Allure La Spezia port shuttle location

Trying to walk out exactly how far the walk is to La Spezia Centrale station from the ship. I know you have to take a free 5 minute shuttle from Molo Garibaldi to the port entrance. Is the port entrance near Molo Garibaldi? From some reports it sounds like the shuttle actually takes you to near the Piazza Europa/cathedral i.e. approximately https://www.google.com/maps/place/44%C2%B006'23.1%22N+9%C2%B049'47.8%22E/@44.106429,9.82993,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

That would seem to be the location. The bus pulls forward on the far side of that parking lot.

There are tourist information booths in the buildings when a ship is in port. Their is a small paid 'tram train' that is available just behind that area up toward the street. You can take that tram, walk or get a taxi from that point.

It's about a 20 minute walk and is easy to do, mainly through a pleasant pedestrianised shopping area. You can pick up a map in the terminal building which shows you where to go.

It's about a 20 minute walk and is easy to do, mainly through a pleasant pedestrianised shopping area. You can pick up a map in the terminal building which shows you where to go.

So 20 minutes to walk from the ship to the train station? From there we can take a train to Monterosso and the rest of the Cinque Terre towns?

So 20 minutes to walk from the ship to the train station? From there we can take a train to Monterosso and the rest of the Cinque Terre towns?

Yep, that's about it (depending on your pace, you might want to allow more like 25-30 minutes, but as others said, it's an easy walk)

Keep in mind, depending on the time of year and weather, the ferry option may or may not be available. So, if you plan to go that route, be sure you have the train as a back-up.

As another poster mentioned, the tourist info building will be manned while the ship is in port. We found the folks working there to be extremely helpful is telling us exactly how to get to the train station.

BTW - if you get hungry while in Vernazza, be sure to stop and eat at Baia Saracena (it's right at the water's edge)....OMG - we had some of the best pasta there during our entire trip around Italy!

Have fun!

Melissa

Edited by kirian

You can check out my photos for the ferry ride.

We asked at the tourist information and they told us that the ferry tickets are sold inside the building. The lady there said she wasn´t sure whether the ferries are running and sent us to the ferry dock for tickets and further information. The sea was calm and smoothe (we had quite a rough sea in Marseilles the day before with two groups of teenagers onboard who were busy feeding the fishes...).

steamboats

You can check out my photos for the ferry ride.

We asked at the tourist information and they told us that the ferry tickets are sold inside the building. The lady there said she wasn´t sure whether the ferries are running and sent us to the ferry dock for tickets and further information. The sea was calm and smoothe (we had quite a rough sea in Marseilles the day before with two groups of teenagers onboard who were busy feeding the fishes...).

steamboats

Steamboats, I just translated your review about CT and it looks like from the picture of the ferry times it takes 2 hours to get from La Spezia to Monterosso - does that sound right? Also the 26 Euros daily rate lets you get on and off the ferry as much as you want?

We're just back from Anthem and a port stop in La Spezia. We walked from the port shuttle to the train station.....about 20 minutes. Didn't see a tram. We were told a taxi was 15 eu each way.

This was our 2nd time in La Spezia. The first time we took the ferry up and the train back. The ferry ride is nice and scenic but a lot longer and was 26 eu pp. As you can see in Steamboats wonderful pictures the ferry doesn't stop at a dock. The ferry has a narrow ramp that is lowered onto a rock. You get off and then work your way up a narrow rock path to the city.

This time we decided to take the train both ways. An all day train ticket was 12 eu/pp. You can buy it at the train station....just be sure to validate it before you board. We went to Vernazza and then worked our way back. From the train station you can walk down to the town. At Corniglio the town is far above the train station and you can walk the road, the 385 steps or take a shuttle for 2.5 eu/pp. We took the shuttle up and walked down. Manarolo and Riomaggiore are similar to Vernazza and you can walk from the station down to the towns. Scenic and fun.

The trains run fairly often and you can get a schedule at the station in La Spezia when you buy your ticket.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Ferry boat is beautiful and runs about 4 or five times a day from LeSpezia going around the peninsula. Takes 2 hours or so to get to Monterosso. Train runs every 10-20 min and takes 20 min. Walk is really easy from cruise port on a pedestrian walkway through nice shopping area. Follow signs with pictures of trains going there and signs with pictures of boats going back. (Don't even have to read)

If you take the ferry, the first one is at 9:15. We didn't clear to get off the ship till well past 8:30, closer to 9 so we missed the first ferry and took the train. I think a few people may have made it but be ready to disembark as quickly as possible. The second ferry didn't get to Manarola until past noon, about 1:00 to Monterosso, and we figured that would make for a very late start so we took the train. Ferry was about 75e for 4. Train was less than 10e for all of us.

