Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

How is that interesting? Current promotion ends and a new one begins in 5 days.

This one ends and a new slightly modified promotion starts, just like they have been doing almost whole year. There is already another thread about the August promo having all the info about the promo taken or linked from NCL's travel partner site.

Bingo! The cheerleaders will never get this they are to busy kissing NCL's butt. If this increase is for the crew I'm all for it, but something tells me it is not. The cruise lines (not just NCL) are picking the pockets of their own crews more and more everyday. I have talked to several crew members in the past few years and it is disgusting the way the cruise lines treat them.

Cheerleader = Investor

Why are so many people so adamant about what others do with the DSC? It has no effect on their experience. The most logical reason is that it lines their pockets.

It is revenue. Their is no public accounting of where that money goes yet we are supposed to just believe that it goes to crew? I know one way to ensure my gratuities go to the people who take care of me - give them cash.

Taking a guess here but I think Jim did not answer or understand the question correctly. I believe he is talking about gratuities being added on free promos like UBP which is not the question asked.

The question asked was - When cruise lines offer promos of free DSC or on other lines free auto - tips / prepaid gratuties... Does NCL and other lines really dip into their pocket and pay the $12 - 13.50 per person to their staff or do they just make zero on the computer and move on??

No matter what anyone says, no one knows for sure what NCL does....there is speculation, but no true facts. The only thing I would assume is that if the crew is not getting their normal share of the DSC because of a promotion, there would be a riot, thus leading me to believe that NCL does (possibly their marketing department, like mine use to) pay the DSC. Edited by NLH Arizona

Bingo! The cheerleaders will never get this they are to busy kissing NCL's butt. If this increase is for the crew I'm all for it, but something tells me it is not. The cruise lines (not just NCL) are picking the pockets of their own crews more and more everyday. I have talked to several crew members in the past few years and it is disgusting the way the cruise lines treat them.

Here, NCL is telling you it's for the crew. http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

So what exactly is telling you it is not? Paranoia?

Cheerleader = Investor

Why are so many people so adamant about what others do with the DSC? It has no effect on their experience. The most logical reason is that it lines their pockets.

It is revenue. Their is no public accounting of where that money goes yet we are supposed to just believe that it goes to crew? I know one way to ensure my gratuities go to the people who take care of me - give them cash.

If market forces dictate that the going rate to convince somebody to leave behind their spouses, children & families for 8 - 9 months at a time and to work 10 hour shifts for 7 consecutive days each week is $x,xxx per month, then in order to hire & remain fully staffed the DSC needs to cover the bulk of that income.

if you remove yours, where do you think the rest is coming from? Me. I have to pay more, in order to cover your removal.

That's why I argue against those who think they can justify simply removing it.

The argument...it's your money, spend it how you like? Are these people thieves? Do they walk up to the dealership and say "yes, I'd like that Mercedes C350 with all of the available options. Give me the keys, but it's my money and I'm not going to spend it on this."?

You know going in that there's a separate charge for service. You receive the service. Why would you think you shouldn't pay for it?

SMH.

Stephen

Here, NCL is telling you it's for the crew. http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If market forces dictate that the going rate to convince somebody to leave behind their spouses, children & families for 8 - 9 months at a time and to work 10 hour shifts for 7 consecutive days each week is $x,xxx per month, then in order to hire & remain fully staffed the DSC needs to cover the bulk of that income.

if you remove yours, where do you think the rest is coming from? Me. I have to pay more, in order to cover your removal.

That's why I argue against those who think they can justify simply removing it.

The argument...it's your money, spend it how you like? Are these people thieves? Do they walk up to the dealership and say "yes, I'd like that Mercedes C350 with all of the available options. Give me the keys, but it's my money and I'm not going to spend it on this."?

You know going in that there's a separate charge for service. You receive the service. Why would you think you shouldn't pay for it?

SMH.

