Port or Starboard in Alaska

Looking to sail Explorer to Alaska next summer. Seattle, Inside Passage, Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria.

It will be our first Alaskan cruise. I have started scouring those boards.

Any opinions on Port vs. Starboard for this cruise?

THANKS!

Do you mean for a balcony cabin? We just did this itinerary and found we were actually out on deck, out of our cabin more often than in the cabin on the balcony. You can move from side to side, front and back, get better vantage points, etc.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Looking to sail Explorer to Alaska next summer. Seattle, Inside Passage, Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria.

It will be our first Alaskan cruise. I have started scouring those boards.

Any opinions on Port vs. Starboard for this cruise?

THANKS!

We were just in Tracy Arm last month, I don't think the side of the ship would've made much difference. What you don't see on the way in, you'll see on the way out. They rotate the ship when you're down by Sawyer Glacier, so you'll have ample time to see that since it's the main attraction.

Have sailed Radiance northbound twice now and had cabins on the port side. I would have thought scenery would not be as good as starboard but was very satisfied.

I also prefer port side as Radiance tended to port on her port side. I like seeing the action on the dock and watch for pier runners!

If you are doing a roundtrip it won't matter since on the way up you will be facing one way and then the other way on the way back.

If you are sailing northbound only, then you should be starboard side facing land (if that is what you are asking for). If you are sailing southbound only, then you would want to be port side.

Since it looks like you are starting in Seattle, and I believe Seattle is a RT sailing, I would say starboard side.

I will also add that if you are going to do the train in Skagway, then you MUST sit on the left side of the train (looking towards the front of the train). As you go up into the mountains that will be when they will do the most talking and all the scenery will be to the left side of the train. The right side of the train is against the mountain. We did that and then on the way back down when we were against the mountainside (we did a RT and they do a big loop before heading back down the mountain) that was when I went outside onto the little balcony at the back of the train car to take my outside pictures. A great shore excursion and 4 thumbs up for it (2 from mom and 2 from me!). :D

Have a lovely trip!

I agree with Teeara. We were on the Starboard side and it was great.

The train in Slagway was great and yes you are best on the left side of the train although we did trade sides for our trip back.

We also did the land portion and that was also great. Have fun planning.

If you are doing a roundtrip it won't matter since on the way up you will be facing one way and then the other way on the way back.

If you are sailing northbound only, then you should be starboard side facing land (if that is what you are asking for). If you are sailing southbound only, then you would want to be port side.

Since it looks like you are starting in Seattle, and I believe Seattle is a RT sailing, I would say starboard side.

I will also add that if you are going to do the train in Skagway, then you MUST sit on the left side of the train (looking towards the front of the train). As you go up into the mountains that will be when they will do the most talking and all the scenery will be to the left side of the train. The right side of the train is against the mountain. We did that and then on the way back down when we were against the mountainside (we did a RT and they do a big loop before heading back down the mountain) that was when I went outside onto the little balcony at the back of the train car to take my outside pictures. A great shore excursion and 4 thumbs up for it (2 from mom and 2 from me!). :D

Have a lovely trip!

• 1 month later...

More importantly, you do not make a port stop in Ketchikan which I would not want to miss on any Alaska cruise.

For this reason you should look carefully at all of your options - especially if this is likely to be your only trip.