us; otherwise, I'm not sure what I would have done. The final price last year for the original cabin we booked ended up, before the balcony discount, at about $750/pp. This year, it's around $1300 or so.

Edited by njmomof2

We have cruised Freedom for the same week for the last few years. Two years ago, I vowed that I was waiting until after final payment, as the prices dropped a lot.

Last year, I booked after final (two connecting balconies). Price was good, I thought. Then, 3 weeks later, they dropped like a stone. My cabins were now going for $250/pp less. I ended up paying $100 more /pp and getting connecting JS cabins. I felt that the price for that cabin was very good.

This year, I decided that we were going to wait even longer. Had air booked for months, knew we'd get on the ship. Well, older son invites his GF and 2 other best friends to come with us. Have to book a triple and 2 doubles so that the kids are with/next to me. So I book in March. Prices higher than I want, but we caught a drop and with my diamond discount and mom's d+, the price for the doubles is around $785/pp before tax.

Now I'm watching the cabins and prices and frankly, there are very few balconies available, and there is no way I'd have gotten the configuration I need, let alone connecting balconies. And the price is way higher than we paid last year, even higher than the pricing before final payment.

Turns out that this situation actually benefitted us; otherwise, I'm not sure what I would have done. The final price last year for the original cabin we booked ended up, before the balcony discount, at about $750/pp. This year, it's around $1300 or so.

If history repeats itself, I would expect that cruise to be on the going, going, gone sale that is released later today. Last week's sale had the sailing prior to yours on it.

We got a $999 JS two years ago when the prices plummeted and last year could have gotten one for just a little more but didn't book since we had a cruise already booked for a few weeks later. Prices are definitely trending higher this year though.

If you are willing to change cruise lines (and I understand that you may not want to consider it because of your status), you might want to consider trying a solo cabin on NCL's Getaway. It's currently their newest ship so there is a lot to do on board. Most reviews of the solo cabins on NCL's ships are positive. It also includes a solo lounge and there is a solo coordinator that will organize group dinners if you'd like to participate. If you are solo sailing in a regular cabin, you can request access to the solo lounge.

Prices right now for the week you are looking at are about $1,000 for a solo cabin (this includes taxes and fees). You would also get to choose from the Ultimate Beverage Package, Wi-Fi credit, soda package, Ultimate Dining Package, Shore Excursion Credit or specialty dining credit (some of these have service charges).

Good luck finding the perfect time to book the cruise you'd like to take!

I am D+ with Royal Caribbean and also usually sail solo. Not only are Royal Caribbean's cabin prices going through the roof, but so are their drinks. I got quite a shock when I ordered a drink on my last cruise and it was $12 + tip.

I have one more cruise booked on Royal Caribbean for 2016 and then for 2017 I have a cruise booked with NCL. If Royal Caribbean can continue to charge the prices they are charging, then I am sure their stockholders will be happy. However, as a cruiser I'm looking elsewhere.

I just booked a TA for 2017. I thought it was a little high, but I wanted a certain cabin. I'll just keep a watch on it and see if I can get a little reduction.

If not, it's OK.

I also thought the JS price for the 2017 TA was high. It might be because it's the only one released so far. About $500pp higher than my April 2016 Brilliance JS. But we had to have the Aft Wraparound and to get one of those cabins you need to book day one. Hope to see price come down in the future.