Stephen

Why do so many who post on these boards concern themselves what others do about the DSC. NCL offers to pay it as a booking bonus, so they can surely make up the difference if there is a shortfall, can't they ??

If I decide to cancel my DSc, I would not let anyone on these boards know because of the name calling and negativity. Most of us have no idea whether the crew is getting all or a small portion of the DSC, so the "stiff the crew" arguments are falling on deaf ears !!

I would have no problem stiffing Del Rio, because his goal is to try to remove some extra dollars from my pocket.

Why do so many who post on these boards concern themselves what others do about the DSC. NCL offers to pay it as a booking bonus, so they can surely make up the difference if there is a shortfall, can't they ??

If I decide to cancel my DSc, I would not let anyone on these boards know because of the name calling and negativity. Most of us have no idea whether the crew is getting all or a small portion of the DSC, so the "stiff the crew" arguments are falling on deaf ears !!

I would have no problem stiffing Del Rio, because his goal is to try to remove some extra dollars from my pocket.

I agree maybe instead of us paying the remainder of their wages ncl should wise up and up theirs

I always pay a generous tip to the cabin person and also to the bars staff and servers who I think has treated me right.

I work all year don't earn tips and have to do overtime to pay for extras like this cruise the rest for bills.

So I appreciate hard work but the tip should go to who had made my holiday worth while!!! [emoji6]

SMH.

Stephen

So is it a service charge or a gratuity?

You say service charge, their FAQ says service charge, but their terms and conditions (at least in the new August promo coming out) have not looked elsewhere as I can't be bothered it says:

Service Charges:

Prepaid gratuities, otherwise referred to as "Service Charges," applicable to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom 3 years of age and up.

But a gratuity is not mandatory and for a gratuity to even be a gratuity it is at the consumers discretion, the consumer has full right to select the amount and to whom they wish to tip.

So if their terms say its a "gratuity" but their FAQ says not obligated to tip but their is a service charge then what one is it? or is it good marketing how they worded it in FAQ for people to believe it's not an auto tip?

Edited by jb456

I explained the answer to your question, in the post you quoted. The more people who remove the DSC, the higher the DSC has to go for the rest of us, in order to retain staff.

So is it a service charge or a gratuity?

You say service charge, their FAQ says service charge, but their terms and conditions (at least in the new August promo coming out) have not looked elsewhere as I can't be bothered it says:

Service Charges:

Prepaid gratuities, otherwise referred to as "Service Charges," applicable to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom 3 years of age and up.

But a gratuity is not mandatory and for a gratuity to even be a gratuity it is at the consumers discretion, the consumer has full right to select the amount and to whom they wish to tip.

So if their terms say its a "gratuity" but their FAQ says not obligated to tip but their is a service charge then what one is it? or is it good marketing how they worded it in FAQ for people to believe it's not an auto tip?

It has always been referred to as a Service Charge. Gratuities are not required on NCL, except for bars, spa & specialty restaurants.

Everybody else is covered by the Service Charge, with the notable exceptions of the Butlers, Concierge and Kid's Club personnel.

Stephen

P.S. Even the entire CC board refers to it as DSC - which, even though the "d" is disputed as being either Daily, or Discretionary - all would agree that the SC stands for Service Charge.

It has always been referred to as a Service Charge. Gratuities are not required on NCL, except for bars, spa & specialty restaurants.

Everybody else is covered by the Service Charge, with the notable exceptions of the Butlers, Concierge and Kid's Club personnel.

Stephen

P.S. Even the entire CC board refers to it as DSC - which, even though the "d" is disputed as being either Daily, or Discretionary - all would agree that the SC stands for Service Charge.

Then why does their terms and conditions for August promo say that the service charge is actually a gratuity?

I'll ask you my question again - You wrote Gratuities are not required other then bars, spa, etc it's a service charge. Thats what their FAQ says also - BUT - terms and conditions they say it is PREPAID GRATUITIES that is referred as a "service charge"

So what one is it? Marketing trickery in FAQ I guess?

