Dining in Blu when in a Suite

NCHPcruiser

I am on the Reflection for a Med cruise in September. In the past I have booked Aqua Class and enjoyed Blu for most dinners. We are in a Sky suite this time so will have Luminae. I understand that, upon availability, we will be able to dine at Blu. Has this been a problem for anyone? Although we are looking forward to the extra space in a suite, I love Blu and haven't heard anything terribly positive about Luminae.

In our last 5 cruises, never a problem when we were in a sky suite. We never go on the first night, however. We eat in a specialty restaurant. Likely you'll just want to stay in Luminae from what I'm reading. We won't know until November.

We never felt like we were taking the seats of Aqua pax and they never even once told us to wait. We did let AQ pax in front of us (you can tell by them holding their sea pass cards) but never a problem. We haven't eaten in the MDR in many many years. It's either Blu (or now Luminae) or specialty.

You might go at off peak hours. We typically got to Blu at 8:30. We also didn't care where we sat, so we got to experience a variety of the servers. Same wait staff doesn't matter to us.

Just check with the maitre 'd when you arrive and let them know when you're likely to eat there. I have a feeling that you're going to want to stick to Luminae.

We are in an S1 next month on the Mille, and very much looking forward to trying Luminae. Different ship, chef, time to shake-down a new restaurant and menu, I am keeping an open mind and reading the positive reviews. However, I love BLU, especially breakfast, and will likely be there often since I have four friends sailing in AQ. With Blu, suite guests are usually accommodated (though would not suggest first night), especially if you are willing to book a table earlier/later rather than peak times. One week there was a four generation family of 12, patriarch to baby, seated at the same long table together every night at 6pm.

Some of the changes I was happy to see..no more $5 charge to eat in Blu which seemed to be collected at random anyway. And we can invite guests to join us in Luminae as well...though $50 is stiff..and it had better be good that night! Plus one speciality restaurant too...I'm looking forward to it all :)

Edit: Thanks Claudia..all sounds delightful.

Edited by Janet987

Thanks, Claudia and Janet! Hopefully we will enjoy Luminae as much as we have Blu in the past. We are fairly easily pleased however I have not enjoyed the MDR experience. I have not tried many of the specialty restaurants since I have traveled in the past with older family members with smaller appetites who didn't want to spend extra for them. It's just my husband and myself this cruise so we are looking forward to trying several, if not all, during our 10 nights on the Reflection.

We also now avoid the MDR. This month in AQ and September in Suite. I think you will enjoy Luminae. However there are nights that I thought the Blu menu looked better. If you pay $50. for someone to join you make sure you look at the menu for Luminae during the day. Would not waste the money if menu does not suit you.

I don't know where you're reading bad things from those who have actually been in Luminae. It was wonderful for us.....we went to Blu one night, mostly for nostalgia and because we always loved Blu, and it's still great....but doesn't come close to the quality in Luminae.....

But if you must go to Blu, suites are treated as they always have been....upon availability

I don't know where you're reading bad things from those who have actually been in Luminae. It was wonderful for us.....we went to Blu one night, mostly for nostalgia and because we always loved Blu, and it's still great....but doesn't come close to the quality in Luminae.....

But if you must go to Blu, suites are treated as they always have been....upon availability

And that's exactly what I've been hearing. I can't imagine we'll eat dinner in Blu anymore. If the menu in Luminae doesn't suit us one night (although I can't imagine it won't - seriously) then we'll do specialty.

We like breakfast in Blu although I'm not as keen on it as some are. The pancakes are good but I try not to eat too much white flour and that's a lot of it! Kind of starting my day with what I call a "belly bomb" and that's not what I like to do. I usually just get yogurt and berries and granola (all brought in 3 separate bowls) and mix my own breakfast. But I can do that room service and buffet as well. Husband pretty much just wants a cup of yogurt and a single muffin or bagel and Diet Coke and that's breakfast. Muesli, which many love in Blu, - I'm eh on. Not an oatmeal person. To be honest, we like room service for breakfast. I can get my berries and yogurt and juice and DH can get a yogurt and maybe even splurge on an omelet - and eat that while we get ready for port.

Definitely looking forward to our first Luminae, our first drink package and our first Michael's Club experience in November. I can say for sure that we won't be eating three meals there in any one day. I'd need a whole new wardrobe. I'm hoping they are able to customize things and use local ingredients. I'd love fresh local fish. I know the roll-out was a bit inconsistent but by November I'm sure they'll be smooth.

And that's exactly what I've been hearing. I can't imagine we'll eat dinner in Blu anymore. If the menu in Luminae doesn't suit us one night (although I can't imagine it won't - seriously) then we'll do specialty.

