How much extra do you spend on food on Royal Caribbean

How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)  

399 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)

I'll tell you this much, if RCI does a move like NCL and goes to a la carte in all restaurants you can switch my vote to a firm $0.00.

For us we have only taken in Izumi, which is a la carte. I have no problem with that, since when we go for Japanese food at home, it is priced very much the same way. Izumi was very reasonable priced for the wonderful dinner we did have.

What is the issue that you have with a la cart pricing?

For us we have only taken in Izumi, which is a la carte. I have no problem with that, since when we go for Japanese food at home, it is priced very much the same way. Izumi was very reasonable priced for the wonderful dinner we did have.

What is the issue that you have with a la cart pricing?

Izumi I am willing to put a little asterisk on because there is a wide selection of sushi and prices of fish can vary quite a bit. My wife might be in the mood for tuna, but I may want just shrimp, so I understand a la carte pricing in a sushi restaurant. You and I, as you know, live in the same basic region and yes there are a LOT of Japanese restaurants with reasonable prices, but it varies based on type of fish.

My issue with a la carte on a cruise versus price fixed is that with price fixed you know, and have budgeted, for a set cover charge and know that you can have a full course meal with appetizer, soup, salad, main dish, and dessert. In fact you can order multiple appetizers and try new things out. Price fixed tends to seem to factor in the costs you've also already paid for the MDR meal you are skipping over.

Now, to go to an a la carte menu, if you were to duplicate the same 5 course meal, it assuredly would cost much more, my best guess depending on your selections would be 20% - 70% more for a la carte versus price fixed. The only way to "save" money is by skipping most of the meal; or I could put it like this, if you spend the same amount a la carte as you would with a cover charge it is certain you will receive less food. You also aren't likely to try new things a la carte because if you choose poorly you can't just replace it.

So, as I've said on the NCL forum - Same food, same restaurant, same service, 20% - 70% more cost. Where did the value go? This changes the dynamic and feel of cruising, for me. That's my own personal opinion. I just know that I'll either spend the same and get less, or get the same and spend a lot more. And that's no bargain in my book. And if many others feel similarly and decide to stick to the MDR, then what? Long lines and slow service?

We have enjoyed some of the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed Giovanni's Table on the Allure a couple of times and then enjoyed Portofino's (alas - gone) several times on FOS. We didn't enjoy Chops - but only because we were spoiled by Portofino's.

I enjoy the Windjammer and MDR, but sometimes it's nice to be in a quiet restaurant. We also swear by the premium drink package. (We know, it's not for everyone.) But on vacation - we love to try new and interesting drinks, getting to know all the bartenders and letting them make us new and wonderful creations. If it's in your budget - I recommend giving it a try. If not - enjoy the MDR and Windjammer. What those occasionally lack in quality - they certainly make up in quantity. (And that's okay too! :))

We've been 3x losers at Chops. Thank goodness on DP BOGO, as that took some of the sting out of it.

We were unable to get a steak that was cooked properly. DH likes his rare or black and blue, and I like mine anywhere between nice and pink and burned beyond recognition. 3x we were both served steaks that were waved over the grill on the way to the table. DH likes his still mooing, and even he couldn't take it. Mine was still mooing and bleeding after being sent back twice. Not happy. Great mud pie, though.

We did the hot rock dinners at Izumi once. We were assured by the manager that the meal prices would be halved on the way in for our DP. Surprise! At the end of the meal, we were presented with a full bill and a half-hearted apology. We were still hungry, and headed to the Jammer for dessert. Not happy.

I have never considered Portofinos, since every item in the menu appears to be steeped in garlic, and have confirmed this with my Portofino and garlic-loving friends.

That being said, hubby always gets the soda package, and I love the Royal Replenish, so they do get that extra $.

Wendy

addition... for dinner, I see what the specialty cooks are doing in the Windjammer. The pick-your-own Oriental is my FAVORITE! DH teased me about my 'boyfriend' on a Jewel 14-nighter, because he would cook something up special for me every night. ;)

Edited by w&k
Windjammer thought

Glad to hear that we weren't the only ones to have a "not so great" experience at Chops. We had such high hopes - as we all love steaks. I won't say that it was BAD - but compared to Portofino's - there wasn't a comparison. Looking forward to trying Sabor and the new Giovanni's Table on the Freedom.

Izumi I am willing to put a little asterisk on because there is a wide selection of sushi and prices of fish can vary quite a bit. My wife might be in the mood for tuna, but I may want just shrimp, so I understand a la carte pricing in a sushi restaurant. You and I, as you know, live in the same basic region and yes there are a LOT of Japanese restaurants with reasonable prices, but it varies based on type of fish.

My issue with a la carte on a cruise versus price fixed is that with price fixed you know, and have budgeted, for a set cover charge and know that you can have a full course meal with appetizer, soup, salad, main dish, and dessert. In fact you can order multiple appetizers and try new things out. Price fixed tends to seem to factor in the costs you've also already paid for the MDR meal you are skipping over.

Now, to go to an a la carte menu, if you were to duplicate the same 5 course meal, it assuredly would cost much more, my best guess depending on your selections would be 20% - 70% more for a la carte versus price fixed. The only way to "save" money is by skipping most of the meal; or I could put it like this, if you spend the same amount a la carte as you would with a cover charge it is certain you will receive less food. You also aren't likely to try new things a la carte because if you choose poorly you can't just replace it.

So, as I've said on the NCL forum - Same food, same restaurant, same service, 20% - 70% more cost. Where did the value go? This changes the dynamic and feel of cruising, for me. That's my own personal opinion. I just know that I'll either spend the same and get less, or get the same and spend a lot more. And that's no bargain in my book. And if many others feel similarly and decide to stick to the MDR, then what? Long lines and slow service?

