Post cruise flights Hawaiian Air or Island Air?

Luv Cruising Land or Sea

We are on the POA in April 2016 - planning to go to Maui for a few more days post cruise - any advice on the inter-island airlines? Island Air is about $20 cheaper per person one way - just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

We are flying from BOS to HNL and then OGG back to BOS so need to get there in between.

Would appreciate advice from those who have flown on either or both.

I have not flown on Island Air's twin turboprop ATR 72 aircraft but prefer the twin jet engine Boeing 717's flown by Hawaiian.

Island Air charges $15 for the 1st bag & $25 for a 2nd bag; HA charges $25 & $35 ($15 & $20 if a Hawaiian Miles member).

I don't know how their schedules compare but would consider Island Air if the schedule was convenient & airfare was $20/pp. less with baggage fees being $10/bag less for such a short flight.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Island Air gets a lot of complaints re delayed flights, so we've used Hawaiian for our inter-island flights - they operate a lot of flights daily amongst the islands (and beyond), and have a good reputation for dependability. Nice planes too. Well worth $20 each more.

Are you staying in the Kaanapali area of Maui first? I absolutely love the flights from HNL to the Kapalua airport. The planes are fairly small, it's like being on a sightseeing tour. And, we have enjoyed a complimentary pickup from the airport to our hotel. When we needed a car there were several major car rental companies at the Kapalua airport. And, we have not found the flights any more expensive than those into OGG from HNL. Cherie

Island Air gets a lot of complaints re delayed flights, so we've used Hawaiian for our inter-island flights - they operate a lot of flights daily amongst the islands (and beyond), and have a good reputation for dependability. Nice planes too. Well worth $20 each more.

I searched for on time performance & Island Air was on time 96% of the time in May & June. For the same months HA was on time 86% of the time which includes Mainland flights and interisland flights were on time 90%-96% of the time.

That's not the only thing I'd consider but something I decided to check.

Maybe it's improved since Larry Ellison bought it. The complaints that I've read about Island Air's delays are the length of them (hours) - and since they aren't operating very many planes, it's a problem putting people on another flight.

This article is a bit dated (last year), but it mentions Hawaiian taking top honours for punctuality for 10 straight years.

Maybe it's improved since Larry Ellison bought it. The complaints that I've read about Island Air's delays are the length of them (hours) - and since they aren't operating very many planes, it's a problem putting people on another flight.

This article is a bit dated (last year), but it mentions Hawaiian taking top honours for punctuality for 10 straight years.

Hawaiian is my preferred airline between LAX & OGG but I haven't flown interisland in years. HA has a great on time record, complimentary meals & glass of wine, one of the few airlines that fly wide body aircraft from LAX and a great mileage program. :D

Hawaiian would be my choice for 20 bucks more. One is a far larger airline, the other just a local up and coming one. For 50 bucks I'd like go with the cheapest, but one Andrew Jackson is small potatoes in my bank account :D

Are you staying in the Kaanapali area of Maui first? I absolutely love the flights from HNL to the Kapalua airport. The planes are fairly small, it's like being on a sightseeing tour. And, we have enjoyed a complimentary pickup from the airport to our hotel. When we needed a car there were several major car rental companies at the Kapalua airport. And, we have not found the flights any more expensive than those into OGG from HNL. Cherie

Which service are you referring to? I was only looking at OGG and didn't realize there are other options. I have not yet booked hotel on Maui as we are still planning an itinerary but we do want to do the Road to Hana one of our days and Haleakala crater another so was thinking of the Wailea area to be more central. We will dock for 2 days in Kahului on the POA so we were thinking of a rental car during that stay to visit the west end.

cinbol - Cherie was referring to Island Air, which flies into Kapalua West Maui Airport (JHM), but if you're staying in Wailea, then OGG is the closer option.

If you stay in W. Maui, then Kapalua airport is a good choice, except that you would either need to do a one way car rental, since your flight home is from OGG, or drop the car off at the W. Maui rental location and take a taxi or shuttle to OGG. The one way car rental plus shuttle or taxi will likely add significantly to the cost vs. a rental pick up/drop off at OGG.

Cherie mentions that the car rentals are at the Kapalua airport, but they are off-site - a couple of miles south of the airport on Halawai Drive - and I think they all have limited hours there (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

cinbol - Cherie was referring to Island Air, which flies into Kapalua West Maui Airport (JHM), but if you're staying in Wailea, then OGG is the closer option.

If you stay in W. Maui, then Kapalua airport is a good choice, except that you would either need to do a one way car rental, since your flight home is from OGG, or drop the car off at the W. Maui rental location and take a taxi or shuttle to OGG. The one way car rental plus shuttle or taxi will likely add significantly to the cost vs. a rental pick up/drop off at OGG.

Cherie mentions that the car rentals are at the Kapalua airport, but they are off-site - a couple of miles south of the airport on Halawai Drive - and I think they all have limited hours there (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

Thanks for the clarification! Sounds like flying into OGG will be the best way as we do plan a car rental no matter where we choose to stay.

Hawaiian is my preferred airline between LAX & OGG but I haven't flown interisland in years. HA has a great on time record, complimentary meals & glass of wine, one of the few airlines that fly wide body aircraft from LAX and a great mileage program. :D

Thx - I don't think we have time for a meal and wine between islands LOL - looks like we are up in the air for a very short time!

Thx - I don't think we have time for a meal and wine between islands LOL - looks like we are up in the air for a very short time!

That would be quite difficult to do...LOL ;) There is barely enough time to give a free POG juice or water and I wouldn't buy an $8 beer either. Very short flights indeed & why it's called island hopping.