We like breakfast in Blu although I'm not as keen on it as some are. The pancakes are good but I try not to eat too much white flour and that's a lot of it! Kind of starting my day with what I call a "belly bomb" and that's not what I like to do. I usually just get yogurt and berries and granola (all brought in 3 separate bowls) and mix my own breakfast. But I can do that room service and buffet as well. Husband pretty much just wants a cup of yogurt and a single muffin or bagel and Diet Coke and that's breakfast. Muesli, which many love in Blu, - I'm eh on. Not an oatmeal person. To be honest, we like room service for breakfast. I can get my berries and yogurt and juice and DH can get a yogurt and maybe even splurge on an omelet - and eat that while we get ready for port.

Definitely looking forward to our first Luminae, our first drink package and our first Michael's Club experience in November. I can say for sure that we won't be eating three meals there in any one day. I'd need a whole new wardrobe. I'm hoping they are able to customize things and use local ingredients. I'd love fresh local fish. I know the roll-out was a bit inconsistent but by November I'm sure they'll be smooth.

You may like to know that in Luminae they provided me with the Blu granola in a bowl with yogurt served separately. I did not request berries but I cannot believe that they would get those for us as well.

Edited by Project_gal

When we ate in Blu we had asked our butler to make a reservation and he did. We had no problem and no wait. Enjoy

With Blu, suite guests are usually accommodated (though would not suggest first night), especially if you are willing to book a table earlier/later rather than peak times.

Since when can one book a table at Blu? It is first come, first serve...unless there was a very recent change since my late-2014 cruise.

I am on the Reflection for a Med cruise in September. In the past I have booked Aqua Class and enjoyed Blu for most dinners. We are in a Sky suite this time so will have Luminae. I understand that, upon availability, we will be able to dine at Blu. Has this been a problem for anyone? Although we are looking forward to the extra space in a suite, I love Blu and haven't heard anything terribly positive about Luminae.

We have never, ever had a problem getting seated quickly at Blu. However, we tend to go early. Not a problem as suite passengers.

We are just off the Equinox with an S1 suite!

Loved the suite and the staff in Luminae was wonderful! We enjoyed the food in Blu and the decor much better than Luminae. The decor with the silver spidery pattern was visually very unappealing to my DH. Also, we hope more choices are added to the menu. Keep in mind that everyone is different in tastes. Blu is just a better atmosphere for the two of us! I am glad for the choices that suite guests have...

I'm going to get slammed for this and I really don't care.

I could be way off base but, I'm sure a major reason for Celebrity's decision to introduce the new suite class with Luminae as their dedicated dining venue, was to compensate for passengers in AQ (which we always book) having BLU, but being forced to wait because suite passengers wanted to eat there as well. Now Suite passengers have, what is supposed to be a superior dining experience, but still want access to both.

Maybe those of us in AQ who will still have to wait to accommodate suite guests, should insist on taking their place in Luminae to balance the scales.

Maybe those of us in AQ who will still have to wait to accommodate suite guests, should insist on taking their place in Luminae to balance the scales.

After our experience of Luminae on an Eclipse transatlantic Blu seems the better option choice-wise.

I'm going to get slammed for this and I really don't care.

I could be way off base but, I'm sure a major reason for Celebrity's decision to introduce the new suite class with Luminae as their dedicated dining venue, was to compensate for passengers in AQ (which we always book) having BLU, but being forced to wait because suite passengers wanted to eat there as well. Now Suite passengers have, what is supposed to be a superior dining experience, but still want access to both.

We always ate early and NO ONE EVER WAITED FOR US. In fact, if anything, my DH and I never receive ay special treatment, although it would be nice if it happened. This is not a slam back to you, but just stating the facts. Luminae, I believe, needs time to reevaluate their dining. We didn't plan to eat in Blu, but it was suggested by the head of Luminae. No one was even in Luminae at 6:00; everyone ate later.

Blu is offered by Celebrity. Celebrity created Blu and it is a big success! They need to bring Luminae up to Blu' standards. PLEASE eat in Luminae! I totally agree that Blu passengers should have the option. I even suggested it!!!! IMO, suite guests just pay more for their cabins; they are not entitled!

I guess that you have been personally "slammed" by some who eat in Luminae and have developed the opinion that we all make you wait in Blu for us. Please realize that in my personal case, that is not true! Some of us are actually very decent people who like a much simpler menu with more choice...sorry, but that is all I can say my friend...:) We ate in Blu two nights total!

Edited by Lastdance

We always ate early and NO ONE EVER WAITED FOR US. In fact, if anything, my DH and I never receive ay special treatment, although it would be nice if it happened. This is not a slam back to you, but just stating the facts. Luminae, I believe, needs time to reevaluate their dining. We didn't plan to eat in Blu, but it was suggested by the head of Luminae. No one was even in Luminae at 6:00; everyone ate later.

Blu is offered by Celebrity. Celebrity created Blu and it is a big success! They need to bring Luminae up to Blu' standards. PLEASE eat in Luminae! I totally agree that Blu passengers should have the option. I even suggested it!!!! IMO, suite guests just pay more for their cabins; they are not entitled!

