If you cruise solo are you single?

klass2

Just curious to see if any other solo cruisers were married.

I'm a married mother of 6 kids 12 and under. I'm exhausted. I love to cruise. It's my happy place with a strawberry lava flow in one hand a good book in the other hand.

I think being alone on a cruise is a great way to pamper myself and unwind and have time to recharge. It's hard to coordinate a time and destination with my girlfriends.

I'm headed out in my first solo cruise this week and have received a lot of negative feedback about how it's not appropriate/it's weird to cruise alone.

Anybody else ever cruise solo who is married or in a long term relationship?

I'm a married mother of 6 kids 12 and under. I'm exhausted. I love to cruise. It's my happy place with a strawberry lava flow in one hand a good book in the other hand.

I think being alone on a cruise is a great way to pamper myself and unwind and have time to recharge. It's hard to coordinate a time and destination with my girlfriends.

I'm headed out in my first solo cruise this week and have received a lot of negative feedback about how it's not appropriate/it's weird to cruise alone.

klass2, Although I am single and sail solo, I have met other solos that were married and sailing solo, so yes, there are married people who sail solo. Sometimes one spouse has more vacation time than the other, and other times one spouse loves cruising and the other doesn't care for it.

Traveling solo is a great way for you to pamper yourself, so I hope you enjoy yourself. The only person you need to worry about is yourself, so good for you. As far as those who tell you it's weird or inappropriate to sail solo, well that is a lot of bunk. Many people love to sail solo and probably the negative people wish they could too sometimes, and are a little bit jealous of you. Don't let anything someone might say, deter you from having a great time on your solo cruise.

Hope you have a great trip.

HI all!

klass2 ~ I've been married for 40+ years & have done half my cruises solo. I've also gone with DH & friends. I actually prefer going alone as you can do what you want to do. You can meet people on the ship to do things with or be alone, your choice.

I didn't get into cruising until later so never had small children at home but it sounds like a solo cruise is what you need!

You sure pick some nice ships I see. I loved Carnival Breeze (did it twice solo) & also have done Allure solo as well as Freedom of the Seas twice solo plus Epic & Getaway which are ideal for solo sailing.

Have a great time!

~ Jo ~ :)

Thank you both for your perspectives.

Jo--we are going on the breeze as a family in September. Maybe I will go back solo.

I've done the allure twice, once with kids and once with the hubs. I loved the ship.

My solo trip is on the oasis. I figured I could do all I wanted to do on the allure but wasn't able to fit in bc of time constraints and also doing what others want.

I really want to try a solo on a NCL ship in one of the solo cabins too.

Interestingly enough all the nay sayers are people who have never cruised themselves.

Thank you both for your perspectives.

Jo--we are going on the breeze as a family in September. Maybe I will go back solo.

I've done the allure twice, once with kids and once with the hubs. I loved the ship.

My solo trip is on the oasis. I figured I could do all I wanted to do on the allure but wasn't able to fit in bc of time constraints and also doing what others want.

I really want to try a solo on a NCL ship in one of the solo cabins too.

Interestingly enough all the nay sayers are people who have never cruised themselves.

I really think a lot of people who haven't cruised before think of cruising as "The Love Boat." I know when I was ready to take my first solo cruise (after my divorce) I got a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" type reactions, all as you said from people who had never cruised, who seemed to think I was going on the prowl for men. And I assure you, although I am now single I do NOT cruise to meet a man. People seem to confuse "singles cruise" and "solo cruise". :)

I was married a long time and my ex-husband didn't like to travel (therefore neither of us liked to travel :rolleyes:). The year I got divorced I decided to take my first cruise. While I am single I consider myself solo and have enjoyed all my cruises. I have met some wonderful married people who were solo (like everyone said, different vacation time, one likes cruising while the other doesn't, or to travel with other family members).

It is the best type of vacation to do as much or as little as you want and to be pampered if that's your thing!! Enjoy!! :)

I'm another happily married solo cruiser. My DH has cruised before but its just not his thing. I cruise with family and girl friends or solo. Sometimes you just need a little down time and I feel that a cruise is perfect for that. You can do as little or as much as you like.

I'm also a married soloist (one done at age 57, and one planned if no one can go with me). I've cruised with my husband, and cruised with 30 family/friends. I enjoyed the solo as others have said, no pressure from anyone. There were a few lonely moments but they didn't last long. Just got up and out doing something. Don't let the negative people sway your choices, the only person you have to answer to is you. Happy Sailing!

I am single, but as travelnap noted, I have also run into many married or partnered folks who were traveling solo. I've never thought anything odd about that. On the contrary, I tend think it's rather odd when someone doesn't take a vacation solely because their partner can't at the chosen point in time.

If it works for you and your family, it's frankly no one else's business how you vacation! Enjoy your cruise :)

klass2, Although I am single and sail solo, I have met other solos that were married and sailing solo, so yes, there are married people who sail solo. Sometimes one spouse has more vacation time than the other, and other times one spouse loves cruising and the other doesn't care for it.

Traveling solo is a great way for you to pamper yourself, so I hope you enjoy yourself. The only person you need to worry about is yourself, so good for you. As far as those who tell you it's weird or inappropriate to sail solo, well that is a lot of bunk. Many people love to sail solo and probably the negative people wish they could too sometimes, and are a little bit jealous of you. Don't let anything someone might say, deter you from having a great time on your solo cruise.

Hope you have a great trip.

Hi Neil, you are spot on:).....I always have to shake my head when

someone says something is inappropriate:rolleyes:...how does one

person know what is good for someone else? Or not know?

I have been divorced for more years than most folks have been

married;).....and I always go solo....I have met plenty of people who

are sailing on their own and have a spouse or SO at home....absolutely

no big deal to me at all.