Untitled.jpg

http://partners.ncl.com/destroot/norwegian/files/download/pieces/60014/terms/FreeStyleChoiceAugust2015_Terms.html

So I guess since gratuities are not required according to you and NCL - I will remove my DSC to ZERO - Since the DSC is a gratuity.

Edited by jb456

Then why does their terms and conditions for August promo say that the service charge is actually a gratuity?

I'll ask you my question again - You wrote Gratuities are not required other then bars, spa, etc it's a service charge. Thats what their FAQ says also - BUT - terms and conditions they say it is PREPAID GRATUITIES that is referred as a "service charge"

So what one is it? Marketing trickery in FAQ I guess?

Untitled.jpg

http://partners.ncl.com/destroot/norwegian/files/download/pieces/60014/terms/FreeStyleChoiceAugust2015_Terms.html

So I guess since gratuities are not required according to you and NCL - I will remove my DSC to ZERO - Since the DSC is a gratuity.

Because their marketing people are idiots.

Seems to be catching, too.

Interestingly on the Royal Caribbean UK site, they actually do break down how the pre-paid gratuities are divided out. This is the first time I've seen this explicitly spelled out:

From the site:

=================

Guide to pre-paid gratuities

So that you can thank those who have made your cruise holiday better than you could have imagined, we've developed these guidelines for tipping:

Waiter: USD 3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: USD 2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter: USD 0.75 a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: USD 5.00 a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: USD 7.25 a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. Amounts are shown in USD as this is the currency used onboard all ships.

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served. Envelopes for tips will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

- Pre-pay now with your online booking.

- Added to your on board SeaPass payment account.

- Paid in cash at the end of the cruise.

Interestingly on the Royal Caribbean UK site, they actually do break down how the pre-paid gratuities are divided out. This is the first time I've seen this explicitly spelled out

Many other cruise lines (but not NCL) do this, I've seen similar breakdowns for Disney and Celebrity too.

Carnival also spelled out clearly, in black & white, on their website - in plain English language - their (15%, still) tipping policy and how it is allocated (effective since Oct. 2014)

What is the tipping policy onboard?

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

Voyages departing Octobe
r 9, 2014 onward; the total amount is $12.00 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team $3.90 per day

• Dining room service team $6.10 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

For Cruises-To-Nowhere; gratuities of $12.00 USD or its equivalent in foreign currency, per guest, per day must be prepaid.

As a convenience gratuities will be automatically posted to your Sail & Sign account on the second day of your cruise. Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. Once gratuities have been posted, you may adjust them at your discretion at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES: All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

*Gratuities do not apply to guests less than 2 years of age

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/faqs/default.aspx?icid=CC_Contact_Us_440#q-25

The trends for higher tipping amount on land, from a global traveler's perspective, is mostly an American cultural mindset - in recognition of paying workers a living wage, in other parts of the world - 10% is sometimes the average, 15% is often considered quite good & above the norm, and yet in other places - no tipping is required and expected. There are always exceptions & special rules, but - if you travel to places like China or Korea, etc. tipping is foreign to the locals. There is also a linguistic issue in the translation and use of terminology, but I'll not get further into this hot topic.

NCL seemed to be trying to be "innovative" in making some of changes for the cruise industry, and it - surely - make financial sense for their business - but not necessary for how each of us feel about it - YMMV - and, let the disagreement continue ... too bad if the cheerleaders feelings aren't the same as some of us.

Edited by mking8288

Do you all remember the commercial where the little girl is selling drinks for a nickel. A customer comes over and says the other guy is advertising drinks for 4 cents. But, then adds a penny for the cup, and another for the ice, making his 6 cents. Does this scenario have a familiar ring to it?

