NCL: A Contrarian View

Dr. Cocktail

There were a number as I recall, exactly how many I don't know because I didn't keep track. Change is change but the change that is getting me the most is the seeming direction that Del Rio wants to take NCL and if I am right in that the recent changes are only the tip of the ice berg. I know that I would probably feel differently if I hadn't read his interview where he talked about $4 or $5 more per passenger or the statements to investors saying that passengers are a captive audience. The changes may work out to be a good thing for NCL (only time is going to tell if the strategy is going to work), but that doesn't mean that they will be good for me as an individual customer.

Going with Sparks here, NCL has the highest DSC of all mass lines. Not sure if I like that idea.

After management, advertising and marketing did their work it's up to customer's individual feelings/moods, am I interested to buy, maybe or not.. And some of use, as repeat customers, have second thoughts about cruising on NCL again, expressing them on CC is also part of our freedom/cruising hobbies.

Yes, he could work on his delivery some:). My biggest concern is the seeming direction Del Rio wants to take NCL- he wants to turn NCL into a more upscale line and I've no interest in sailing on Oceania lite. If the price is right I'll still choose NCL (at least once more;)) but given the pricing I've seen lately I don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon.

I actually agree with you, if the end goal is to turn Norwegian into an upscale line i would likely find another line as well. Only because the upscale lines tend to attract a much older group lol.

I actually agree with you, if the end goal is to turn Norwegian into an upscale line i would likely find another line as well. Only because the upscale lines tend to attract a much older group lol.

Umm...It's already a premium/upscale line due to the suites /Haven and the perks that comes with those rooms. Pricing is hit or miss with the regular cabins.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Umm...It's already a premium/upscale line due to the suites /Haven and the perks that comes with those rooms. Pricing is hit or miss with the regular cabins.

No, it's considered a main stream line, even though none of the other mainstreams does suites as well as NCL does.

No, it's considered a main stream line, even though none of the other mainstreams does suites as well as NCL does.

You mean 'Budget' because Disney and Princess are just as mainstream but they're not low price either. I guess its all about expectations of what people think is 'Budget /Overall low prices' like Carnival because the changes are definitely moving it to the direction of like Disney, Princess and Celebrity, where people pay more in fare and some other stuff (at least Disney hasn't raise their DSC - yet).

You mean 'Budget' because Disney and Princess are just as mainstream but they're not low price either. I guess its all about expectations of what people think is 'Budget /Overall low prices' like Carnival because the changes are definitely moving it to the direction of like Disney, Princess and Celebrity, where people pay more in fare and some other stuff (at least Disney hasn't raise their DSC - yet).

You're saying Carnival is close to X?

Edited by FreestyleNovice

You're saying Carnival is close to X?

I'm saying Carnival is more low budget compare to Celebrity that bit higher in the overall pricing even the extra fees- which is what NCL is starting to look like now. NCL looks more like Celebrity/Princess which is more upscale/premium than Carnival right now with all increases across the board plus suites/Haven rooms and the perks that comes with those rooms .

Edited by maywell

I'm saying Carnival is more low budget compare to Celebrity that bit higher in the overall pricing even the extra fees- which is what NCL is starting to look like now. NCL looks more like Celebrity/Princess which is more upscale/premium than Carnival right now with all increases across the board plus suites/Haven rooms and the perks that comes with those rooms .

Ah, I misunderstood you :)

Ah, I misunderstood you :)

No worries - I should had wrote that last sentence in the earlier post a bit more clearly in retrospect. Carnival is way more cheaper than those lines like Celebrity overall due to not nickel & diming as much on top, which is the complete opposite of what NCL is doing.Let's be honest, that is exactly what's going on right now . NCL is doing the cheap fare/promo but raise everything else to point where it could be outrageously expensive for some people - and I think that's what they are aiming....

Have to disagree, even with the Haven, NCL is not a premium/upscale line. It is a mass market line and I doubt they would ever be successful making in an upscale line, unless there were mega changes and I think that would be too cost prohibitive.

I cruise on three cruise lines: NCL (mass market or mainstream), Celebrity (premium) and Crystal (Luxury). And NCL doesn't come close to Celebrity.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You mean 'Budget' because Disney and Princess are just as mainstream but they're not low price either. I guess its all about expectations of what people think is 'Budget...

You may have your personal opinions about NCL and what you think is "budget" or "premium," and that's fine, but by definition, NCL is not a premium cruise line. The classifications of cruise lines come with specific definitions. Lines like Carnival and NCL are "Mainstream" or "Contemporary" depending on what site you look at. Lines like Princess, Celebrity and HAL are "Premium," and they are placed into that category for things like enrichment programs and better cuisine.

So no,by definition, Disney and Princess are not just as "Mainstream" as NCL.

It may not come close now but I believe that Del Rio's goal is to get it there. Not sure what his timeline is, but doubt that it's going to be a quick thing.

Not a chance. Lines like NCL, RCI and CCL adorned with waterslides, ziplines, ropes course, etc, will never be in the same swimlane as lines like Celebrity, Princess and HAL. I'm not saying one's better than the other...just different.

But I gotta be totally honest here....I did laugh for a second when I saw the suggestion in this thread of NCL possibly being on the level of Celebrity. :D

Edited by Aquahound

At the end of the day, you get what you give out of a cruise vacation, and I, not talking about what comes out of your wallet. Yes, I know I've only been on 2 cruises now and they've both been with NCL, but hear me out. If people walk into the experience with a piss poor attitude (ie: OMG!!! Del Rio is robbing me BLIND!!! I've seen that a lot in the past few days) then you'll have a HORRIBLE time on your ship. You need to have he mind set of "I'm going to have a great vacation" and guess what? You will. After all, vacation should be fun, right?

