flight after cruise ..can I make it?

StacyB2011

You don't say how you are getting from PC to MCO

If you do self-disembark and have your transportation pre-arranged, should be good.

Of course, there are many factors you cannot control, ship arriving late back to port, Custom's hold/issues, traffic.

I'd opt for a flight after 12 pm. You're cutting it close. There was a recent ship (can't remember which one) that had to divert to SJ due to a medical emergency & was hours late arriving back to port. One hiccup like that on your cruise and you miss the flight.

I come back on a Friday after my cruise in Aug....The flight on sale departs in Orlando at 11:40...Can I make it from Port Canaveral on time..or would u say that's cutting it too close??

You will be cutting it close... Port Canaveral to MCO is about 45min drive.

IF you are one of the first off the ship, and IF you have transportation prearranged, and IF the ship doesn't return to port late, and IF there are no traffic delays, and IF everything goes smoothly in customs, you have a pretty good chance of making that flight.

Edited by Towel Critter

We were on the Sunshine in January. Our group of 24 made an 11:50am return flight home with plenty of time to spare. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

ONE example and you claim- no issue, plenty of time?

I lived an hour from Pt Canaveral and when I got off the ship, NOT using self assist, I would be home by 9:30. I have had family sailing with me and they had arranged for transportation to the airport through Travelynx and were at the airport by 9:00.

Having said that, we never got off the ship on a Friday. It was always Saturday or Sunday. As long as there are no mishaps, you should be good to go with the flight you want to take.

One thing that I wouldn't do is use Carnival transportation to the airport as they wait for the bus to fill up before leaving so that wastes a lot of time. Travelynx had shuttles that were a lot smaller and with reservations, our relatives were out and on them and soon on their way. I think they also have busses, but they used the shuttles.

IF you are one of the first off the ship, and IF you have transportation prearranged, and IF the ship doesn't return to port late, and IF there are no traffic delays, and IF everything goes smoothly in customs, you have a pretty good chance of making that flight.

and if there are no weather delays returning to port, it is hurricane season ya know:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! OP asked can I make it and I shared my experience which was "yes you can". We generally always fly out before noon and haven't had a problem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use Luggage Express if available. Without TSA PreCheck, security at MCO was 45 minutes. The check-in line for luggage was a mile long. Both lines moved like molasses, chuck full of unhappy children and already exasperated parents.

I'd opt for a flight after 12 pm. You're cutting it close. There was a recent ship (can't remember which one) that had to divert to SJ due to a medical emergency & was hours late arriving back to port. One hiccup like that on your cruise and you miss the flight.

This response makes no sense. Rather than 11:40, you say add 21 minutes, to make it after 12:00. That certainly wouldn't help with the situation you reference.

When I sailed out of port Canaveral in 2013 I picked a return flight at

7:15PM. We had prearranged transportation from port to MCO. When we

arrived at MCO we rented a car and had a wonderful day at Disney Village

then took our time getting back to the airport. NO RUSH NO HEADACHES.

Just another day of vacation. Arrived back in Baltimore around 9:30PM.

Picked up car from long term parking and home around 10:30PM.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I would use Luggage Express if available. Without TSA PreCheck, security at MCO was 45 minutes. The check-in line for luggage was a mile long. Both lines moved like molasses, chuck full of unhappy children and already exasperated parents.

I don't think it's available for this cruise as it is only a 5 night cruise and probably because the time the flight departs

Bill

After 13 cruises, we have never experienced any of the issues stated above where we wouldn't have made that flight. In fact, it get's earlier and earlier that they release everyone from the ship. We are usually ON the ship well before that flight time when we embark, so that means everyone is already off the ship. We have an early flight scheduled from Ft. Lauderdale after docking in Miami and I'm not the least bit concerned. Just get travel insurance and you'll be fine. Don't get it through Carnival if you're trying to save money though!

Edited by sturderick

To the OP....Cruise Critic is full of naysayers when it comes to airline flights...they always look at doom and gloom, its like the 1% of issues that may cause a big delay are definitely going to happen on your return. Cruise ships are maybe late 1 or possible 2 cruises a year...thats a 2% chance....your transportation to the airport depends on on-time pickup to stay in business....a pile up on the 45 minute drive to Orlando (miniscule). Do people traveling from home to their local airport allow 4 hours for travel and airport check-in. Don't think so. I wouldn't have any misgivings about booking that flight.