Cruising with the kids - Potential problem

Hi Everyone!

Long time reader - first time poster :)

We have recently booked for a South Pacific cruise onboard Radiance sailing out of Sydney in late December 2015. This will be my partner and 2 kids first cruise .. and my first since I had a wild 10 days on the Fairstar over 20 years ago. I don't remember much about my Fairstar trip, except the name of that very cute brunette .. Kate, or was it Lisa .. never mind, I must have had a good time!

We have booked 2 staterooms ... a GS for us, and a normal interior stateroom for the kids (aged 19 & 15). Booking was made through an experienced & recommended TA. At the time of booking we were advised of the policy of RCI that all bookings needed to have an adult (over 21) for each cabin .. so we booked my partner and daughter into the GS and myself and son into the other cabin. Seemed logical at the time as once onboard we'd just move rooms.

Since making the booking, I have done some more reading and realised that this is not an ideal arrangement. From what I can see .. my SeaPass won’t open my GS cabin door! .. and my booking won’t allow me to take advantage of the Suite bonus extras like Concierge Club, priority boarding/embarkation, priority onboard bookings etc .. and also won’t give the bonus loyalty points from the GS cabin booking.

How can we fix or deal with this issue? I was a bit concerned about calling RCI as .. well .. it is their policy that has caused this issue. Is this something that we can sort once we are onboard?

We are really excited about getting away from everything on a nice relaxing holiday .. and more than excited about experiencing the extra luxury of a Grand Suite. Really hoping their is a way of making sure that this issue does not create a cruise spoiling problem.

Thanks in advance for everyone help.

A&C +kids

Edited by Exige
spelling

Go to guest services and ask for a spare key card for both rooms. Keep the GS spare key for yourself and the give the interior one to your daughter.

Your partner and son will be fine with their own seapasses, you and daughter will need to carry your seapass for buying things and entering/exiting the ship and carry a separate blank card for getting in to your room.

The kids can be in their own room if they are directly across the hall or next door.

I think you should sort it out now as the suite benefits apply to adults who are in the suite and minor children traveling with them. Your 19 year old will not be eligible if not in the suite, but you will not be eligible either, if you are not in the suite.

Unfortunately they can't do this. There are no interior cabins at all on deck 10 on the. Radiance where the GS's are.

OP you will have to get extra keys on board as they will not put the kids in a cabin by the self. I am assuming that your kids are older as they are on a different deck. Just re read post and yes your kids are older.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Have you checked the age requirement out of Australia? Your 19 year old can drink because that is our drinking age and it is permitted by Royal Caribbean for ships sailing from Australia. If the ship is out of the USA, they have to be 21+. So perhaps the same rule applies to the age in the cabin. Worth asking.

You said late December; are you on the 26th December? We are on there and will be in GS1060.

Cheers

Di

Have you checked the age requirement out of Australia? Your 19 year old can drink because that is our drinking age and it is permitted by Royal Caribbean for ships sailing from Australia. If the ship is out of the USA, they have to be 21+. So perhaps the same rule applies to the age in the cabin. Worth asking.

You said late December; are you on the 26th December? We are on there and will be in GS1060.

Cheers

Di

Good catch.

Onboard Policies

Print This Page

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

Thanks Di & Ken,

That's some good info. I have emailed my TA with a link to the RCI T&C page that shows the variations for Australia and (hopefully) they'll be able to sort it all out for us.

Cheers

Di

Yep .. we'll be in GS1032. Given we can take a couple of bottles on board with us, drop in for a nice glass of Champagne early .. before it runs out!

Thanks Di & Ken,

That's some good info. I have emailed my TA with a link to the RCI T&C page that shows the variations for Australia and (hopefully) they'll be able to sort it all out for us.

Yep .. we'll be in GS1032. Given we can take a couple of bottles on board with us, drop in for a nice glass of Champagne early .. before it runs out!

Great news. Look forward to meeting you - how did you know I just love Champagne:p. Just remember to take your Champagne and/or wine in your carry on, otherwise it will be confiscated:(

Cheers

Di

Good catch.

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

Good to know.

Time to change TAs! You were unfortunately given terrible advice. The issues you have identified are correct, you will not have concierge access if you're not booked in that cabin, and there is no need for it to be booked the way it has been! Get the TA to contact Royal and switch yourself and daughter over.

Hi Exige,

you are correct in that you will not be able to access the suite benefits if you are not staying in a suite. Suggest you contact RCI or ask your TA to sort it out. It's a myth that it is RCI's policy to have one adult per cabin, YES this is what a TA will advise - we had the same advice from TA, however when I contacted RCI direct there was absolutely no problem with the kids having their own cabin (eldest is 17). The ages for alcohol consumption and unaccompanied passengers are a not exactly relevant - my kids are 13 & 17 in their own cabin which is entirely ok with RCI, they are not unaccompanied, nor will they be consuming alcohol, we are in GS and get suite benefits. Only able to book this as I went direct. Good luck.

A good TA would have advised you that RCCL often waves the requirement of someone in the room having to be over 21 if the cabin booked is across from or very near the parents rooms. Not on different floors or on the same deck other side of the ship. If the inside room is very near the GS would contact TA to have the contact RCCL and discuss the matter. Would suggest that you be on the line and TA do a three way call to RCCL.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I think Royal has a policy in Australia for cruises in Nov/Dec/Jan that an adult has to be on the booking for each cabin. Think it was introduced because of school is week. I'm just not sure what months it applies o so worth checking this out.

I have suffered through this myself.

I did exactly what you did, booked a GS for me and an interior across the hall for my son and daughter. I had a parent booked in each room because the kids were under 18. Well we got on board and one adult has a white interior room key and the other adult has a gold sea pass key. Guest services will give you an extra white key but it made it impossible to get into suite areas. Once he was even stopped from entering the seating area off windjammer as he tried to follow me in. It was difficult paying for the suite perks and not actually having the gold card to show. I thought it would be easy to do a switch once on board but I was wrong. Hope this helps and best of luck :)

A good TA would have advised you that RCCL often waves the requirement of someone in the room having to be over 21 if the cabin booked is across from or very near the parents rooms. Not on different floors or on the same deck other side of the ship. If the inside room is very near the GS would contact TA to have the contact RCCL and discuss the matter. Would suggest that you be on the line and TA do a three way call to RCCL.

Correct! Did it a number of times with multiple cruise lines (RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian). My kids were always across the hall or in close proximity. The reservations are then linked. Never a problem. A good TA should have known this.

Great news. Look forward to meeting you - how did you know I just love Champagne:p. Just remember to take your Champagne and/or wine in your carry on, otherwise it will be confiscated:(

Cheers

Di

I have carried on 2 and packed 2. Never any troubles and end up with 4. Partner can carry on 2 also and end up with 6. I know I know that's not the policy, but it works. worst thing to happen is give up the extras.

Last year we booked a GS for ourselves (on the Freedom) and an inside for a friend (travelling single) in an inside cabin nearby. The concierge was able to link keys so that our friend could also get into the concierge lounge etc and she was able to enjoy the benefits we had (few as they were) as suite guests--hopefully you can do the same for your kids.

Also the concierge can help with your key issues-- very dependable to solve any/all issues you may have (the concierge) in our experience with Royal

Edited by Hotel CA