Female Captain Announced

CruisingChick

I hope you are correct. Perhaps the Staff Captain promotion was also with limited experience

Again, as I have to assume you have no personal knowledge of the training or work experience in the maritime industry, you again sound pretty sexist. Do you really think that in the age of the Costa Concordia, that a cruise line would promote someone for PR reasons? And Schettino had more experience, and had previous incidents of nearly striking ships, causing them to go aground, but was kept in command anyway.

I hope you are correct. Perhaps the Staff Captain promotion was also with limited experience

Again, as I have to assume you have no personal knowledge of the training or work experience in the maritime industry, you again sound pretty sexist. Do you really think that in the age of the Costa Concordia, that a cruise line would promote someone for PR reasons? And Schettino had more experience, and had previous incidents of nearly striking ships, causing them to go aground, but was kept in command anyway.

chengkp75: you are a wonderful person; I appreciate your comments on here (and other threads as well). Probably time to stop feeding the ignorant, sexist troll.

I think this is great news and wish her all the best. Only thing I'm curious about is up until know all Celebrity's captains have been Greek, I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that was one of the conditions of sale from the original Greek Chandris Cruise Line, that the fleet continue to have Greek Captains at the helm. Obviously in this case it seems not so!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this is great news and wish her all the best. Only thing I'm curious about is up until know all Celebrity's captains have been Greek, I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that was one of the conditions of sale from the original Greek Chandris Cruise Line, that the fleet continue to have Greek Captains at the helm. Obviously in this case it seems not so!!

The time period for the requirement has expired.

Please see posts # 30,32, and 41 above. (I'd had that question too). :)

The time period for the requirement has expired.

That makes sense! A great opportunity then for new blood, male or female!!

Please see posts # 30,32, and 41 above. (I'd had that question too). :)

Thanks I skimmed through a lot of light hearted replies and missed that. At least I'd heard it right, found it fascinating in a way that's how Chandris kept part of their heritage alive in the 'new' company.

Looking thru Cruise Critic news site, I can't find this newsworthy event.

However, did find the one about QE2 adding more kennels. Welcoming a new captain should be a headliner and she is one lovely looking young lady. Let's try not to call her Captain McCute. :D

I am reminded of the time we were on a bridge event on board a Celebrity vessel. There was a female officer on watch. In all sincerity, I said that I was glad to see women in all departments as this is more family like. With a grin on her face she said, "Be careful what you wish for."

Wondering what the old timers are thinking. Can imagine there are some sour grapes ( read - I know there are some sour grapes) where seasoned captains raised thru the ranks on container vessels, etc. are thinking these young whipper snappers aren't experienced enough. Bah, humbug to that!

Looking thru Cruise Critic news site, I can't find this newsworthy event.

However, did find the one about QE2 adding more kennels. Welcoming a new captain should be a headliner and she is one lovely looking young lady. Let's try not to call her Captain McCute. :D

Really? Going right to objectifying her... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: