Australian drinkers

I note that Carnival will sell their beverage packages on every Carnival sailing of 4nts or more anywhere in the world, EXCEPT sailing from Australia. Do they think we are that bad? I know there are a percentage who drink too much but I think they'd do that whatever the circumstances. It annoys me that Carnival considers that every other nation can buy a package and drink sensibly but not Australians. What do others think?

Princess, also a Carnival Corporation line, has just announced a drinks package for Australian cruises of 8 days or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival and P&O also follow suit but maybe they are going to try it on Princess first to see how cost effective it is for them.

Australians

Drink?????:eek::confused:

Are you sure ;):p

Nah, not sure at all! All those people staggering around on our last cruise must have been affected by the fresh sea air. ;) :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Nah, not sure at all! All those people staggering around on our last cruise must have been affected by the fresh sea air. ;) :D

VErtigo bought on by the ships movement :D

Seriously though never really seen it very often.

Friends are in Europe (Spain) and went to take advantage of a Med sailing that has the drink package included as a promotion. They were told it is not available to Australians. This is not a regional policy but a racist policy.:(

Friends are in Europe (Spain) and went to take advantage of a Med sailing that has the drink package included as a promotion. They were told it is not available to Australians. This is not a regional policy but a racist policy.:(

Wow I didn't realise it was that bad.

VErtigo bought on by the ships movement :D

Seriously though never really seen it very often.

We only noticed it on the first day. I think some passengers were trying to make the most of the first day of their drinks package. ;) :D

Who are they cruising with?

We had drinks packages on our RCI cruise.

I note that Carnival will sell their beverage packages on every Carnival sailing of 4nts or more anywhere in the world, EXCEPT sailing from Australia. Do they think we are that bad? I know there are a percentage who drink too much but I think they'd do that whatever the circumstances. It annoys me that Carnival considers that every other nation can buy a package and drink sensibly but not Australians. What do others think?

Carnival AU is managed separately from the US division. So other things available on the US side have been also behind.

But yeah, restrictions have applied to drinks packages here in Carnival Australia. Since their main line is P&O and they've had bad experiences there.

They're seeing how the competitors do it, but their pricing is global rather than regional... economics are also different, given the local sourcing, and consumption rates.

We only noticed it on the first day. I think some passengers were trying to make the most of the first day of their drinks package. ;) :D

That happens a lot on the first couple of days.

It was actually quite funny to watch. I bet there were some very sore heads the next morning. Luckily it was a very smooth cruise. :D

I was on a celebrity ship for a cruise that included Australia Day (the first time that they had done this) many passengers had drink packages included after 6 days of a 8 day cruise they announced that over 150 thousand alcoholic drinks hag been served. They had run out of many mixes and spirits

Cruise love

I was on a celebrity ship for a cruise that included Australia Day (the first time that they had done this) many passengers had drink packages included after 6 days of a 8 day cruise they announced that over 150 thousand alcoholic drinks hag been served. They had run out of many mixes and spirits

Cruise love

That would have been a huge party :D

Cruise love

t really depends on what drinks they counted [these packages also include soft drinks mocktails and specialty teas and coffees] and how many PAX on the ship.

That is only 25,000 drinks a day, 2,500 PAX is only 10 drinks each if it included coffee and maybe soft drink, not really a lot.

Cruise love

t really depends on what drinks they counted [these packages also include soft drinks mocktails and specialty teas and coffees] and how many PAX on the ship.

That is only 25,000 drinks a day, 2,500 PAX is only 10 drinks each if it included coffee and maybe soft drink, not really a lot.

Using your math, that is 60 drinks per person if there were 2,500 pax. and cruise love stated that they were alcoholic drinks.

Even if the ship was the Solstice with a 2,850 pax capacity, that is still over 50 drinks per passenger, sounds like the staff may have been adding up a few extra.:rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

Some people have the ability to drink vast amounts, especially beer.

On our "best" day on Rhapsody I think we managed 8 alcoholic drinks: glass of wine with lunch, two afternoon cocktails, pre-dinner cocktail, three glasses of wine with dinner, one after dinner cocktail or liqueur. Normally we only had one afternoon cocktail but that day was very warm and we'd finally discovered the perfect refreshing cocktail that didn't blow our brains out.

But 10 drinks would be possible - an extra glass of wine with lunch, an extra after dinner cocktail which we burn off by dancing.

Using your math, that is 60 drinks per person if there were 2,500 pax. and cruise love stated that they were alcoholic drinks.

Even if the ship was the Solstice with a 2,850 pax capacity, that is still over 50 drinks per passenger, sounds like the staff may have been adding up a few extra.:rolleyes:

Missed the word alcoholic, but still 8-10 drinks a day, spread out through the day [about a drink an hour] you would still be under 0.05.

Missed the word alcoholic, but still 8-10 drinks a day, spread out through the day [about a drink an hour] you would still be under 0.05.

Hi Gut!

We would probably have that many :eek:

But I guess not everyone on the ship would, there would be kids, those who don't drink, those unwell....

Cheers

Rosie

Some people have the ability to drink vast amounts, especially beer.

On our "best" day on Rhapsody I think we managed 8 alcoholic drinks: glass of wine with lunch, two afternoon cocktails, pre-dinner cocktail, three glasses of wine with dinner, one after dinner cocktail or liqueur. Normally we only had one afternoon cocktail but that day was very warm and we'd finally discovered the perfect refreshing cocktail that didn't blow our brains out.

But 10 drinks would be possible - an extra glass of wine with lunch, an extra after dinner cocktail which we burn off by dancing.

And you have nothing before lunch, throw n a mimosa or Bloody Mary with breakfast a 2nd glass of wine at lunch and maybe 2 or 3 during the evening show and even 15 isn't out of the question. Without being rolling drunk.

That depends. Two glasses of wine and I'm usually over 0.05.

Many years ago my ex (6'2" and about 20 stone), another male friend (also 6'2" but thinner) and myself went out for a BYO dinner armed with four bottles of wine and a breathalyzer.

At the end of the bottle of champagne, I was over the limit, friend had just nudged the needle off zero and ex was zero.

After the bottle of white wine, friend was nearly at the limit, ex was still showing zero.

After the bottle of red wine, which the guys drank most of as I'd already had too much, friend was over the limit, ex was still showing zero.

After the final half bottle of dessert wine ex managed to nudge the needle just off zero. Amazing.

Yes, we did take a taxi home. It was an interesting experiment though.

Hi Gut!

We would probably have that many :eek:

But I guess not everyone on the ship would, there would be kids, those who don't drink, those unwell....

Cheers

Rosie

G'day Rosie

By unwell do you mean those like me and the bride that don't drink:D.

It is a lot of booze.about 3,000 cartons.

But not every one rolling drunk territory.

Edited by GUT2407

That depends. Two glasses of wine and I'm usually over 0.05.

Many years ago my ex (6'2" and about 20 stone), another male friend (also 6'2" but thinner) and myself went out for a BYO dinner armed with four bottles of wine and a breathalyzer.

At the end of the bottle of champagne, I was over the limit, friend had just nudged the needle off zero and ex was zero.

After the bottle of white wine, friend was nearly at the limit, ex was still showing zero.

After the bottle of red wine, which the guys drank most of as I'd already had too much, friend was over the limit, ex was still showing zero.

After the final half bottle of dessert wine ex managed to nudge the needle just off zero. Amazing.

Yes, we did take a taxi home. It was an interesting experiment though.

My Professional association has its diner each year in a club with breathalyser in the foyer. One bloke drank 8 beers one after another, [about 15 minutes] waited 30 minutes and blew zero.

So yep we all take it differently, but the accepted formula is 3 or 4 in the first hour and one an hour thereafter to stay at about 0.05