Keep in mind that the ticket machines at the train station are very crowded in the morning so leave time to buy tickets. I think you can get a day pass for the trains online in advance for a nominal fee.

We did scuba in Manarola then hopped the train to Monterosso, had great lunch on the beach, walked around town then hiked to Vernazza and went swimming, shopping and gelatoing. Really easy. Took train back from Vernazza to LaSpezia and walked back to ship, shopping and gelatoing again along the way. I hope this helps, Have a great time!!!

Steamboats, I just translated your review about CT and it looks like from the picture of the ferry times it takes 2 hours to get from La Spezia to Monterosso - does that sound right? Also the 26 Euros daily rate lets you get on and off the ferry as much as you want?

Yes, it´s two hours to Monterosso and the daily ticket is 26 Euro. Check the ferry schedule on the website as it´s only published for a pretty short period of time. So especially during summer there might be more connections.

Getting off the ship in time was no problem. But getting on the shuttle bus was a mess. There were no visible lines and the tour groups seemed to use the shuttles too. We decided to be "not so polite and use our elbows" and made it into a pretty overcrowded shuttle bus. I would have lined up if there had been any organized lines. Anyway we had plenty of time to get the 9:15 am ferry. I think we stood in line until the ticket booth opened for about 15 to 20 min.

steamboats

The ferry is such a great way to travel to Cinque Terre. We've done it before by train but loved the ferry journey. We only bought the ticket one way and then just travelled between the towns and back to La Spezia by train.

A word of advice if you want to catch the ferry is that you can buy the ferry ticket at the Tourist Information desk in the port building. I had read this somewhere and we were glad we did it as there was a very crowded and disorganised line for tickets at the ferry port.

Bobal,

We were told that by the ladies in front of the harbor building. But then inside the lady selling the tickets told us she doesn´t know whether the boats are running (weather conditions) and sent us to the ferry dock. So we bought our tickets there.

steamboats

Bobal,

We were told that by the ladies in front of the harbor building. But then inside the lady selling the tickets told us she doesn´t know whether the boats are running (weather conditions) and sent us to the ferry dock. So we bought our tickets there.

steamboats

Oh that's interesting. We had no trouble buying tickets but perhaps they won't sell them if they think there's a chance of the ferries not running. I know that they are often cancelled so it's best to have a back-up plan if you are hoping to travel by ferry.

We're just back from Anthem and a port stop in La Spezia. We walked from the port shuttle to the train station.....about 20 minutes. Didn't see a tram. We were told a taxi was 15 eu each way.

This was our 2nd time in La Spezia. The first time we took the ferry up and the train back. The ferry ride is nice and scenic but a lot longer and was 26 eu pp. As you can see in Steamboats wonderful pictures the ferry doesn't stop at a dock. The ferry has a narrow ramp that is lowered onto a rock. You get off and then work your way up a narrow rock path to the city.

This time we decided to take the train both ways. An all day train ticket was 12 eu/pp. You can buy it at the train station....just be sure to validate it before you board. We went to Vernazza and then worked our way back. From the train station you can walk down to the town. At Corniglio the town is far above the train station and you can walk the road, the 385 steps or take a shuttle for 2.5 eu/pp. We took the shuttle up and walked down. Manarolo and Riomaggiore are similar to Vernazza and you can walk from the station down to the towns. Scenic and fun.

The trains run fairly often and you can get a schedule at the station in La Spezia when you buy your ticket.

PERFECT! This is exactly what I needed!! Thank you!!!!

Ferry boat is beautiful and runs about 4 or five times a day from LeSpezia going around the peninsula. Takes 2 hours or so to get to Monterosso. Train runs every 10-20 min and takes 20 min. Walk is really easy from cruise port on a pedestrian walkway through nice shopping area. Follow signs with pictures of trains going there and signs with pictures of boats going back. (Don't even have to read)

If you take the ferry, the first one is at 9:15. We didn't clear to get off the ship till well past 8:30, closer to 9 so we missed the first ferry and took the train. I think a few people may have made it but be ready to disembark as quickly as possible. The second ferry didn't get to Manarola until past noon, about 1:00 to Monterosso, and we figured that would make for a very late start so we took the train. Ferry was about 75e for 4. Train was less than 10e for all of us.

Keep in mind that the ticket machines at the train station are very crowded in the morning so leave time to buy tickets. I think you can get a day pass for the trains online in advance for a nominal fee.

We did scuba in Manarola then hopped the train to Monterosso, had great lunch on the beach, walked around town then hiked to Vernazza and went swimming, shopping and gelatoing. Really easy. Took train back from Vernazza to LaSpezia and walked back to ship, shopping and gelatoing again along the way. I hope this helps, Have a great time!!!

Wonderful! Thanks so much!