The part I highlighted in red, is why I see need to go to specialty restaurants where the type of food is offered in the MDR. We frequent Izumi, because Japanes food is not on any MDR menu on ships that have her. If someone wants to choose a more expense cut of steak in the MDR they have the ability to order it and pay the upcharge without a larger expense that would be incurred at the specialty restaurant, IMO.

I, nor my DH, have felt the need to pay an upcharge for a better cut of steak, but that is just us, I guess.

We have tried all the alternate restaurants at least once. We use our DP BOGO and sometimes JRs but otherwise we think the food in the MDR is just fine. We have lunch and breakfast in the MDR at least once each cruise and never go hungry. We even skip meals at times! if RCL moved to alacarte we would move on. We like our cruises to be as all inclusive as possible. We can get great food in our area so we don't need to pay extra on vacation. Honestly that's a big reason we cruise. A land vacation involves buying each meal. We usually stay where breakfast is included, skip lunch and have a moderate dinner. ( it takes time to research and figure out where to go so you don't pay for a bad meal.) On a cruise we just walk in, sit down and enjoy. It is nice to have a choice on a cruise for special occasions but we don't do it every night.

We've been 3x losers at Chops. Thank goodness on DP BOGO, as that took some of the sting out of it.

We were unable to get a steak that was cooked properly. DH likes his rare or black and blue, and I like mine anywhere between nice and pink and burned beyond recognition. 3x we were both served steaks that were waved over the grill on the way to the table. DH likes his still mooing, and even he couldn't take it. Mine was still mooing and bleeding after being sent back twice. Not happy. Great mud pie, though.

We did the hot rock dinners at Izumi once. We were assured by the manager that the meal prices would be halved on the way in for our DP. Surprise! At the end of the meal, we were presented with a full bill and a half-hearted apology. We were still hungry, and headed to the Jammer for dessert. Not happy.

I have never considered Portofinos, since every item in the menu appears to be steeped in garlic, and have confirmed this with my Portofino and garlic-loving friends.

That being said, hubby always gets the soda package, and I love the Royal Replenish, so they do get that extra $.

Wendy

addition... for dinner, I see what the specialty cooks are doing in the Windjammer. The pick-your-own Oriental is my FAVORITE! DH teased me about my 'boyfriend' on a Jewel 14-nighter, because he would cook something up special for me every night. ;)

What are you referring to when you say "DP BOGO" -- I have no idea what that is, so educate me please....I understand that BOGO, generally means 'buy one and get one'....but the DP -- ???? And what were you expecting to get for it?

Edited by Paulette3028

What are you referring to when you say "DP BOGO" -- I have no idea what that is, so educate me please....I understand that BOGO, generally means 'buy one and get one'....but the DP -- ???? And what were you expecting to get for it?

DP is Diamond Plus. DP and PC (Pinnacle Club) get coupons for BOGO specialty dining on the first and second nights.

DP is Diamond Plus. DP and PC (Pinnacle Club) get coupons for BOGO specialty dining on the first and second nights.

Thanks, I am accustomed to PC meaning Pinnacle Club (unless we are referring to Port Canaveral, and the difference would be clear in the connotation). I usually see D+ as the designation for Diamond Plus, so thank you for the additional abbreviation.

Royal must be making money from the specialty restaurants, but the NEED to encourage their most loyal cruisers to do it with BOGO coupons and then the constant clamor around the ship trying to have people have dinner in the specialty restaurants, makes it sound like a way too desperate play on Royals part. DH and I want to partake of the food we want without feeling like someone is waving a flag in front of us to make us salivate.

I wouldn't mind if specialty dining, went away all together.....but I know that isn't going to happen, either.

Glad to hear that we weren't the only ones to have a "not so great" experience at Chops. We had such high hopes - as we all love steaks. I won't say that it was BAD - but compared to Portofino's - there wasn't a comparison. Looking forward to trying Sabor and the new Giovanni's Table on the Freedom.

The last two experiences of Chops on Freedom was very much "not so great" for us and very underwhelming. Thats a shame too because in 2011 on Radiance it was superb. I do not like the new menu. The once WONDERFUL shrimp cocktail was frozen this last time and had a popsicle like texture. Nasty! I tried another one, same way. The baked potato was tiny and cooked to death and my steak was just "meh". Never again with Chops for us.

Giovannis was wonderful :) One of the best meals ever for me. Ask for Johnathan if he is onboard. Excellent waiter!

I'll tell you this much, if RCI does a move like NCL and goes to a la carte in all restaurants you can switch my vote to a firm $0.00.

Would you abstain, even if the a la carte pricing worked out about the same that you would have paid in the cover-charge system? Just curious.

Edit: Never mind. I see in one of your other responses that you're making an assumption that it will end up being "20 - 70%" more costly.

Edited by Paul65

Would you abstain, even if the a la carte pricing worked out about the same that you would have paid in the cover-charge system? Just curious.

Edit: Never mind. I see in one of your other responses that you're making an assumption that it will end up being "20 - 70%" more costly.

I happen to like MDR food. The delta to quality in specialty, to me, isn't really major. Once it goes past 25-30 per person, or so, the value proposition gets messed up because I'm already skipping a meal, and service, in the MDR that I've paid for.

I just don't see a la carte offering the same selections for the same price as a set cover charge. As of now the move to a la carte seems to strike me as a move to extract more money from people.

So I either pay the same but get less food.

Or I pay more to get the same food.

But in the unlikely event that it did work out that a la carte was not a price increase and food quality remained consistent and quantity consistent, I'd reconsider my stance.

I have spent zippo on specialty dinning. I just try to find something between MDR or WJ! I must say the prime rib on Vision was awesome in WJ and was just as good in the MDR. That was almost a year ago! Food in WJ on Liberty really was really bad! JMO!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk