Disappointed with explorer

But not everyone has a beverage package and there is definitely a reduction in staff, even in the MDR it's harder than ever to get a beverage.

we didnt have a drinks waiter but our assistant waiter was very speedy with our drinks in the mdr each night

CruisingThom - when you mention the lack of sunloungers, do you remember if there were deckchairs available in the more shaded areas by the sides? I burn too easily to lounge for any length of time, but like to sit in the shade and drip dry after a swim :)

I'm not going until October, so I suspect it may be quieter then anyway, and people from warmer climes than mine may not be as keen to strip off - maybe I'll have the pool to myself!

I wonder is this a cultural difference? Certainly in Ireland, the norm is to go to the bar and order and carry your own drinks (at the age of 17 you learn to carry 3 full pint glasses, 2 vodkas + mixers in your hands with no more than 2% spillage between the bar and your seat, or you are forever banished). Table service is rarely available in the majority of pubs, so unless someone accosts me the second I sit down, I usually expect to fetch and carry my own drinks from the bar.

This could also explain the funny looks I got in the US when I kept heading to the bar to get my own drinks. There were waitresses, but I assumed they were there only for food (which would be usual at home).

Hi Thoie

I did see a whole stack of what looked like new deckchairs that had been delivered I can't remember where I seen these but there where lots that look had just arrived I don't recall there being an issue for those type seats so you should be good :-).

we didnt have a drinks waiter but our assistant waiter was very speedy with our drinks in the mdr each night

I must say we experienced a wait last time on last cruise and noticed severe lack of bar waiters and our assistant waiter ended up getting drinks however the service on explorer in our dining room was fab we had bogdan from Romania who was over straight away as we arrived and kept us topped up during our meal the service was fantastic he even brought us extra cocktails etc each night as knew we where all on a package he didn't even take our cards as had made a note of our folio number and often remembered our orders and would deliver drinks as we looked to be getting low he also worked in a few other bars and made sure we were always ok! He got an extra large tip at the end outstanding service best I've experienced by far in fact our whole dining room experience was fab on this cruise!

I love how we can be on the same cruise and have so many different view points,it's really interesting. I agree with a lot of your comments too, except for one. We are huge fans of Mike Cooke, he's been on our last 3 cruises and remembers us each time, due to the first ever convo we had with him and he realised we where from wales and his son in law is welsh. We spoke to him several times whilst on explorer and unprofessional is not a word that would ever cross my mind to describe him. To us he stands out!!

Interesting. I'm just trying to take some waffle out of my review and then I'll post it.

I would describe mike Cooke as a very rude man indeed- one day after returning to the ship, both my husband and myself went off going though the security. We were both taken aside and scanned manually, we explained that my husband has screws in his hip and I have a false knee. Which satisfied the crew member as it has always done before. Well you should of heard what this Mike Cooke said about us, basically if we are being held together with screws etc. we shouldn'd be on cruises etc. etc. (we have put in a formal complaint). We have nothing against being pulled out because we go off, it happens nearly every time, and has in fact become a bit of a joke, but to hear what he was saying about us was unbelievable. Other people also could not believe what was being said. We don't spend thousands of pounds to be spoken to like this.

they have amended the running track so that you can do a full lap without hitting a wall. However they have yet to change the painting on the start line which says 5 laps = 1 mile. It now takes 8 laps to = 1 mile.

On liberty? Or on explorer? If liberty, my October cruise will not be great, I my cabin mate and I are in training for a half marathon that takes place two days after we return... I don't want to get in all my miles on the treadmills, I do like running on the deck too... Sigh...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

My bad. At a Q@A session the captain said during the upcoming refit Liberty will be increasing capacity by 120 by adding cabins on deck 12 forward. Didn't go into details.

Hmmm... Upcoming when? Hopefully not before October...

On liberty? Or on explorer? If liberty, my October cruise will not be great, I my cabin mate and I are in training for a half marathon that takes place two days after we return... I don't want to get in all my miles on the treadmills, I do like running on the deck too... Sigh...

I meant explorer x

I must say we experienced a wait last time on last cruise and noticed severe lack of bar waiters and our assistant waiter ended up getting drinks however the service on explorer in our dining room was fab we had bogdan from Romania who was over straight away as we arrived and kept us topped up during our meal the service was fantastic he even brought us extra cocktails etc each night as knew we where all on a package he didn't even take our cards as had made a note of our folio number and often remembered our orders and would deliver drinks as we looked to be getting low he also worked in a few other bars and made sure we were always ok! He got an extra large tip at the end outstanding service best I've experienced by far in fact our whole dining room experience was fab on this cruise!

Yes, we had Bogdan as our drinks waiter on Indy last year..... He was fab, never had an empty glass..... Not always a good thing.... Lol [emoji2]

Edited by saffikins
Also, just wondering do you happen to know who the Mixologist was in R bar (aka Champagne bar)?