Yes...picking an airline because of inflight benefits is not something to consider when flying inter-island. The meal service on HA is only available on overseas flights. I am not as big of a supporter of HA as others, it is fine, but we have definitely noticed a difference in the last 4-5 years. We have never had a problem with Island Air, Mokulele, or the now out of business Aloha Air.

Mokulele airlines is the airline providing service between Honolulu and the Kapalua airport now.

The rental car agencies are as close to the Kapalua airport as the rental car agencies are to the OGG airport. All require a short complimentary shuttle.

We don't always need a car for the entire time on Maui so will have the hotel pick us up at the Kapalua airport and rent a car when we want it and possibly for the drive to OGG. The price of dropping a car off at OGG has not been an issue. I don't think we have always paid a drop-off fee and the convenience of JHM airport when staying on that part of the island is so nice.

Of course all of the things that I like about JHM, the Kapalua airport, others will dislike. It is definitely nice to have options that will make everyone happy. Cherie

Also, since you are going to do the Road to Hana post cruise, you might consider staying in Hana overnight. We have been traveling to the Hawaiian Islands for more than 30 years and I have never done the road to Hana in one day. It is so enjoyable to take your time on the drive and enjoy the Seven Pools, lava tubes, and beaches without worrying about the drive back. We have stayed in Hana several times. JMO Cherie

Yes...picking an airline because of inflight benefits is not something to consider when flying inter-island. The meal service on HA is only available on overseas flights. I am not as big of a supporter of HA as others, it is fine, but we have definitely noticed a difference in the last 4-5 years. We have never had a problem with Island Air, Mokulele, or the now out of business Aloha Air.

Mokulele airlines is the airline providing service between Honolulu and the Kapalua airport now.

The rental car agencies are as close to the Kapalua airport as the rental car agencies are to the OGG airport. All require a short complimentary shuttle.

We don't always need a car for the entire time on Maui so will have the hotel pick us up at the Kapalua airport and rent a car when we want it and possibly for the drive to OGG. The price of dropping a car off at OGG has not been an issue. I don't think we have always paid a drop-off fee and the convenience of JHM airport when staying on that part of the island is so nice.

Of course all of the things that I like about JHM, the Kapalua airport, others will dislike. It is definitely nice to have options that will make everyone happy. Cherie

Thanks Cherie - always nice to have more than one view to help us make decisions.

Do you have a recommendation for an overnite in Hana? I have the Maui Revealed" tour book and can see that it would be a great advantage as we do plan to take our time on the drive and find all the spots that the tour busses don't stop at ( if that's possible!) Several other passengers on the cruise are taking a tour from the port and I believe from what I have read so far, that they will be missing a lot of the experience along the way.

I like the idea of just hitting a beach and being low key when we arrive Saturday after getting off the cruise. Sounds like we could just rent a car the next day ( are rental places open on Sunday?) and have it for two days.

I am looking at a Luau for Monday nite to celebrate our 40th anniversary and would also like to find a place to renew our vows - maybe tie the two together if possible.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Greatly appreciated. I am finding the planning for this adventure is a lot like choosing wallpaper - after reading about the first 20 places it get very confusing!

Cindi

Hi Cindi, We stayed at the Hotel Hana Maui several times, and it was a Sheraton property for a few years. It is fabulous but is now very expensive and named Travaasa. We also stayed at the Bamboo Inn a couple times but I checked their website and they require two nights unless one night is open between bookings, so you might check your dates. The Aloha Cottages get good reviews on Trip Advisor, not inexpensive but nice. Check the listings on VRBO but remember to check if they have cleaning fees. Listing 199861 looks nice.

I will give some thought to the luau and renewing vows. Our daughter works in the hospitality industry on Maui and I will ask her for suggestions also.

Maui Revealed is a great book. I think the planning is half the fun and hope you are enjoying it.

Cherie

The Old Lahaina Luau is a great Hawaiian luau & very popular which frequently sold out. Being Hawaiian some are disappointed that the fire dance is not included because that is Samoan.

For special events like our 40th anniversary we spent a few dollars more for the Feast at Lele in Lahaina. It pairs food & entertainment from 4 Polynesian cultures...Samoa, Tahiti, New Zealand (Maori) and Hawaii. It's a smaller oceanfront location with table service and great food & drinks.

Both the Feast at Lele & OLL are operated by the same company & we've enjoyed both of them. Seating is assigned & the earlier you reserve the better your seats. OLL has banquet type of tables but the Feast at Lele has tables for 2 directly in front of the stage. The closest tables at the OLL are low & you sit on a mat.

If you search this forum you'll find more info about both of these great options. :)

https://www.feastatlele.com

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Old Lahaina Luau is a great Hawaiian luau & very popular which frequently sold out. Being Hawaiian some are disappointed that the fire dance is not included because that is Samoan.

For special events like our 40th anniversary we spent a few dollars more for the Feast at Lele in Lahaina. It pairs food & entertainment from 4 Polynesian cultures...Samoa, Tahiti, New Zealand (Maori) and Hawaii. It's a smaller oceanfront location with table service and great food & drinks.

Both the Feast at Lele & OLL are operated by the same company & we've enjoyed both of them. Seating is assigned & the earlier you reserve the better your seats. OLL has banquet type of tables but the Feast at Lele has tables for 2 directly in front of the stage. The closest tables at the OLL are low & you sit on a mat.

If you search this forum you'll find more info about both of these great options. :)

https://www.feastatlele.com

Thanks again! This ol' body doesn't do well on the ground so sitting on a mat definately won't work for me! Will check further on the forums for more details.

C

Thanks again! This ol' body doesn't do well on the ground so sitting on a mat definately won't work for me! Will check further on the forums for more details.

C

Neither does my ol' body & thankfully they have regular tables to enjoy the OLL with good views of the performance.

If you have any questions after viewing those other threads don't hesitate to ask. Maui & cruising are 2 of my favorite subjects. ;)