Nassau - go to port or stay onboard?

unseemlygamer

Would YOU want to go to port in Nassau, or is it best to stay onboard the ship?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU want to go to port in Nassau, or is it best to stay onboard the ship?

• Go to port
    • Stay onboard

Hello everyone. This is my first post so please be kind. :)

First off, I am a 17-year-old male going on a Royal Caribbean cruise through the Eastern Caribbean in a few weeks. Our first port of call is Nassau, and since I'm vlogging this cruise, I plan to vlog every port of call. :D

I've been thinking about doing an excursion - either the Glass Bottom Boat Tour, or the Paradise Island and Sightseeing Tour. Why am I mentioning those specific excursions, you may ask?

Well, I've heard that the way excursions work is that the tour guide picks you up safely right from the pier, but as far as the excursions returning you to the ship safely, I'm not entirely sure, though I'm pretty sure that the Glass Bottom Boat Tour does do that.

You're probably wondering why I'm using the word "safely." If you know, that's great, but if you don't, it's because of the increasing crime rate.

I've read that crime in Nassau is usually targeted toward locals, in areas what they call "Over the Hill" where tourists usually stay away from, but it's been expanding to tourist areas, and I've read reports of armed robberies taking place during excursions :eek:

One of these reports was during an excursion that included a stop at Queen's Staircase, and that's kinda starting to give me second thoughts on the Paradise Island and Sightseeing Tour, because Queen's Staircase is part of that excursion.

I don't know if I should even god forbid get off the ship at all, because you could be greeted with armed robberies or drug dealers near or at the dock itself :eek:

Really, part of me wants to do an excursion, but part of me thinks I should stay onboard. :confused:

I'd gladly appreciate tips from you guys! :)

I've been to Nassau 5 times while on cruises and got off every time. I've enjoyed my time there and have never felt less safe than any other city.

I think one time when I went on a cruise with my father that stopped in Nassau, we got off the ship, but I don't remember anything lol. About a year later I went on a cruise with the same itinerary, with my sister and both of my parents, but I don't think I got off in Nassau that time.

We've always gotten off the ship, and done things on our own, and never felt unsafe. My teens headed over to Junkanoo for a couple of hours with some friends. Just be smart.

Well, whichever excursion I do, I plan to do with my parents, so I could be pretty safe. It's still necessary to be aware of surroundings at all times though.

We don't even plan to do anything other than an excursion, because it's a short stop in Nassau (7am to 2pm; the gangway opens around 7:30am and everyone's gotta be back on by 1:30pm)

Stay on the ship. The pools aren't crowded. Enjoy the ship's facilities instead of wasting your time in Nassau. If you're going to be in port more than a day, get a day pass at one of the hotels, but aside from that it's not that great of a destination. Bermuda beaches, on the other hand, are a must go in my book.

Stay on the ship. The pools aren't crowded. Enjoy the ship's facilities instead of wasting your time in Nassau. If you're going to be in port more than a day, get a day pass at one of the hotels, but aside from that it's not that great of a destination. Bermuda beaches, on the other hand, are a must go in my book.

We're only in port from 7am to 2pm.

Now, this is the way it used to be- but they are remodeling, and I dont know if they have finished the remodeling, so again this is the way it used to be-

your ship docks, think of a parking lot for ships, and you get off, and there is someone with a sign that says (imagine) YOUR EXCURSION, and you walk over, and when every one has arrived, your guide walks you through that parking lot full of ships via a sidewalk, and then you walk through the Festival Building (which is approved by the Bahamian government-arts and crafts for sale) you then walk out and get on bus or boat.

Now, a few suggestions, for your information. Walking around with an expensive phone, camera, gold necklace, is saying "Hi, I'm rich." So perhaps in Nassau you simply take a camera, not something worth a lot. It would be terrible to be robbed of your camera before you get to see the other ports.

The American dollar is the same as the Bahamian dollar, that may be true for what's in your wallet, but not for salaries, hence the higher crime. So take just what you think you will need for one day in Nassau. Nothing more.

On Woodes Rodgers ST, you will be one of thousands of tourists. Walk one more block in, and there are officers on every corner. Walk one more block inland, and the tourists are less, the cops are not on every corner, and you are a target-IF YOU LOOK LIKE ONE!

So be smart, look sharp, and be attentive. And that is true for every city. I have been to Nassau 5 times by ship, and years ago spent a week there. I never felt unsafe. I have to admit I did not get off the ship the last time I went, only because it was raining so hard, my excursion (a day at the beach) was cancelled, and I was alone and didn't want to walk around alone.

Cruise Happy!

Now, this is the way it used to be- but they are remodeling, and I dont know if they have finished the remodeling, so again this is the way it used to be-

your ship docks, think of a parking lot for ships, and you get off, and there is someone with a sign that says (imagine) YOUR EXCURSION, and you walk over, and when every one has arrived, your guide walks you through that parking lot full of ships via a sidewalk, and then you walk through the Festival Building (which is approved by the Bahamian government-arts and crafts for sale) you then walk out and get on bus or boat.

Now, a few suggestions, for your information. Walking around with an expensive phone, camera, gold necklace, is saying "Hi, I'm rich." So perhaps in Nassau you simply take a camera, not something worth a lot. It would be terrible to be robbed of your camera before you get to see the other ports.

The American dollar is the same as the Bahamian dollar, that may be true for what's in your wallet, but not for salaries, hence the higher crime. So take just what you think you will need for one day in Nassau. Nothing more.

On Woodes Rodgers ST, you will be one of thousands of tourists. Walk one more block in, and there are officers on every corner. Walk one more block inland, and the tourists are less, the cops are not on every corner, and you are a target-IF YOU LOOK LIKE ONE!

So be smart, look sharp, and be attentive. And that is true for every city. I have been to Nassau 5 times by ship, and years ago spent a week there. I never felt unsafe. I have to admit I did not get off the ship the last time I went, only because it was raining so hard, my excursion (a day at the beach) was cancelled, and I was alone and didn't want to walk around alone.

Cruise Happy!

I always carry my phone with me, and in addition to my Sony Handycam, I have a GoPro I got a few weeks ago. My only concern about that is carrying them around without becoming a target.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...