I wonder is this a cultural difference? Certainly in Ireland, the norm is to go to the bar and order and carry your own drinks (at the age of 17 you learn to carry 3 full pint glasses, 2 vodkas + mixers in your hands with no more than 2% spillage between the bar and your seat, or you are forever banished). Table service is rarely available in the majority of pubs, so unless someone accosts me the second I sit down, I usually expect to fetch and carry my own drinks from the bar.

This could also explain the funny looks I got in the US when I kept heading to the bar to get my own drinks. There were waitresses, but I assumed they were there only for food (which would be usual at home).

I am probably a bit guilty of this myself. I just can't sit still very long and enjoy getting up and walking over to the bar to get a drink. I also am not all that fond of being waited on for things that I can do myself. I guess this is also why I prefer the Windjammer over the main dining room. Getting my food gives me a chance to get up and walk around a bit and I am not so helpless that I need someone to bring my food to me. I guess I can blame my father for this sense of self reliance that he instilled in me.

Edited by Ocean Boy

My bad. At a Q@A session the captain said during the upcoming refit Liberty will be increasing capacity by 120 by adding cabins on deck 12 forward. Didn't go into details.

Huge difference between 120 capacity and 120 cabins! Thanks for clarifying.

Explorer was one of our Royal Caribbean disappointments...the food mainly...Promenade Cafe & Johnny Rockets were good...But the general food on Royal Caribbean has improved a great deal in our last few cruises, so we figured it would have improved at the same time...We had great Fun with our group & although food means a lot to me...it was still a great cruise. :):):):)

We were on the same 13 night 29/06 Explorer cruise but had a very different experience. We never waited long at a bar - whether deck4/5 bars or pool bar for a drink. The only disappointment we had was with the MDR - we found the menu limited and the food just ok. The service everywhere was excellent. We ate a lot in the Windjammer because the staff got to know us - we always sat in the same area and they always came to assist with the baby.

We were always able to find a sun lounger - sometimes not in the exact spot we wanted but usually nearby. One problem I had was that we nipped for a snack once for 10 minutes and came back to find someone sitting on our seats even though we left all our things there - and they wouldn't move! We found sitting around the pool a good way to get a drink as there were continually waiters/waitresses coming around asking if anyone wanted bar service.

It's good to hear a nice review. We sail on 26th. First time cruisers. We have the select package as part of our deal, if we want a drink at a bar or pool how do the staff know we have this package. Sorry if it seems like a silly question

You hand your SeaPass card over. If you are on a package that includes the drink you have ordered you won't be charged. If not, the drink will be charged to your on-board account.

One problem I had was that we nipped for a snack once for 10 minutes and came back to find someone sitting on our seats even though we left all our things there - and they wouldn't move!

How inconsiderate of them. This is where you have to take turns to go and get your food.

It's good to hear a nice review. We sail on 26th. First time cruisers. We have the select package as part of our deal, if we want a drink at a bar or pool how do the staff know we have this package. Sorry if it seems like a silly question

You will get your Seapass card at check-in. This card is all in one. It is your charge card onboard, your room key and your access for getting on and off the ship. You will generally need to carry your Seapass card with you all the time.

On your Seapass card, there will be a coca-cola symbol and probably a sticker for the select package. This shows the bartender that you have the soda and select drinks package. You will need to present your Seapass card to the bartender every time you order a drink.

CruisingTom87,

Having read your review I believe that most of the problem you faced was trying to have the Explorer dining staff accommodate 8 people at My Time Dining. We have seen that being a problem in the MDR but not so much. To have it be a requirement in MTD is certainly harder to accomodate.

Bar service wait times is a problem that the booze packages have caused across the fleet.

I don't know of any public areas that were made smaller that would affect seating.

As you said the disco was moved to the Viking Crown. The one on Freedom compared to the Crypt it replaced was hardly used by anyone during the time we were aboard. Like you we enjoyed the previous entertainment in the Viking Crown.

If you have a chance to do a Radiance Class I would give it a go!

having been on explorer pre and post refit here are a few public spaces that have gone or been made smaller....

The Chamber Nightclub has been converted to nineteen new cabins on the lower deck and speciality restaurant 'Giovanni's Table' on the upper deck.

Weekend Warrior sports bar has been converted to shops on the Promenade.

The Aquarium Bar, which originally occupied the port side and starboard side, was reduced by half and renamed The Tavern.

Starboard side is now an Art Gallery.

The 19th Hole (formerly public area)is now the Diamond Lounge (D and above C&A members only)

The VCL (Crows Nest) is still the same size, however it is renamed Dizzys and has no early evening entertainment but turns into the nightclub from 11pm.

Perhaps people no longer have an incentive to go up there unless wanting a quiet drink?