Formal nights

Airportlimbo

I totally disagree and am very happy they aren't required.;)

Did you read what the managing director of Celebrity said? Do check it out. Her version of formal night is a tux or dark suit. If she manages the line then I'd say what she says goes. That being said, we don't bring tuxes on Celebrity(Cunard, most definately yes)We usual have nice suites & yes, we do wear ties/bowties usually, even on smart casual nights. Hopefully your idea of smart casual is NOT what the person wore in Blu..A collarless Yankee baseball shirt(tacky enough as it is!)save that stuff for day time use.

Did you read what the managing director of Celebrity said? Do check it out. Her version of formal night is a tux or dark suit.

Yep, that's the official Celebrity line but I think gsb was referring to ties which were not mentioned (apart from being deemed "acceptable") in the CEO chat.

Did you read what the managing director of Celebrity said? Do check it out. Her version of formal night is a tux or dark suit. If she manages the line then I'd say what she says goes. That being said, we don't bring tuxes on Celebrity(Cunard, most definately yes)We usual have nice suites & yes, we do wear ties/bowties usually, even on smart casual nights. Hopefully your idea of smart casual is NOT what the person wore in Blu..A collarless Yankee baseball shirt(tacky enough as it is!)save that stuff for day time use.

Dark was removed from the description of a suit several years ago and has not been used for quite awhile. She also in that presentation apparently believes that the dress codes are enforced when we know that is not true.

You are arguing over things that were settled years ago and really are not an issue anymore.

Edited by dkjretired

"Formal" attire includes:

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#1

Says NOTHING about a tie

It doesn't say anything about a sports coat either.

It doesn't anything about having to wear shoes, socks or underwear either, but there was a time when such details were understood, including the wearing of a tie with a tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket.

It you want to wear a tux do so, if you think you can get away with open neck shirt without a jacket ( and you probably will) then take a punt. Whilst people belly ached on forums like this regarding dress standards I have yet to see an open neck shirt without jacket spoil someone's dinner in the MDR. Life is too short to get precious about such trivialities

I just love these 'debates' on these boards. If you want to wear a tux, great. If you want to go jacket less and without a tie, the you roll the dice. If they don't let you in to the resturant, then you took a chance and lost. So you eat at the buffet that night, so what? I own a tux and am debating whether to bring it. A lot of extras to haul onto the boat. But how many times do I get an excuse to dress up? Celebrity seems to be making it easy for someone to decide how much they want to dress up by making available a variety of dining venues. Just go to the one that you fit into that night.

It doesn't anything about having to wear shoes, socks or underwear either, but there was a time when such details were understood, including the wearing of a tie with a tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket.

We have had a couple of posters complain about their husbands having to pack jackets and ties. Now, with your post, they probably won't be packing shoes, socks and underwear.

We have had a couple of posters complain about their husbands having to pack jackets and ties. Now, with your post, they probably won't be packing shoes, socks and underwear.

See what a slippery slope it is? :D