I guess that you have been personally "slammed" by some who eat in Luminae and have developed the opinion that we all make you wait in Blu for us. Please realize that in my personal case, that is not true! Some of us are actually very decent people who like a much simpler menu with more choice...sorry, but that is all I can say my friend...:)

Just an FYI to add to this discussion, I am not giving any opinion as to who should eat where.

Blu was created for AQ cabins with the "healthy" concept in mind, it was not created based upon how much you paid for your cruise.

When Blu was introduced on the Solstice several years ago it was for AQ patrons only. Suite passengers were not permitted initially to eat in BLU at all, this occurred later.

Just a couple of facts, again not expressing any opinion here.

We were in a Sky Suite on the Summit a few weeks ago and dined in both Luminae and Blue. I found the atmosphere, food and staff in Luminae to be top notch. However I would not suggest that it was better than the service and food in Blu, just different. After a few breakfast days in Luminae, we opted to switch to Blue for the variety and preparation. The pancakes in Luminae were small. It wasn't the quantity that mattered but they were dry. Same for the french toast in Luminae. I am sure some guests would find that better. We opted for more moist and what we found to be more flavorful in Blu. I do wish that Celebrity would serve real maple syrup. The fruit compote is delightful but the syrup is like IHOP. Not what I would expect in Blu or Luminae. We found dinner in Luminae to be consistently well prepared with excellent execution. On our voyage to Bermuda, we dined around 8:30. We were often the last one's seated and were a bit uncomfortable with holding up the staff. Since 8:30 is late seating, it must have been the demographics of the suite guests on that sailing. The night we ate in Blu, we found there to be more people dining late so it seemed a bit livlier and friendlier between guests.

As I mentioned in the original question, I have for the past several years booked Aqua class and dined in Blu. There were four of us and except once for just a few minutes, we NEVER waited and we ate in Blu exclusively. I hate that obviously some are having to wait; however as I was sold on going with the Suite because Blu would still be available I'm sure I'll be dining there (probably more than Luminae). I have seen several post mentioning that the Luminae menu is very similar to that in the MDR. If they are simply serving MDR food in a different atmosphere then unfortunately I'll stick with Blu. I'm sure the service in Luminae is outstanding and we will definitely give it a try. It sounds like Celebrity needs to the up their game and improve upon Luminae !

Just an FYI to add to this discussion, I am not giving any opinion as to who should eat where.

Blu was created for AQ cabins with the "healthy" concept in mind, it was not created based upon how much you paid for your cruise.

When Blu was introduced on the Solstice several years ago it was for AQ patrons only. Suite passengers were not permitted initially to eat in BLU at all, this occurred later.

Just a couple of facts, again not expressing any opinion here.

We all must remember that change is the only constant. You do pay more for AQ and to eat in Blu. This entire discussion is based on what was and what is at present; this too shall change...hopefully we won't have a total Blu/Lumanie war. I just follow the rules that someone else makes. I do not make the rules. I guess I am having trouble understanding your point, Don. Change is inevitable...Hopefully, this issue will be the worst one that you have today. Doesn't really matter what was as it has changed for the good for some and for the worst for others. Improve Lumanie and they will come! Celebrity is in charge here and we have a choice whether to sail with her or not....but it is what it is and not what it was! I will continue to abide by the rules and do my best not to step on anyone's shoes, including yours. I respect your facts as they were true to the best of my knowledge when Blu was created...

Edited by Lastdance

Although I do love the food in Blu, my favorote part of eating there is that it has been adult only. I usually sail in suites now, except for my upcoming Alaska cruise (i wanted an aft). I haven't eaten in Blu since sailing in a suite, but am very much looking forward to it again. I sincerely hope that even if suite guests are allowed, they keep it to adults only...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Although I do love the food in Blu, my favorote part of eating there is that it has been adult only. I usually sail in suites now, except for my upcoming Alaska cruise (i wanted an aft). I haven't eaten in Blu since sailing in a suite, but am very much looking forward to it again. I sincerely hope that even if suite guests are allowed, they keep it to adults only...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Blu has never been adults only, any child staying in a AQ is entitled to eat in Blu and has been from the beginning. Children staying in suites may eat in Blu with their parents, I believe over the age of 12 but this is not really enforced.

Edited by dkjretired

Sorry. It is not "adult only". It is 2 people per cabin. If one adult and one child books an Aqua cabin they both can dine in Blu. Also if you have a small child that uses a "pack & play" crib they will let 3 in a cabin. Plus if there are any children in suites, they are also allowed to dine in Blu.

Unlike Murano etc, there is no age limit to dine in Blu

Edited by Christine Frances

Blu has never been adults only, any child staying in a AQ is entitled to eat in Blu and has been from the beginning. Children staying in suites may eat in Blu with their parents, I believe over the age of 12 but this is not really enforced.

Your very adorable doggie looks very similar to mine! I guess dogs are not allowed in Blu yet! Just kidding for sure!:D