New Brochures are out.

InTheWASide

I realized right after I posted this picture of the brochures I got in the mail that they are also up on the HAL website. This must have happened within the last 48 hours as I had just checked for them

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/EBrochures.action?WT.ac=pnav_Dest_Link_Ebrochures

Yes I'm fully aware many people don't like these as they can't thumb through the pages and fold corners over, etc :rolleyes: but you know what... it's better than not being able to see them at all in the interim. :D

Edited by InTheWASide

Thanks for that. They must have been printed some time ago, as our cruise next spring still has the old itinerary - and it was changed more than a month ago.

Oh really? Which sailing is that and what was the change?

Oh really? Which sailing is that and what was the change?

Actually, I just checked our roll call, and the emails started going out May 12. You'd think they could have done a bit of editing in all that time! We are on the Westerdam in April going to Hawaii and French Polynesia, and originally we were going to Victoria before Vancouver, and we had planned to disembark there, now the ship is going to Vancouver, then Victoria and Seattle. I am keeping my eye on the cruise, because, although we got some good OBC, I'm thinking that if we were booked all the way through to Seattle, we could still disembark in Victoria.:)

Actually, I just checked our roll call, and the emails started going out May 12. You'd think they could have done a bit of editing in all that time!

Interestingly enough on the back cover it says "Effective May 29 2015" and usually the date there is within a week or so of when they start appearing... so I have a feeling that for whatever reason HAL printed these and then decided to sit on them for a while.

I've been interested in Panama Canal sailings in 2017. I found exactly what I wanted in the Cruise Atlas. When I went to the HAL site to look at the deck plans, it shows the vessel in the Pacific. The HAL site does not show Panama Canal sailings beyond May 2016. Guess I'll have to wait. (I've found something I like on another line, but much prefer HAL.)

I've been interested in Panama Canal sailings in 2017. I found exactly what I wanted in the Cruise Atlas. When I went to the HAL site to look at the deck plans, it shows the vessel in the Pacific. The HAL site does not show Panama Canal sailings beyond May 2016. Guess I'll have to wait. (I've found something I like on another line, but much prefer HAL.)

This is the thing. By delaying the company loses bookings. I booked on X for an itinerary that later came out on another line for much less. Lots of us like to schedule ahead of time. I used to enjoy the (non-glossy) brochures that came in the mail with itineraries and prices...booked a couple that way. I could do without the glossy Mariner magazine if cost is the factor and prefer the more informative brochures. Or perhaps there are no more specials like that if business is good?

Lots of us like to schedule ahead of time. I used to enjoy the (non-glossy) brochures that came in the mail with itineraries and prices...booked a couple that way. I could do without the glossy Mariner magazine if cost is the factor and prefer the more informative brochures.

I agree with you on all three points.

I find it impossible to find a cruise on line. When I go looking, all I know is a range of months that I would be interested in going. That's it.

To look on line, one has to put in a narrow range of months, and at least an area of the world. Sometimes I don't know where I want to go until I see a cruise there offered. A brochure works perfectly for that.

I, too, could do without the Mariner magazine, HokiePoq. I like to look at the brochures, fold down the pages of the cruises that interest me, do a little more research and then book.

I normally write all kind of notes in those brochures comparing cruises, dates and vessels. If I don't have the brochure from HAL, I use the brochures that I get from all the other cruise lines that send them to me. I have three or four cruises on my "wish list" and a general time frame in mind, but the final decision is made when I see it on paper.

I don't mind that HAL puts the brochures online first. A lot of people are comfortable working strictly with online media. I'm not one of them. I need PAPER.

I don't mind that HAL puts the brochures online first. A lot of people are comfortable working strictly with online media. I'm not one of them. I need PAPER.

Agree 100%. And I'm a guy who works off two big monitors side by side. DW and I like to pass the Cruise Atlas back and forth. We mark our favorite pages with different colored post-it flags. (Very romantic, in an office supplies kind of way.) We already have a call in to our TA for the new Cruise Atlas.

I find it impossible to find a cruise on line. When I go looking, all I know is a range of months that I would be interested in going. That's it.

To look on line, one has to put in a narrow range of months, and at least an area of the world. Sometimes I don't know where I want to go until I see a cruise there offered. A brochure works perfectly for that.

Yes, it is much easier when you can see all your choices at once, mark them, and think about it. I didn't know of the existence of some itineraries such as the one we are going on this month without reading about it (for years) in a brochure. A brochure also serves as a visual aid when I put on my sales presentation to the DH, lol.

I'm with you, Ruth! Especially if you're trying to put together back to backs, e.g. a Baltic or Mediterranean cruise followed by a transatlantic home. It's so much easier to leaf through the Cruise Atlas and "dog ear" pages.

I, too, could do without the Mariner magazine, HokiePoq. I like to look at the brochures, fold down the pages of the cruises that interest me, do a little more research and then book.

I normally write all kind of notes in those brochures comparing cruises, dates and vessels. If I don't have the brochure from HAL, I use the brochures that I get from all the other cruise lines that send them to me. I have three or four cruises on my "wish list" and a general time frame in mind, but the final decision is made when I see it on paper.

I don't mind if it's online first, either. And I imagine that there are many 4 and 5 star Mariners (whose repeat business is valuable to HAL) who do not feel comfortable with (or perhaps even use) online media.

Edited by HokiePoq