Staying in contact while on board

FI and I will be on NOS in September and we will be leaving our 3 year old at home. I'm wondering how we can stay in contact with home via text, phone call, facetime?

We have AT&T and I know they offer a international text/talk package, but does the phone work when we are out in the middle of the sea?

Any tips/advice you can share would be great :)

The phone will be able to send and receive SMS texts (no photos, no videos, no group messaging) while out at sea. AT&T charges $0.50 for each text sent.

They charge for text even if I purchased AT&T'S international package?

They charge for text even if I purchased AT&T'S international package?

Yes, while at sea, AT&T has a different package. Look on their website for cruise ship coverage.

Yes.

$.50 isn't much....

I would give the babysitter your ship's emergency number, and trust them to do the right thing by your child...(obviously, you trust them, or you wouldn't leave your child with them!)..that way, should something that you could do something about happen, they can call YOU!

Texting is probably going to be your cheapest option...and you could use the ship's internet (for a fee) to send e-mails.....

Your 3 year old has no real sense of time...it's harder on YOU than on the child!

Yes, while at sea, AT&T has a different package. Look on their website for cruise ship coverage.

Ok, I will check it out.

What about facetime/skype and talk? What's the best way to do that? Finding a wifi area somewhere on land?

Ok, I will check it out.

What about facetime/skype and talk? What's the best way to do that? Finding a wifi area somewhere on land?

Yes, land based WiFi would bve much better than the WiFi that is currently onboard Navigator.

Yes.

$.50 isn't much....

I would give the babysitter your ship's emergency number, and trust them to do the right thing by your child...(obviously, you trust them, or you wouldn't leave your child with them!)..that way, should something that you could do something about happen, they can call YOU!

Texting is probably going to be your cheapest option...and you could use the ship's internet (for a fee) to send e-mails.....

Your 3 year old has no real sense of time...it's harder on YOU than on the child!

I'm sure it will be harder on us...lol...but I have to at least talk to him a couple of times while we are gone. My mother in-law will be watching him, so I know he is in great hands, but we will be gone for 8 days.....It's going to be hard leaving him.

Ok I think I understand it now.....

$60 gets us 50 mins of talk....but what I want to know is, will we have cell reception when at sea?

we get 100 outgoing texts, we get unlimited receiving text

And when we are on land we would have to get another int'l plan, which we won't do.

I'm happy I get the minutes to talk, just want to know if it will actually work out at sea.

We found free wi-fi at most of the ports.

I really wish there was some link for the major caribbean ports with locations. I started a thread in a couple port sections such as the Bahamas, St. Maartin, St. Thomas, but just a couple vague responses like "try McDonalds."

It would be nice for someone to put together a map near the cruise terminal or nearby shopping where there is free wifi.

$60 gets us 50 mins of talk....but what I want to know is, will we have cell reception when at sea?

And when we are on land we would have to get another int'l plan, which we won't do.

I'm happy I get the minutes to talk, just want to know if it will actually work out at sea.

Yes to cell reception at sea. Check the Att site as there is also coverage ashore as part of the package

Steve

It was mentioned on another thread that ATT charges a minimum of one minute for received calls even if you do not answer the call. This could be expensive if you have many friends you have that might call. Verizon does not charge unless you answer. Suggest you check with ATT to verify if they do charge for unanswered calls.

I really wish there was some link for the major caribbean ports with locations. I started a thread in a couple port sections such as the Bahamas, St. Maartin, St. Thomas, but just a couple vague responses like "try McDonalds."

It would be nice for someone to put together a map near the cruise terminal or nearby shopping where there is free wifi.

This is a great idea!!

If you get unlimited receiving texts, that seems ideal. Because you can ask your in-laws to just text you every day with what your little one has been up to - I'd have thought (you may be different, but this is what I felt when leaving a 3 year old) that what you most want is to hear that he/she is fine, and what they've been doing. Talking on the phone to your in-laws I can't see is going to be any better than them texting you. As for talking to your little one, I hate to say it but I wonder whether you might find that a disappointment. Three year olds aren't usually great at having conversations on the phone, it might (or not might not) upset them and it also might upset you. Especially if, for example, they're not very interested in talking to you, or they just wander off in the middle, or talking to you makes them cry. A nice detailed text from Grandma every day about the fun things they've been doing and funny things your little one has said or done would be much better, I should think.

that would be a really great idea. You could also try asking the crew, who also enjoy getting wifi ashore.

Can't speak for the Caribbean, but in the Mediterranean, pretty much every cafe and bar will have free wifi - you wouldn't really need a map. Just go to the nearest bar.