To the Original Poster, go on your cruise and HAVE A BLAST:D

Edited by Lois R

I'm also a married mother who likes to travel solo! My world revolves around my kids (wouldn't have it any other way!) and it is nice to take a break and have someone else take care of me for a week. I come back a happier, more relaxed mom.

Most of the time people on the cruise are supportive when I tell them I'm a married solo. But the last time I got into a conversation with a woman who looked at me with great pity and asked, "Isn't there anyone in your life that could go on a cruise with you?" She really didn't get that being on a cruise solo was exactly what I wanted!

<SNIP<

I cruise solo some of the time, and have a partner. Self-care is important/vital. My DH gets limited vacation time, while I am self-employed. There are times that I just HAVE to get away, far away, from that self-employment :D Relaxing and restoring are crucial for most of us. Have a wonderful cruise!

edited to add: after the last "girls cruise" debacle, I no longer invite along female friends, either ;)

Edited by CowPrincess

I met two ladies on my last cruise who were married but traveling solo. One lady's husband doesn't like cruising so she goes all the time by herself. The other one's husband had commitments so she went without him.

To the OP....

I think a cruise is a fantastic way to pamper yourself. Disregard any negative comments people might make and have a fabulous time!

Thank you all very much for the reassurance.

DH knows my intentions are to just be alone and we both enjoy cruising. We both know what the reality of my cruise will be like.

Doubts started creeping into DH's head once people started saying stuff to him about how he should be worried etc...

That really took the wind out of my sails too.

Oh well. I leave for Florida in 2 days. Time to shake it off (in the words of the wise Taylor swift *snicker*) and go and have fun/relax.

People that say this are just ignorant of the fact that there are MANY solo cruisers both single and married. You have already seen the multitude of reasons.

People that say this are just ignorant of the fact that there are MANY solo cruisers both single and married. You have already seen the multitude of reasons.

Hi Steve, hope you have a wonderful cruise:D...you mean people at

home tell you that?:eek:......I have been cruising solo for 12 years......

it is the only way I cruise:)...not weird or inappropriate at all!

Hi Steve, hope you have a wonderful cruise:D...you mean people at

home tell you that?:eek:......I have been cruising solo for 12 years......

it is the only way I cruise:)...not weird or inappropriate at all!

Hi Lois, I second that motion. I have only sailed solo and don't know if I would want to have to share a cabin with someone else. I don't think it is weird or inappropriate, I think they should call it be spoiled as the only person you have to worry about is yourself. Neil

I'm a married guy (24 years), and I've done several solo cruises. My wife doesn't want to go, and they're oddly a perfect place to have alone time for writing or teaching myself something. I don't have to worry about food or lodging, I work during the day, I get some social activity at dinner, and then in the evening I go listen to a little music or something. While I would be delighted if my wife came along, cruises are my personal retreats.

I should note that I don't do cruises that are more party-oriented or "fun in the sun". I find inexpensive repositioning cruises that are mostly sea days, and those tend to have relatively placid guests on board. While I guess I'm not averse to a more boisterous ship, that's not what I'm looking for and those cruises are usually shorter than I want anyway. I like to disappear for 2 or 3 weeks on board a ship.

I've been married over 40 years and have been traveling solo for ten years. My DH in a real homebody and doesn't do travel at all. I have had some wonderful trips and along the way have made some dear friends from all walks of life and from all over the world.

Count me as another married person who enjoys solo cruises! Hubby likes cruising, but one cruise every few years is all he needs or wants. Our last cruise together was this past January. The great part was we had a cabana (on HAL) so we had a fabulous spot that was all ours. I spent most of the day there, while he came in & out between going to see a movie or whatever. The not so great part was not having my own stateroom...yes, I love him but I soooo enjoy having the stateroom to myself!

My upcoming cruises - this November I cruise solo for 10 nights (absolutely heavenly), then Jan 2016 I do a short 3-nighter with a girlfriend I know travels well (no snoring), Feb 2016 is with hubby again (and good friends in the stateroom next door - plus 2 cabanas), then Dec 2016 I'm crusing with another friend but we have our own separate staterooms. So, I'm pretty much doing all the possibilities in the next year & a half - but solo cruises (or at least my own stateroom) will always be what I do most!

Sue/WDW1972

I have meet married solos who travel that way for a number of reasons.

One woman ran a small business with her husband, they could not both go on vacation at the same time.

Another woman showed up at the dinner table every day in different fancy dresses and dripping in jewelry. She clearly liked dressing up. Her husband was on a fishing trip with 'the boys' to Northern Canada, a place where you have to rough it all the time.

Another woman won the trip and gladly took it since she wanted a chance to think about whether she wanted to stay with her husband. On the cruise she did not have any relatives to distract her.

One young guy I met liked to play poker all the time at sea, this was his break from his girlfriend.

And one older guy I meet said that the break from his wife was the reason they were still married after 55 years!

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

No it's not strange or inappropriate, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I've recently done my first solo cruise and met a cross section of other solo travellers, married, single and widowed like myself. All had one thing in common, to enjoy our cruise. I felt completely safe, it's a great way to travel.

Go and have a much deserved break and recharge your batteries.

I think a lot of people find it "odd" that anyone wants to and does travel on their own. Married, single or any other label you put on your status there is just seems to be a questioning attitude when you choose to do anything but especially travel on your own.

I am single & I have travelled solo & with friends and family. I have enjoyed them all. To me, travelling solo can be a bit lonely at times but is also very empowering!

Enjoy your time, do what your want and don't worry about others.

By the way on a solo trip to Disney, one very stressed looking wife and mother suggested that perhaps I was the smartest one on the shuttle. :)

Edited by patreke
spelling