Luggage tags -- Alaska land tour before cruise

pennst8r

What's your opinion regarding putting Princess luggage tags on suitcases before leaving your home airport when you have the Alaska land tour before the cruise?

When I go on a Caribbean cruise, I always tag my luggage from home, even though I spend the night before the cruise in a Fort Lauderdale hotel. I do this in case my luggage takes a trip that I'm not taking ;)! With the tag on, I feel it has a better chance of getting to the ship if it gets lost on the first day.

With a four-day land tour prior to the cruise, I wonder if I should wait to attach the tags until the end of the land portion. Your opinion/suggestion, please.

Thanks!

What's your opinion regarding putting Princess luggage tags on suitcases before leaving your home airport when you have the Alaska land tour before the cruise?

With a four-day land tour prior to the cruise, I wonder if I should wait to attach the tags until the end of the land portion. Your opinion/suggestion, please.

Thanks!

On your land tour, each person is allowed one suitcase to accompany them. Any additional suitcases will be collected at the start of your land tour and will next be seen in your cabin on the ship.

Do not put the ship tags on the suitcases that will be with you on the land tour. If you do, you may not see them until you get to the ship. When your land tour starts, you will be given special tags to get the land tour luggage to the next lodge. On the final evening of the land tour is the time to put the ship tags on.

As noted, first, you will get the tags you need on arrival I think, as opposed to ship tags...

Second, its generally a bad idea to have anything with a barcode attached to luggage for air travel, it can mess up the sorting system and have your bag diverted for manual sort or even worse to the wrong location, which may mean delays in getting it at claim or at all.

Thanks everyone for your advice; it all makes perfect sense!

Since I've already printed the luggage tags for the 12 of us, we'll just hold on to them in case we need them at the end of the land tour. I suppose we'll get further instructions once we arrive in Alaska as to the need to have the online luggage tags at all. Glad I printed them, though; better to be safe.

Loonbeam, I never even considered the potential for a bar code having an effect on the airline sorting system. Good point!

As always, a wealth of info to be had on these boards. I didn't get much help when I called Princess. (I guess that comes as no surprise from what I've read numerous times here. ;) :eek:)

T

Since I've already printed the luggage tags for the 12 of us, we'll just hold on to them in case we need them at the end of the land tour. I suppose we'll get further instructions once we arrive in Alaska as to the need to have the online luggage tags at all. Glad I printed them, though; better to be safe.

Yes, you will need them the last evening so your bags can be taken to the ship the next day.

If you haven't done so already I suggest reading THIS THREAD

Thank you, Thrak, for the link to the review. And thank you, Caribill, for that fabulous review and amazing photos!

I did the cruise-tour 14 years ago but don't remember much of the particulars. I imagine, too, that things may have been done differently then. I do remember sending one piece of luggage directly to the ship.

After reading that review, I'm even more excited about my upcoming Alaska trip. Even more special -- especially since I usually travel solo -- is that I'll be sharing the experience with 11 other family members, including my four great-nephews and one great-niece!

Thanks to all who have been so generous with advice/information.

After reading that review, I'm even more excited about my upcoming Alaska trip. Even more special -- especially since I usually travel solo -- is that I'll be sharing the experience with 11 other family members, including my four great-nephews and one great-niece!

Have a great trip!!!!