NCL cruise rates are very competitive. They're gratuities/service charges, or whatever they're calling them these days, are the highest of any main stream cruise line. This is the classic misdirection play. No matter how you look at it, it all comes down to getting more revenue, with the same product. We all need to just make sure they're still providing us the best bang for our buck, in total cost. I'm sure a lot of cruisers don't look at all the costs, and NCL will be better off for it.

I haven't heard a lot of grumbling from the crew I know, about NCL being the worst cruise line for compensation. If it gets to be the case, I'm sure we'll see movement.

I haven't heard a lot of grumbling from the crew I know, about NCL being the worst cruise line for compensation. If it gets to be the case, I'm sure we'll see movement.

When I was on the Jade in May, I was told that since the new upper management change happened 300 people had left that ship. I consider that a considerable amount.

Rochelle

When I was on the Jade in May, I was told that since the new upper management change happened 300 people had left that ship. I consider that a considerable amount.

Rochelle

Was your source any more reliable than the bus driver from Wilderness Lodge to EPCOT?

Rochelle

If that's true, and consistent across the line, then eventually it will be visible in the service. There's always a certain amount of normal turnover. There's movement that ripples through the line every time a new ship comes out. They can't have all three going on at the same time without it affecting service.

Personally, I understand a lot goes on behind the scenes, when it looks like everything is just fine to the passengers. If NCL isn't taking care of their crew, in the long term, it will bite them. Seems way too short sighted.

Was your source any more reliable than the bus driver from Wilderness Lodge to EPCOT?

I trusted the person who told me that information was being truthful. A large portion of that number have left because of a difference with the new management. People are also being let go as management is cracking down and being stricter for many reasons including in terms of customer service.

It is my understanding that there is a lot of pressure on everyone on board. There seems to be little tolerance for customer complaints and zero tolerance if gratuities are discussed (immediate dismissal). I had an issue with a bartender and their comment regarding gratuities and felt it needed to be mentioned to someone higher up but did not give their name or even bar location when I sat down for a face to face as I would have not wanted to see someone lose their job.

I was just relating my experience and what I was told. You are entitled to your own opinion.

Rochelle

If that's true, and consistent across the line, then eventually it will be visible in the service. There's always a certain amount of normal turnover. There's movement that ripples through the line every time a new ship comes out. They can't have all three going on at the same time without it affecting service.

Personally, I understand a lot goes on behind the scenes, when it looks like everything is just fine to the passengers. If NCL isn't taking care of their crew, in the long term, it will bite them. Seems way too short sighted.

I agree but I must say there was nothing that led me to believe any of this was due to new ships or the movement of staff. Although I can see how that would have a ripple effect as you mentioned.

Rochelle

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Norwegian-Cruise-Line/salaries

The above link shows salaries for stewards waiters cooks etc. Interesting

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It's a little less than I'd previously heard, but I'm sure it's more than many around here think. Lots of posters want to pretend these people are some kind of slave labor, or merely victims of evil management. Keep in mind they also receive room and board along with that wage.

It's a little less than I'd previously heard, but I'm sure it's more than many around here think. Lots of posters want to pretend these people are some kind of slave labor, or merely victims of evil management. Keep in mind they also receive room and board along with that wage.

No I never thought cruise line management (not just NCL) was evil because if they were, some of their employees wouldn't work for them time after time. The companies must be doing something right for staff to stay working for them. Not only that, what seems like low pay to us is high pay to the staff, especially if you're not spending it at all while working with room & board.

http://www.jobmonkey.com/cruise/earning_and_saving/

This is a pretty interesting article reviewing salaries as well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

For a Filipino, making $1,200 a month with room and board is about twice what a school teacher makes in the Philippines, so it is not surprising that many college educated do manual labor and are grateful to be able to send so much money home to support many family members.

NCL must be in pretty dire financial straits right now.

ncl supposedly released quarterly earning yesterday after the bell.

lets see how the stock does today.

down 5% premarket?! but VERY light volume.. only 6k shares

Edited by fstuff1