Summit going past the Statue of Liberty

cruisin_ppl

This is the fourth week in a row that Summit has passed by the statue for a photo op, including last week when she had azipod issues. I hope this remains the case, I'm on her for the last Bermuda run of the season.

I always looked forward to going under the Bridge. Going that the Statue just doesn't excite me. Guess it was the trips daily on the Staten Island Ferry!:o:cool:

Looking forward to going under the bridge also. :)

Yes, the Summit leaves it's berth in Port Liberty and heads north for a photo op. It "holds" in the harbor anchorage until the Breakway approaches and then Summit spins and follows Breakway out of the harbour. I've sailed Summit three times to Bermuda and have never done this. As I stated earlier, this is the fourth week in a row they have headed to the statute for photos. The "chatter" from the harbour master and the various ships is interesting to listen to. I hope the statue photo ops continue.

Watching the Summit right now cruising out of Bayonne and it’s heading toward the Statue of Liberty to do a photo op for the passengers.

I hope we are lucky enough next week to do the same. :)

We never got to see the statue of liberty, problem with one of the thrusters on port side. we ended up going back to the pier and finally left the port at 4am. we did, however, get to bermuda right on time! Loved the cruise!

We never got to see the statue of liberty, problem with one of the thrusters on port side. we ended up going back to the pier and finally left the port at 4am. we did, however, get to bermuda right on time! Loved the cruise!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise even though you were a little delayed on your departure.

We've never been on the Summit or to Bermuda and we are looking forward to this cruise.

Must be something or someone special on board. We were on the June 14 sailing and headed straight for Bermuda without any diversions to NYC.

Nothing / no one special. Captain Leo did it on the 7/5 cruise (mine) and the one before.

Yes, the Summit leaves it's berth in Port Liberty and heads north for a photo op. It "holds" in the harbor anchorage until the Breakway approaches and then Summit spins and follows Breakway out of the harbour. I've sailed Summit three times to Bermuda and have never done this. As I stated earlier, this is the fourth week in a row they have headed to the statute for photos. The "chatter" from the harbour master and the various ships is interesting to listen to. I hope the statue photo ops continue.

How are you able to listen to the chatter by the harbour master? Can I do this without a marine radio?

by the time we sail, the new female Captain will be onboard....hope she does the same for us and takes us by the Statue of Liberty!

Marsha

Us too! We are doing the Sept. 20th New England cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
On which side is best to see the Statute of Liberty as the Summit passes by?

On our July 19 Summit cruise the ship went toward Manhattan made a u-turn just after the statue of Liberty, so both sides get a good view.

On which side is best to see the Statute of Liberty as the Summit passes by?

We were at the Sunset Bar and aft was good for photos.

Capt. Leo started doing this June 21 on our Bermuds sailing....imagine our surprise and our very first view of the SOL.

Wonder if Capt. Kate will take the helm on today's sailing. They're seem to be hush, hush about her exact start date in August.