I would agree on Disney (have cruised with them) and maybe Celebrity (strictly by word of mouth, haven't cruised with them). Princess and Hal premium? No. We've cruised on both and I would rate them the same as NCL, in fares and service (although I still wouldn't rate them the same in suites, NCL edges out there). Where would you then put Royal Caribbean and MSC?

Edited by tarps14

I would agree on Disney (have cruised with them) and maybe Celebrity (strictly by word of mouth, haven't cruised with them). Princess and Hal premium? No. We've cruised on both and I would rate them the same as NCL, in fares and service. Where would you then put Royal Caribbean and MSC?

It's not me, nor is it anyone else's personal opinion. It's the powers that be who classify the lines based on what's offered.

But since you asked, RCI and MSC are also listed under Mainstream or Contemporary.

Not a chance. Lines like NCL, RCI and CCL adorned with waterslides, ziplines, ropes course, etc, will never be in the same swimlane as lines like Celebrity, Princess and HAL. I'm not saying one's better than the other...just different.

But I gotta be totally honest here....I did laugh for a second whenIi saw the suggestion in this thread of NCL possibly being on the level of Celebrity. :D

Its not what's actually on the ship or service that pushing NCL (and by extension RCL) to aim for 'Premium' - its the Prices and/or with Promos that currently happening right now. Heck, even Carnival is trying to pull a 'Royal' with no last minute cheap deals. It going to be case where it going to hard to tell difference between 'premium' and 'mainstream' (as you and others like to say, but I call it 'budget') because the pricing are going to be about the same - and it already happen.

It may not come close now but I believe that Del Rio's goal is to get it there. Not sure what his timeline is, but doubt that it's going to be a quick thing.
I know you keep saying that he is trying to make it an upscale line, but there is no way he could do that without putting millions , if not billions, into the product, so I really don't think that is his goal.

Its not what's actually on the ship or service that pushing NCL (and by extension RCL) to aim for 'Premium' - its the Prices and/or with Promos that currently happening right now. Heck, even Carnival is trying to pull a 'Royal' with no last minute cheap deals. It going to be case where it going to hard to tell difference between 'premium' and 'mainstream' (as you and others like to say, but I call it 'budget') because the pricing are going to be about the same - and it already happen.

I think you're confusing classification with pricing. They're not one in the same. Even if NCL charged the cost of Regent or Seabourn, that doesn't make them both Luxury lines.

I know you keep saying that he is trying to make it an upscale line, but there is no way he could do that without putting millions , if not billions, into the product, so I really don't think that is his goal.

He doesn't have to because a part of it is already upscale (suites/Haven). The real matter is pricing and making changes to make it more 'premium' or upscale-like for regular cabins - that's what those changes to NCL are. It only a matter of time when Del Rio makes even more changes, without annoucing it to customers, for better or worse...

I think you're confusing classification with pricing. They're not one in the same. Even if NCL charged the cost of Regent or Seabourn, that doesn't make them both Luxury lines.

Check out the pricing for HAL, Celebrity, and Princess, all premium - literally the same as NCL and Royal's pricing. Then look at NCL current promos and Celebrity's, then realize that Celebrity did it 1st and NCL is copying them.

Edit- No, I not confusing classifications, the lines have been blurred between those 'mainstream' and 'premium' since last year.

Edited by maywell

He doesn't have to because a part of it is already upscale (suites/Haven). The real matter is pricing and making changes to make it more 'premium' or upscale-like for regular cabins - that's what those changes to NCL are. It only a matter of time when Del Rio makes even more changes, without annoucing it to customers, for better or worse...

It's not just Del Rio. It's not like it's one person waving a magic wand saying "how can I piss off and screw over my customers today?" More than likely, it's the board of directors, shareholders or some other governing party that is making these changes. Just saying.

It doesn't matter that the Haven is upscale, to be a premium line, the entire ship has to be upscale and, if you have cruised premium or luxury lines, there is no comparison. Pricing has nothing to do with the classification of a ship (mainstream, premium and luxury), it is determined by the ship's public areas, the ship's cabins, the ship's dining, the ship's activities, etc. and trust me, from someone who cruises all three categories, even if NCL were to redo their cabins, they would fall very short from being premium or upscale. NCL can change the price and charge someone $1,000 for a cabin, but in the end, the person will only get an overpriced cabin on a mainstream/mass market ship. It can not be more premium or upscale, they have to be premium or upscale or nothing....there is no passing the ships off as premium when it is not.

Not to mention, that if Mr. Del Rio tries to reclassify NCL as a premium line, he will probably loose a lot of his customer base and those that cruise on premium lines will have to be sold on the fact that they have changed from a mainstream cruise line to a premium cruise line and that would take a very long time, because many consider NCL a budget cruise line, and I don't think NCL has enough money to wait.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It's not just Del Rio. It's not like it's one person waving a magic wand saying "how can I piss off and screw over my customers today?" More than likely, it's the board of directors, shareholders or some other governing party that is making these changes. Just saying.

Yea, I know Del Rio (and Andy Stuart) needs the board's approval to makes changes - I just write his name down for simplicity sakes.